Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that Australia was beyond heinous. Hideously long, awfully boring 3 hours of my life that I'll never get back. There was barely any shirtless Hugh in it anyway.

What a horrible movie.

I sing you to me, Mrs. Cori.

:sad:

nulla.jpg

Meh. I was mostly unmoved by Nulla, although I thought the kid did a good job in the role.

I did laugh at the part where Mrs Boss tries to sing him Somewhere Over the Rainbow, but she doesn't really remember how it goes.

Kidman got way too much shit for the film. I thought aside from the poor physical comedy at the beginning (which Luhrman really should be blamed for), she was pretty spot on. Funny, tough, and emotional when she needed to be.

But I know I'm in the minority on this one. It didn't work for a lot of people.

I couldn't even finish it to be honest. It was on the level of "Unbearable childish talking-animal Dreamworks horse-shit" for me. And I gave it a fair shake too, I watched about an hour of it. Aside from some impressive animation I found absolutely nothing to like. The Toy Story movies lose some points for similar reasons, especially Toy Story 2, though those films make up for it more with at least a little creativity and imagination. Aside from maybe Wall-E, I think Up was the first Pixar film to really strike a successfully functional storytelling balance between mature subtext and more kid-friendly accessible plot and humor. Really the only flaw I have with the film is the villain who is completely under-explored. Even Russell was effective, and he had one of the more powerful moments in the film when he was talking about his Pa.

Then again, I'm not really a Pixar fan. I only really like maybe half of their films, and am not in love with any of them. And they're still probably the best American animation studio. Sad.

Opps, 'tops for me' is what I intended to type. Well to each their own, I think what makes Toy Story such an enduring classic is that it really is above and beyond the kind of movie it is, hell more adults I know like it than little kids of the Dreamworks Animation generation.

I agree with Muntz unfortunately not getting enough screentime to understand him fully, I think they did a good job of giving us enough background to at least get his maniacal motivation at the end, but not how he became a super-inventor or how he behaved so well when they first meet if he's such an isolated misanthrope haha.

Also laz, I can't agree with you on Spider-Man 2, granted it still has the problem of being sappy that the first one had, but its story-telling is compelling and tight, and features excellent special effects (the first movie was underwhelming here and there in that department) Michael Chabon should write more screenplays, and all Spider-Man movies. Although I was really intrigued when they hired James Vanderbilt (Zodiac) to write a two-movie arc, but now they've scrapped that for just another sequel. Raimi may love the character like no other, and has proved himself as an action director, but that love didn't translate when it came to writing the screenplay, which I think even he's admitted.

I don't think Spider-Man 2 is a bad movie. I think it's very good. But it's extremely overrated, with everyone proclaiming it OMG BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVAR!!!!1!!1!!

Personally, I prefer both of Nolan's Batman films, Batman Returns, Dick Tracy, and the first two Superman films.

I'd put V for Vendetta and Watchmen up there as well. Which version do you consider when you cite Superman II: the original or Donner cut?

Also, I'm heading out to see either The Brothers Bloom or Up with The Lady Friend tonight. Not sure which one to go to yet.

I don't think Spider-Man 2 is a bad movie. I think it's very good. But it's extremely overrated, with everyone proclaiming it OMG BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVAR!!!!1!!1!!

Personally, I prefer both of Nolan's Batman films, Batman Returns, Dick Tracy, and the first two Superman films.

So you think there are 6 comic book movies better than Spiderman 2? That's not exactly an overwhelming mass. I don't think it's much of a stretch at all to say Spiderman 2 is the OMG BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVAR, because frankly there aren't many good ones. Even some of those you listed aren't really all that great.

Also, I'm heading out to see either The Brothers Bloom or Up with The Lady Friend tonight. Not sure which one to go to yet.

I've got to decide whether I want to see The Brothers Bloom in a shitty theater or Drag Me To Hell in a great theater this week. If they were showing in the same venue this really wouldn't be much of a choice, honestly, but given my options. I'm not sure.

The next few weeks should be pretty great if my smaller theaters actually get some of the films I want to see. Moon, Whatever Works, Tetro (probably won't come anywhere near me till next month though, bastards), and then Public Enemies around the corner.

Drag Me to Hell is worth it if you bring some friends along, too. And if you're not too big on Raimi's non-Spiderman 2 work, then I don't know what to tell you.

Moon and Whatever Works have really small chances of hitting near me, let alone both at the same time, so that's cool for you.

Well, it could go either way here. I think one theater might get Moon, as that just seems like the sort of thing they'd pick up for a few weeks. They always like to have some smaller sci-fi stuff during the summer. And another theater (the shitty one I'll probably see Bloom in) got Vicky Christina last summer, so I'm counting on this one as well.

I'd put V for Vendetta and Watchmen up there as well. Which version do you consider when you cite Superman II: the original or Donner cut?

Haven't seen the Donner cut, but from what I've read it doesn't sound like they necessarily improved that much.

Up with The Lady Friend tonight.

I'll bet.

(not even Courtney Lee could miss that alley-oop)

Up 3D = U23D Revisited.

So you think there are 6 comic book movies better than Spiderman 2? That's not exactly an overwhelming mass. I don't think it's much of a stretch at all to say Spiderman 2 is the OMG BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVAR, because frankly there aren't many good ones. Even some of those you listed aren't really all that great.

Well you can add the two that LMP mentioned, and if we're going outside the superhero genre I'd also add Ghost World, A History of Violence. There may be others.

And again, I think it's a very well done film, but it just doesn't have a lot of amazing moments for me. And I hate that patriotic stuff. Seemed beneath Raimi.

I do love me some V for Vendetta. Watchmen, I'd have trouble even calling a competent film. I'll still probably give it a second shot when the director's cut DVD comes out. Or did it come out already? Just to see if the added material improves the experience any.

No, it's not out yet. But I'm now thinking it's probably not going to solve any of the film's real problems. I'm not sure if you'll agree with this, but despite what's wrong with the film, its best moments surpass ANYTHING in Raimi's films.

Not, I probably don't. But without looking way back to the Watchmen discussions, I'm curious which moments in particular worked best for you.

Well, the opening credits, for one. Manhattan on Mars reviewing his life story, and the later scene with Laurie. Rorschach's capture and prison sequence, including Rorschach finding the child murderer.

I thought Rorschach's time in the prison was good, notably when the guys came to his cell to get revenge and he fucks them up good. However, his "chapter" was wholly disappointing since they removed all the bits with the psychologist after the first meeting, which I felt was really what gave that part of the novel its real substance.

I agree, there were definitely a lot of unfortunate omissions. But what WAS there was still well done.

Part of my interest in seeing the restored cut is hoping pieces like the psychologist would be put back in. As you said, it likely won't improve the film greatly, but it might heal some of the wounds.

Part of my interest in seeing the restored cut is hoping pieces like the psychologist would be put back in. As you said, it likely won't improve the film greatly, but it might heal some of the wounds.

I've heard that it has Hollis Mason's death and possibly more with Rorschach, hopefully with the psychiatrist.

There's another cut coming out in December integrating Black Freighter, apparently, so who knows?

You guys should check out the Creative Screenwriting podcast's episode with David Hayter (Solid Snake) and Alex Tse talking about the script. Hayter gets pretty defensive regarding some of the elements Snyder left out that may have made it a better movie, and some other really cool tidbits. Really worth listening to if you get the chance.

Oh, and we saw The Brothers Bloom and both loved it. While it wasn't in 3D and I didn't have a Squirtigo Revisited moment, it was a pretty damn awesome con film with some stellar performances all around. Tons of visual flair and little moments that really make for a fucking awesome movie. Up will wait another day.

Hayter is a fun guy to listen to, obviously he's got at least some level of voice talent after all, though I haven't really heard him talk about Watchmen at all I don't think. I might check that out.

Hayter is a fun guy to listen to, obviously he's got at least some level of voice talent after all, though I haven't really heard him talk about Watchmen at all I don't think. I might check that out.

Hell, Alan Moore said his draft was the closest anyone's ever been to putting Watchmen on screen, so that's always good. He knows his shit.

The Kurtzman/Orci episode about Star Trek was pretty enlightening, too, as it addresses most of the gripes people have with the film and the duo in particular. One of them seems pretty cool and the other sounds like a complete fucking nerd. Cracked me up.

Oh, and we saw The Brothers Bloom and both loved it. While it wasn't in 3D and I didn't have a Squirtigo Revisited moment, it was a pretty damn awesome con film with some stellar performances all around. Tons of visual flair and little moments that really make for a fucking awesome movie. Up will wait another day.

I'm seeing this tomorrow for sure. Looking forward to it.

Also, your Avatar continues to freak me out, since that guy looks remarkably like a bizarre-o psychotic version of my father circa 2003.

Also, your Avatar continues to freak me out, since that guy looks remarkably like a bizarre-o psychotic version of my father circa 2003.

Your father looks like Stan Van Gundy? That's awesome.

Looking up some pics on google, no. He doesn't at all. Must just be that particular shot.

That's kind of scary.

Also, after you see Brothers Bloom, you will fall in love with Rinko Kikuchi if you haven't already and if I haven't overestimated your love with goofy Asian women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom