Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 12:35 AM   #346
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
That's fair, but I still do think Empire is the best overall film of the series. Even in some of its best moments, Sith has moments that take away from it (especially some of Palp's character bits during the opening fight scene with Dooku, the faces/sounds he makes in his fights with Mace and Yoda). Nitpicking, yeah, but I definitely agree that Sith is at least the 3rd-best film in the series, at the very least.
I won't argue with you--I think Empire is the best as well. But that's because of the locations, because of Yoda, and because of the fight at the end, much less to do with the heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Too bad that the second half of Sith has nearly EVERY moment that most people wanted to see in the series. It should have that weight regardless, you know? I've always felt that there's 2 films worth of incredible story, instead of 3. There are too many dry stretches in the first two films that again seem like Lucas doesn't know what to cut/keep in. Why are those Rebellion scenes left out of Sith, or the series overall? Seriously? I question Lucas' creative decisions and execution, so that's where my problems lie, I guess.

You're right about Han and Leia phoning it in during Jedi, but comparing the two romances is apples and oranges to me, a subplot vs. the lynch-pin to Anakin's transformation, and I don't buy Padme falling in love with him so easily. He wears his neuroses and instability on his sleeve nearly the entire time... I don't know, with the context of the cut scenes from Clones, it makes more sense, but in the theatrical cut, the progression is kind of there, I just don't buy the motivation.
I agree with you regarding the cut scenes. With Sith, I guess he knew people were sick of the "people sitting around and talking" material so he took some out; to me it never got boring and I could watch that shit all day. The political machinations are why I think the prequels are richer films overall, even if they're theoretically less successful.

As for Clones, shouldn't you include those cut scenes mentally when you consider that romance? It's like asking a jury to disregard some crucial piece of testimony that's been ruled out of bounds on a technicality. Okay, maybe you didn't buy it the first time around. But after seeing those cut scenes, they're in your head when you watch it again. It's not "canon", but to me it's unofficially part of the larger picture, and it gives everything more weight.

We should think about trying to do our own edit of Clones and Sith. I don't really know all the editing stuff as well and it might be a giant pain in the ass. But we could maybe talk about which cut scenes should go where and what to keep, etc.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:40 AM   #347
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:10 AM
Doing a fan edit of those would be pretty damn simple. Everything required could be done in Final Cut pretty easily.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:29 AM   #348
Blue Crack Supplier

Would you rip the DVD and import it as one big file, or scene by scene?

I haven't really dealt with anything that large before.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #349
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I won't argue with you--I think Empire is the best as well. But that's because of the locations, because of Yoda, and because of the fight at the end, much less to do with the heroes.

I agree with you regarding the cut scenes. With Sith, I guess he knew people were sick of the "people sitting around and talking" material so he took some out; to me it never got boring and I could watch that shit all day. The political machinations are why I think the prequels are richer films overall, even if they're theoretically less successful.

As for Clones, shouldn't you include those cut scenes mentally when you consider that romance? It's like asking a jury to disregard some crucial piece of testimony that's been ruled out of bounds on a technicality. Okay, maybe you didn't buy it the first time around. But after seeing those cut scenes, they're in your head when you watch it again. It's not "canon", but to me it's unofficially part of the larger picture, and it gives everything more weight.

We should think about trying to do our own edit of Clones and Sith. I don't really know all the editing stuff as well and it might be a giant pain in the ass. But we could maybe talk about which cut scenes should go where and what to keep, etc.
Yes, but because of the character growth of all three as well. Everyone steps it up a notch, and then you've got fucking Lando and Lobot.

Indeed. I just kind of wish the actual rebellion subplot was either introduced a bit in Clones to begin with, that way you could play with it a little more in Sith.

You know what, I probably should, but it's been such a long time watching the prequels that I've kind of forgotten the significance of those scenes.

Right, but I like to judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Doing a fan edit of those would be pretty damn simple. Everything required could be done in Final Cut pretty easily.
Color correction, if needed, is a bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Would you rip the DVD and import it as one big file, or scene by scene?

I haven't really dealt with anything that large before.
Scene-by-scene. Final Cut would shit a brick if you tried to hold a file that large. The best way to do it is to rip it to your computer as an .m4v (Apple TV) file, that retains most of the DVD quality, then transfer it to .DV to edit in Final Cut. It's a bulky file-size, but it makes it the easiest to edit once you get it into Final Cut.

I would love to help you guys out with that, as I've got a radical idea for a three-film fan-edit of my own. In the meantime, check out this wacky idea:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/top...nt/topic/9653/

And this could be helpful: http://www.watchtheclonewars.com/Wat...rs-Movies.html
Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #350
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:10 AM
Old 05-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #351
Blue Crack Supplier

Best SW product ever (unofficial):

Old 05-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #352
Blue Crack Addict

sorry, wrong thread
Old 05-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #353
Blue Crack Addict

The Girlfriend Experience

Well. This is going to be hard. Not sure how to say all I want to say without writing some huge rambling analysis, which I don't really want to do right now. Though the film certainly warrants it. I'll keep my points brief. This might be my favorite film from The Berg. Certainly his most beautiful, and I'd argue now between this and Che, he had probably developed the most aesthetically pleasing digital visual sense of all the big DV players these days (Lynch, Mann, Fincher, etc.). This film is utterly gorgeous. He returns to some of his chronology tricks here, and the film's fractured narrative timeline feels much more organic than a lot of movies that take this approach. He's not playing tricks with the chronology, but time is not a rigid dimension of this particular story, and such the film feels like a living being. It reminds me or Woody Allen in that sense or Wong Kar-Wai (in the mode of Ashes of Time or 2046).

For a 77-minute feature, it's also remarkably dense. This is where I could go off on a tangent, but I'm amazed at the ground he covers here thematically: current socio-political parallels to interpersonal relationships, the currency of flesh, critical media power, class stratification, urban gentrification and dissociation, personal crisis, the meta relationship between the film/its character and Sasha Grey's own profession/art/the adult entertainment industry itself, questions of role-playing and superficial personalities versus true identification, and it even manages to successfully sustain an effective character story between Christine and her boyfriend.

So yeah. I wasn't disappointed.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 AM   #354
Blue Crack Distributor

Cadillac Records

Eh.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #355
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
pardon me for interrupting Interference Random Movie Talk

But, I did see

T- Salvation last night

I think I liked it a little better than the Wolverine

about a 7/10

It was fun to watch, but forgettable

- Sam Worthington - brings a lot

won't add much to or hurt Bale
I totally agree but I'd give it a 5/10 only because I felt that it was pointless (really, what changed in the end?) and because the Ahhhnold part was so incredibly cheesy. Although at least that got me to actually laugh out loud.

I liked Sam Worthington a lot - generally you get very faceless side characters that blend into the environment but he was really interesting, and played well.

It's an alright blockbuster movie, I thought it would be REALLY bad, and was sort of pleasantly surprised.

I think that I'll watch UP next.

Oh I also saw Taken last night. 6/10.

Really, this movie was just silly. The silliest part was all the information that Liam Neeson was able to get off that phone call. I was surprised that he also didn't find out how many chickens Marko's grandmother owned out in the village. It was pretty fast paced if you can get past the sheer stupidity of what he was able to do in the movie (which CIA did this guy belong to??).
Old 05-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #356
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 12:10 PM
I saw Twilight.

yea.

uh huh.

yep.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #357
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:10 AM
Well, Maddie, now you and NSW have something in common.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 AM   #358
Blue Crack Addict

Terminator Salvation

There are honestly no words for how much I hate McG and Christian Bale. I'll give this a full bonus point for Sam Worthington's talent, but that's it. Total score = 1.5
Old 05-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #359
Blue Crack Supplier

I want you off the set, you prick!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #360
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 12:10 PM
I wanna see T4.

I am going to fire popcorn and drink at Christian 'MY NAME IS JOHN CONNER, YOU PR*CK!' Bale's face.

Bring back little Edward!