Review the Movie You Viewed VII: We're Done, Professionally - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #181
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Mary and Max

I love claymation and it always leaves me in awe of the people who have the patience to work with this medium. This film was fantastic; idiosyncratic, surprisingly dark and often bleak yet also very funny and full of warped black humour and visual gags. The animation, the attention to detail and the whole world created in the movie was just amazing.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:11 PM
State Of Play

7/10

Surprisingly entertaining, in spite of Affleck's wooden acting. Not nearly enough Helen Mirren. She elevates the movie every second she's in it.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:44 AM   #183
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I Capture the Castle

A pretty decent adaptation, though no match for the charm of the book. I thought casting was hit-and-miss; Romola Garai (who I recognised from Atonement) and Rose Byrne were wonderful as two sisters, but the two American brothers were utter bores. It's perhaps unfair but I just can't watch Marc Blucas in anything without thinking of Buffy's Riley Finn and how much I couldn't stand the character during my Buffy craze phase.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:08 AM   #184
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 07:11 PM
I saw it before, like over a year ago, but saw half of Little Children again last night.

this movie p*sses me off!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #185
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Changeling

Mixed feelings about this one. It has a powerful story behind it, and for the most part the film is gripping and suspenseful, but it IMO runs out of steam in its second half when it morphs into a courtroom drama and it feels like you're watching an overlong epilogue. And Angelina didn't really work for me in the lead role, partly because of the way she looked. She's got such bold features already and when you add pale skin, red lipstick, tons of eyeshadow and gloomy cinematography the whole effect is too cartoonish and distracting - and in some scenes she IMO looked outright ghoulish.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #186
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Saracene, would you agree with me that you could get pretty drunk on the amount of times she says 'my son'

??
Old 04-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #187
ONE
love, blood, life

I have not watched it for AGES and so really enjoyed How To Make An American Quilt again. I always feel like crying at the end.

such a beautiful girlie movie, really 8 outta 10 for it.

great cast.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1 View Post
Saracene, would you agree with me that you could get pretty drunk on the amount of times she says 'my son'

??
Hah yes.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #189
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:11 AM
The Reader

Frickin' bleak, man.

But I liked it better than the book.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #190
ONE
love, blood, life

is there anyone here well into their classic movies who might recognise this scene?

I only saw 5 seconds of it.

black and white
Big busted blonde like dancing seductively either in the rain or under the show. this shot she holds her head up to the drops and runs her hands down her neck etc.

dont worry if no-one knows

tis cool
Old 04-23-2009, 11:59 PM   #191
Blue Crack Distributor

Battle In Seattle

It was hard to believe that this all went down in Seattle. We are the most boring city of nice people (friendly as all get-out, but your neighbors will keep to themselves - we're weird like that; it's the myth of "Seattle Nice"). Passionate people and a bunch of lefty liberals, but man, that was some bad shit that went down.

I remember watching it on the news back in Wisconsin just a few months before I moved here, and my friends saying to me "... and this is the place you want to move?" Heh. I remember some of the downtown storefronts still boarded (the Westlake Center Starbucks, for instance) from the vandalism for a while after moving there. And my new coworkers downtown telling us how scared they all were, how they didn't know how they were going to get home during the protests and riots.

It was those goddamned anarchists from hippieville nowhere Oregon who had to come in and ruin it for everyone. Fuckers.

Anyway! The movie was very good. A few little fake personal stories thrown in to give us characters to care about (or not), but I thought it was well-done.

As Knute Berger said in the book I just finished reading, it was nice to see Seattle behaving badly for once. At least until the anarchists showed up. (Fuckers.)

PS: Bonus points for the use of "Fake Empire" by The National.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #192
Blue Crack Distributor

The Wrestler

This was really good. Mickey Rourke broke my heart.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:25 PM   #193
Blue Crack Supplier

Looking back, I'm a little more bummed than I realized that he didn't win the Oscar. Penn played against type, and was very convincing. But I found there was a bit more humanity and naked truth in what Rourke was doing. When he cries to his daughter it didn't feel like a forced emotional moment (like a similar moment in Milk with the suicide), but a real crack in the armor.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #194
Blue Crack Distributor

I was thinking about the Oscars last night as well. My initial feeling is that Penn should have won for inhabiting a completely different character. Did too many voters think "Oh, Rourke is just really playing himself, isn't he?"

But he was amazing. He certainly moved me more than Penn, who mostly just impressed me.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:51 AM   #195
ONE
love, blood, life

I saw the first 10 mins of Blade the other night, I dont know whether to rent it out now, it kinda looks good.

The Perfect Storm. 7 outta 10 - because I love Whalberg, and in fact the entire cast apart from Diane and Mary, were just great. this movie is so sad at the end, the music is so beautiful

hmm, what else did I see on TV or......oh yea, Heartbreakers, I always love this movie, its never boring, and Jennifer has one HELL of a body in it hey!

also, Jason Lee is hotter in this than he is as Earl.