Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh! Great catch! Was that made blatantly obvious at some point? The drive-in can be a bit distracting with people passing by, sometimes :wink:

Only when Spock directly addressed the crew and the audience on the bridge.

I'm a slave to cable, so as always way behind.....

.... but I'm bored......

The Happening w/ Mark W., Zooey. Pissed off Northeast US foliage tries getting rid of humanity by causing them to kill themselves. Mark, Zooey and youngster must avoid the evil wind. Somehow they do and the killer wind goes to France at the end. This movie sucked, and I saw at the end the director was M. Night Shylalalalalivefortoday. Or something like that, who also did Signs and Sixth Sense. Two other films I did not care for. Rod Serling was able to do these films in 30 minutes on the Twilight Zone, with much greater effect. Avoid this guy like the plague. Cheap thrills, indeed.
I'm supposed to score, right? 3/10 and that's generous. I'd rather look into Zooey's eyes for 90 minutes :)

Let The Right One In.

I really loved the plot, but realized 25 minutes in that the default setting was to play it overdubbed in English. I thought it was simply so and didn't realize I had options. So I need to rewatch it in its original language with subtitles, because I'm sure my opinion was skewed by some bad voice acting. Anyway, still quite the movie. Loved it visually.

I ran into the same problem the first time I saw Diving Bell.

I ran into the same problem the first time I saw Diving Bell.

You probably didn't notice because you were too entranced by the hotness of Marie Josee Croze.

02_0002_film1_diving_bell.jpg

She gave me a different form of Locked-In Syndrome, if you get my meaning.

The Stoning of Soraya M.

8/10

Had a real feel to it.

Great location shots. I don't believe they used any sets.

great casting.

why bother

we are going to have a cool re-make in English
it will no doubt be better, it may even win awards
like Sberg/s cool re-make of Traffik did :up:

I fail to see how an English remake is going to hold a candle to the original.

She gave me a different form of Locked-In Syndrome, if you get my meaning.

Vive la France!

I don't know how I managed to laugh at that right after your "Mazel tov" in the other thread, but I did.

I wouldn't mind baguetting that up.

Public Enemies.

I don't wanna say MEH, but this wasn't one of Mann's better films. Depp is Depp, which means he doesn't even come close to creating a character with the depth of Will Smith in Ali, De Niro or Pacino in Heat, or Colin Farrell in Miami Vice. Not a surprise, as he doesn't have the acting skills of any of those guys. Someone else may not have looked as perfect, but might have made it a bit more interesting. Cotillard blows him out of the water, a fantastic supporting turn

A handful of VERY well done scenes, especially the last 15 minutes or so, so it won me over to an extent. But I wouldn't describe it as anything more than "good".

Miami Vice is a superior film in almost every way, and I'd rank PE at the bottom of Mann's filmography with Collateral (which also had some standout material but overall didn't have much of an effect on me). Keep in mind I like 1-8 a LOT.

1. Heat
2. Manhunter
3. Miami Vice
4. Last of the Mohicans
5. Manhunter
6. The Insider
7. Ali
8. Thief
9. Collateral
10. Public Enemies

N/S The Keep

Watchmen - Director's Cut

I'm going to do something that doesn't happen very often and change my tune regarding Watchmen. I watched the director's cut last night (it's out there on the interwebs) which clocks in at precisely 3 hours with the credits chopped off (thank god for that anyway). In any case, I had a considerably more rewarding time watching the film this time around, though it could be from any number of reasons. Firstly, I'm not willing to give too much credit to the director's cut itself for bringing on this come-around. There's really only one new substantial scene if my memory serves, which is Hollis Mason's death. Speaking of which, it's pretty nifty, at least his killing itself and and added bit to the Night Owl/Rorschach scene following where Dan learns of Mason's death on the TV and flips out on some in the bar gangbanger. Aside from that addition, many of the other scenes are more fuller fleshed out, which is where most of the added 25 minutes comes into play. Most beneficial I think is the bit after Laurie and Dan beat up the thugs in the alley, and she returns to the military base to flesh out Manhattan's departure some more. That and it feels like the escalating nuclear threat has a greater presence throughout this cut than it did in the original, which makes the arrival at the big ending far more organic I think.

Overall, the new cut just smoothes out a lot of rough edges and makes the main plot thread more pronounced, which I feel probably makes it a more watchable movie in that sense. Of course there could be a number of other reasons why I enjoyed it so much this time. Part of it is likely just seeing it a second time. Now, I was just watching it for the hell of it, and wasn't really using my critical eye so much as the first time. However, paradoxically I found myself more intellectually engaged with the film here. Whereas none of the thematic material really resonated when I saw it in theaters, here I actually found the film inspiring my to ponder what's going on in this film world and how all the different characters mirror aspects of society. Also had me thinking about their different attitudes towards being a 'superhero', from Dan and Laurie returning to the game and becoming whole again, to Rorschach's ultra-conservative mad-man blind justice agenda, to Manhattan's divorced-from-humanity God-like perspective and of course Adrian's whole deal at the end.

Of course none of this is still explored with the finesse and depth to which it is in the comic book, but I think this viewing, further removed from all the release-chaos and from reading the book itself, revealed these things that really do exist in the film itself which I probably missed the first time around. However, it still suffers many of the same problems I highlighted originally, most of which stem from its faithfulness in adaptation. Many of the rhythmic beats and storytelling structures from the book simply don't play as well on screen, and I've actually turned around to a less favorable response to Snyder's amped up violence this time around. That didn't bother me the first time, but now I feel it's pretty distracting and a real misstep. On the other hand, many of the smaller scenes and musical cues that irritated me the first time don't really bother me much here. I still think The Sounds of Silence is terrible where it is, and I hated that one even more here, but all the rest either worked for me or merely didn't jar me enough to distract. Even the sec scene in the owl ship almost worked for me this time. I still think it's a misstep overall, but little details emerged here that I didn't catch on to before. For one, when the ship ejaculates fire, there's a shot from the ground (which may or may not have been in the original cut... it's hard to keep all the little additions straight) where the two guys see the light from behind the clouds and it carries a real foreboding connotation of bombs going off in the distance. That and for some reason this time that love scene better paralleled Laurie's first sex scene with Manhattan, and I really felt the contrast between what she's experiences then vs. here with Dan. Like I said, still a misstep tonally, but sort of works within the story. Nice.

The only other thing that really changed for me is perception of performances. For the most part I feel the same regarding the big players: Crudup is fantastic, Haley kills as Rorschach, many of the other leads do a solid if not remarkable job. However this time, Ackerman didn't bother me so much. Her line readings are still all flat, but her physical performance sells most of it. However, Carla Gugino is 10 times worse than I remember. I mean, it doesn't help that she has a lot more screen time in this cut, and I guess it just amplifies how terribly wretched she is here.

So, there's probably still more to say, but I'm pretty happy with this turn around. I'll say the director's cut is probably the de-facto version to watch from here on out, as it doesn't really alter anything major, just fills in some of the dings and scratches. And a more removed second viewing really did wonders for me, though I don't really feel bad about my initial reviews or anything, as many of the fundamental flaws are still there. I think it was just easier for me to overlook this time around. Overall, yeah, you're probably right. One of the best comic/superhero movies ever made, as low as that bar is set...

Maybe a revised 8/10

1. Heat
2. Manhunter
3. Miami Vice
4. Last of the Mohicans
5. Manhunter
6. The Insider
7. Ali
8. Thief
9. Collateral
10. Public Enemies

N/S The Keep

A bit discouraging. Though I'm still holding out hope I'll enjoy it a bit more than you did. However, my ranking of Mann's filmography looks a bit different as well. Also you have Manhunter twice on here.

1. The Insider
2. Heat
3. Miami Vice
4. Collateral
5. Thief
6. Ali
7. Manhunter
8. Last of the Mohicans

Also, nice to see your reevaluation on Watchmen; it's always a good sign when one is able to take a distinct second look at something.

And I felt the same way about Ackerman--her non verbals are a lot better than her dialogue, and she's only half-culpable with the latter, right?

Looking forward to seeing this in the theatre.

Pretty much. A lot of the line deliveries suffer purely because they're cut and pasted straight from the book. A creative decision I don't agree with, but it's hard to fault the actors too much for it.

I personally wouldn't go see the DC in theaters though. But that's just because I hate seeing this sort of thing with strangers who treat it like a party. Just a personal peeve of theater-going. Also, I'm pretty sure my terrible theater experience with the original Watchmen cut contributed to my poor reaction to it. If you take about every negative African American stereotype you can think of and distill it into one 300-pound man, that pretty much defines the guy who sat next to me for that showing. Awful.

That said, I might pick up the blu-ray for this when it comes out, if only to see the DC at a proper resolution and to check out what sounds like a good collection of bonus materials.

I also meant to say before that, while I always loved the film's credit sequence, I think my favorite part of the whole movie is the opening pre-credit sequence - Blake's murder scored by Nat King Cole. If there's anything in his career that tells me Zach Snyder might be a real admirable director some day it's probably that sequence.

Really glad to hear your new thoughts on Watchmen. It's still a flawed film, as you illustrated, but the good definitely outweighs the bad and it's certainly able to translate certain scenes/characterizations extremely well to the screen. Shit, I still have Manhattan's sequence on Mars playing in my head about 4 months after the fact. It's an incredible piece of filmmaking in terms of pacing, performance, music cues... The success of the film does hinge upon the fact that you care for a literal translation from page-to-screen, and it can't live up to the quality of the book, but it's a noble attempt nonetheless.

Kevin Smith brought up a good point in a review of the movie about the graphic nature of the violence and the sex in the film, and how those were handled in the original text. Superhero sex and the violence hit me when I read it for the first time and I could only imagine how it would back in 1985. So Snyder is ultimately responsible for making these sequences stick out for modern audiences or choosing to keep it the same. I had a problem with how insane the knot-top fight scene was in the film, but when I thought about it in that context, it helped.

I always thought the sex scene on the Archie was an inherently funny situation. It was played out a little too broad in the film, but Archie jizzing fire into the sky is a frame in the book.

Hell, I'd go as far as to say that I loved Matthew Goode's portrayal of Adrian, even if it didn't fit the part physically. The masked German accent rubbed some the wrong way, but I dug it.

The film's a good enough achievement in its own right even if it comes from an incredible piece of literature.

A bit discouraging. Though I'm still holding out hope I'll enjoy it a bit more than you did. However, my ranking of Mann's filmography looks a bit different as well. Also you have Manhunter twice on here.

1. The Insider
2. Heat
3. Miami Vice
4. Collateral
5. Thief
6. Ali
7. Manhunter
8. Last of the Mohicans

The Insider
Heat
Manhunter
Collateral
Thief
Miami Vice
Last of the Mohicans

for me, and I enjoy all of them. Haven't seen Ali in a while and I don't want to re-judge it until I see the Director's Cut, and I don't plan too much on watching The Keep.

Going to see Public Enemies tomorrow hopefully.

Kevin Smith brought up a good point in a review of the movie about the graphic nature of the violence and the sex in the film, and how those were handled in the original text. Superhero sex and the violence hit me when I read it for the first time and I could only imagine how it would back in 1985. So Snyder is ultimately responsible for making these sequences stick out for modern audiences or choosing to keep it the same. I had a problem with how insane the knot-top fight scene was in the film, but when I thought about it in that context, it helped.

I can buy that. But I also think, given that times have changed so much and we're so used to violence in film and in superhero movies even now, that's maybe a point that didn't even need to be made in the movie. It's an important point in the novel, because it's incontext of its own medium, but it's a different game here, and more than anything that's one statement that doesn't really mean much these days. However, what I did take away from that sequence and the prison break, both of which feature Dan and Laurie kicking gratuitous ass, is in relation to those two characters. I think it speaks to their particular stake in dressing up and playing vigilante as you really see they're enjoying it and getting off big time. On the other hand I kind of do think Rorshach's butching the murderer kind of achieves what you suggest, because I even found myself pulling back and wincing when it cut to the guys face being chopped to pieces, and that really spoke to Rorshach's character development there.

I can buy that. But I also think, given that times have changed so much and we're so used to violence in film and in superhero movies even now, that's maybe a point that didn't even need to be made in the movie. It's an important point in the novel, because it's incontext of its own medium, but it's a different game here, and more than anything that's one statement that doesn't really mean much these days. However, what I did take away from that sequence and the prison break, both of which feature Dan and Laurie kicking gratuitous ass, is in relation to those two characters. I think it speaks to their particular stake in dressing up and playing vigilante as you really see they're enjoying it and getting off big time. On the other hand I kind of do think Rorshach's butching the murderer kind of achieves what you suggest, because I even found myself pulling back and wincing when it cut to the guys face being chopped to pieces, and that really spoke to Rorshach's character development there.

Right, but couldn't that sequence be used to satirize violence in action films in a similar way that it was in the novel? The entire prison sequence was fantastic, with that Oldboy-type destruction of that hall of inmates. Loved it.

Rorschach's encounter with the murderer is better in the film than it is on paper, and it makes more sense. His act is still pretty heartless in the novel, leaving the guy to his death, but the change in the movie makes it more immediate. That slow build-up of anger that he has before he destroys the guy like he did that dog was absolutely insane... and I definitely agree with what you said.

Did you ever get a chance to hear the Creative Screenwriting podcast with David Hayter and Alex Tse? Recommend it now after you've just come off re-watching the film.

guy to his death, but the change in the movie makes it more immediate. That slow build-up of anger that he has before he destroys the guy like he did that dog was absolutely insane... and I definitely agree with what you said.

Rorschach.gif

Sorry, I just love having an excuse to post that again.

Did you ever get a chance to hear the Creative Screenwriting podcast with David Hayter and Alex Tse? Recommend it now after you've just come off re-watching the film.

Link pls? I hear about that show every week on filmspotting, but never checked it out.

And to your first point, I might agree, except I just don't think it is satirizing violence in action films. I think Zach Snyder really just thinks it looks cool, though I'm sure he'd say the same thing about needing to amplify the degree of violence to try to keep up with the changing times. I really doubt it's designed to be ironic or satirical though, because that's just how Snyder films his action scene in all 3 of his features.

One could make the argument, especially in the opening scene in Blake's apartment, that Snyder is causing us to look at time as perceived by Dr. Manhattan. As fast or as slow as he chooses (and this is something that really pervades the entire film, from the credit sequence to the various flashbacks of the characters). The usage of Unforgettable on the soundtrack is ironic on several different levels (the perfume is made by Veidt, the public sentiment towards costumed heroes, etc.), but one could also point out the song deals with time and memory literally.

Perhaps I'm giving Snyder too much credit, but of course the end result is what the viewer takes away from it, regardless of director intent. The alley scene needs to be over the top and brutal, because don't we as the audience need to "get off" on it so that we can identify with how it makes Dan and Laurie feel?

Perhaps the prison sequence is finally just overusing it one time too many, as it doesn't serve a purpose that hasn't already been explored.

Link pls? I hear about that show every week on filmspotting, but never checked it out.

And to your first point, I might agree, except I just don't think it is satirizing violence in action films. I think Zach Snyder really just thinks it looks cool, though I'm sure he'd say the same thing about needing to amplify the degree of violence to try to keep up with the changing times. I really doubt it's designed to be ironic or satirical though, because that's just how Snyder films his action scene in all 3 of his features.

Enjoy: Creative Screenwriting Magazine: Watchmen Q&A

It could go either way. I do appreciate how he incorporates levels of pop culture within the movie, too: his Vietnam looks like an amalgamation of other film versions of Vietnam (and the "Ride of the Valkyries" sound cue is there to boot), Manhattan's bedroom looking right out of 2001, Nixon's war room being evocative of Strangelove. That sort of attention to detail and idea seems to be something other than just "looking cool," and if it applies to that sort of post-modern style he employs throughout the rest of the film, you could make a decent argument that the violence follows suit.

One could make the argument, especially in the opening scene in Blake's apartment, that Snyder is causing us to look at time as perceived by Dr. Manhattan. As fast or as slow as he chooses (and this is something that really pervades the entire film, from the credit sequence to the various flashbacks of the characters). The usage of Unforgettable on the soundtrack is ironic on several different levels (the perfume is made by Veidt, the public sentiment towards costumed heroes, etc.), but one could also point out the song deals with time and memory literally.

Perhaps I'm giving Snyder too much credit, but of course the end result is what the viewer takes away from it, regardless of director intent. The alley scene needs to be over the top and brutal, because don't we as the audience need to "get off" on it so that we can identify with how it makes Dan and Laurie feel?

Perhaps the prison sequence is finally just overusing it one time too many, as it doesn't serve a purpose that hasn't already been explored.

That's a really interesting theory. I'd buy it more of the Veidt perfume bottle on Mars thing was left in the film, and more dialogue about he perceives time.

Using slow motion as an aesthetic choice doesn't bother me as long as it comes at the right moment. It never took me out of it during the opening fight sequence but did a little bit during the prison break. I forgive it though, because I love being able to see the action choreography, and I think Snyder stages action pretty well, too, allowing the viewer to almost feel the impact of each hit with his choice of shot and speed. I prefer it over the more prevalent shaky-cam, fast-paced-style, at least.

I think the time thing is a stretch, but as you said, it's kind of out of a filmmakers hands at this point.

But I did suggest the alley scene functions in that very way, whereas a few other occasions of violence don't quite pull it off so well.

Using slow motion as an aesthetic choice doesn't bother me as long as it comes at the right moment. It never took me out of it during the opening fight sequence but did a little bit during the prison break. I forgive it though, because I love being able to see the action choreography, and I think Snyder stages action pretty well, too, allowing the viewer to almost feel the impact of each hit with his choice of shot and speed. I prefer it over the more prevalent shaky-cam, fast-paced-style, at least.

I agree. Much better here than in 300 too, though I'm sure that film really trained him for what he achieves here. Despite some of my reservations regarding some of Watchmen's sequences, Snyder is a total pro as filming action. It's a big reason the opening scene is my favorite part of the movie. It's fucking beautiful. Brilliant spacial choreography, brilliant camera work, and I love the interplay between graceful slow-mo and quick visceral impacts. Kudos to the sound design too for capturing that hyper-real comic crunchiness. A lot of this shit totally puts Nolan to shame in that department. Despite this discussion regarding the tone of these scenes, on their own they stand up with the best Hollywood fights this decade i.e. Spiderman/Matrix series.

After watching it again, can I just reiterate how much I love Sunshine? In fact, I like it better than 28 Days Later.

Public Enemies.

I don't wanna say MEH, but this wasn't one of Mann's better films. Depp is Depp, which means he doesn't even come close to creating a character with the depth of Will Smith in Ali, De Niro or Pacino in Heat, or Colin Farrell in Miami Vice. Not a surprise, as he doesn't have the acting skills of any of those guys. Someone else may not have looked as perfect, but might have made it a bit more interesting. Cotillard blows him out of the water, a fantastic supporting turn

A handful of VERY well done scenes, especially the last 15 minutes or so, so it won me over to an extent. But I wouldn't describe it as anything more than "good".

Miami Vice is a superior film in almost every way, and I'd rank PE at the bottom of Mann's filmography with Collateral (which also had some standout material but overall didn't have much of an effect on me). Keep in mind I like 1-8 a LOT.

1. Heat
2. Manhunter
3. Miami Vice
4. Last of the Mohicans
5. Manhunter
6. The Insider
7. Ali
8. Thief
9. Collateral
10. Public Enemies

N/S The Keep

I'm not as big on Miami Vice as you and Lance are, but I contribute that more to a bad theater experience than anything else, I guess. Plus, like with Ali, I'd like to check out the Director's Cut to see if anything's significantly different.

Anyway, caught Public Enemies today and I enjoyed it a good deal. It doesn't hit the heights of his other films, but like you said, there were some really well-done sequences (the prison breakouts, cabin shootout, Dillinger meeting Billie for the first time) and the rest as passable.

Mann's rejection of exposition for most of the film is refreshing and keeps the flow of the film going as the Purvis/Dillinger cat-and-mouse game continues. I do think the film would've benefited more with a Heat-based template, or at least a stronger performance out of the Purvis character to up the stakes as the FBI pulled in closer to Dillinger. Depp was alright, not remarkable. The performances that did stand-out for me were Cotillard, the guy that played Red, and Stephen Lang as Winstead... especially in the final scene of the film.

There's a lot of good to be found here, just not a whole lot of great.

Looks like I'm waiting till tuesday to catch PE now. Though I guess I'm not expecting a masterpiece or anything any more. Which is fine. Did you catch the filmspotting review?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom