Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:37 PM
Pfft. Raiders.

Aliens, mayhaps.

YouTube - Chow Yun-Fat John Woo`s The Killer 3 FR trailer

Uh-huh yeaaaaahh.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #212
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
Anyone looking forward to Avatar?
Nope.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #213
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Die Hard, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Aliens top it, son. But that's about it, from what I've seen, at least.
Those are three great calls actually. But I'm sticking with Judgment Day. I know now why you cry. But it is something I can never do.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #214
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Those are three great calls actually. But I'm sticking with Judgment Day. I know now why you cry. But it is something I can never do.
Oh shit... Dyson! She's gonna blow him away!!
Old 05-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #215
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Terminator > T2
Alien > Aliens

Lo-fi FTW.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #216
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Wolverine - Terrible.
I still feel compelled to go see this for two reasons:

1. Hugh Jackman
2. Taylor Kitsch

They are $10 worth of hotness.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #217
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post

1. Hugh Jackman
2. Taylor Kitsch

I'm a major sucker for comic book / superhero movies, and for some reason I've been under the assumption that Hollywood has finally figured out to do a good job with them. On paper, it seems like a movie entirely focusing on Wolverine would be fantastic no matter what. Unfortunately, they somehow found a way to throw in more characters that you don't care about than even the X-Men movies had (and completely ruin some that you do: Gambit), and then throw in some of the most ridiculous scenes since the Pirates of Caribbean sequels. Add in blatantly obvious CGI all over the place, possibly the worst script of any comic book movie I've seen in years, a prequel that convolutes and confuses plot points from the other movies in the series, and a story that makes X-Men 3 look "good" in comparison.

In short, it was just a huge bummer. They made so many silly choices that it's surprising anyone agreed to work with that script. Everything you'd want from a movie about Wolverine isn't there, everything you wouldn't want is. It's like they took everything that fans hated from the Star Wars prequels and went out of their way to throw things like that into the movie. Is it still entertaining? Yes. Is it the worst major comic book / superhero movie in years? Yes. Is it a terrible way to start off the "big summer blockbusters"? Yes.

That said, I still sorta want other people to see it just so I can hear their thoughts as well.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #218
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:37 AM
Yeah Gambit appears for about 5 minutes and that fight with him just seemed random...the appearance of Cyclops was pointless. Will.I.am is in it. It was also very incoherent and the only person who got any screen time was Wolverine, everyone else got lip service.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #219
Blue Crack Distributor

I was confused when I saw the trailers. I'd heard all this talk about how the movie was all about the origin of Wolverine. And then the trailers come, and there are like 500 extra people in there.

Still going to go, though. Maybe. If I can drag myself off the couch and get down to my neighborhood theater. And if it's not pouring rain, because when it pours, that theater is packed to the gills.

But the only stuff I know about X-Men is what's in the movies, so I have no expectations about what I want to see or what I'll be disappointed about.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #220
Blue Crack Addict

not very good - 6/10

it will be a huge hit
Old 05-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #221
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
it will be a huge hit
Already is. $87 million this weekend.

No surprise it sucked. It looks absolutely awful. I mean I'm no fan of the genre, but still. It looks just plain bad.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Tokyo! was pretty satisfying. Certainly one of the most successful omnibus films I've seen in this vein, if not necessarily in the strength's of the particular shorts' highlights than in its surprising thematic and stylistic unity. Then again maybe it shouldn't be so surprising considering the three directors here are all pretty well known for their off-beat and imaginative filmmaking. Overall it's a great look at the city's urban psychology and its cultural identity (made both explicit particularly in Carax's film, and implicit throughout in its outsider's view looking in, as none of these director's are intimately familiar with Japan themselves). I'll score each segment individually:

Interior Design (Gondry) - 8.0
I went in expecting this to be my least favorite and had those expectations turned completely around. It makes sense this is the most successful though as Gondry was always a better fit for the short form than for features. He captures the city's and culture's unique close-quarters alienation. Deviously stylish and outrageously funny at time, Gondry's segment is both the most entertaining and successful in its examination of distinct cultural idiosyncrasies and pure cinematic ingenuity. Honestly, if it weren't for Kaufman's brilliant contributions to Eternal Sunshine, this would easily be my favorite thing Gondry had done.

Merde (Carax) - 6.0 Both the least entertaining and least successful, despite an initially fantastic premise. The short begins with a playful and somewhat horrifying take on Godzilla and other urban terror/ monster films, but unfortunately its more political and social satire in the second half is considerably less effective. Carax himself already said he was never comfortable working in the short form, and it shows. However, his segment still shows some serious cinematic chops and a virtuoso performance from Denis Lavant.

Shaking Tokyo (Bong) - 7.5 Falls somewhere in between the other two, but likely suffers from its placement in the film. I think this piece would have been better served having switched positions with Gondry's film, opening Tokyo! with a quietly romantic tale about an 11-year recluse being drawn out from his hermetically sealed home by a chance encounter with a cute pizza girl. Bong's camerawork and sound design here is astounding, and best captures the claustrophobic atmosphere of the city and taps into the main characters psyche with admirable subtlety. Really, it shares a bit of thematic ground with Interior Design, unfortunately I feel this segment was in dire need of elaboration and expansion. Bong never really gets to dig into this material to the level it demands, and the short consequently comes up a bit short.

Overall, I was very pleased. I'll give the film in its entirety a 7.0. Strongly recommended if only because it really rises above the rest in its form.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #223
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post

1. Hugh Jackman
2. Taylor Kitsch

Having seen Australia with #1, I know that this is not true.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #224
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
Already is. $87 million this weekend.

No surprise it sucked. It looks absolutely awful. I mean I'm no fan of the genre, but still. It looks just plain bad.
I doubt it'll top $150 after word-of-mouth soaks through.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #225
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:37 PM
Is there a precedent for a film movie with such a monster opening failing to hit a mark of $150?