Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:14 PM
omg

Old 12-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #47
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Any thoughts on the Xmas episode, with THE HAMM? I thought it was fantastic.
Yes, it was one of the best of the series so far. Besides Hamm and the careful unwrapping of the co-star, the visual aesthetic of the episode is what really blew me away, which is often the case. I loved the look of the grandfather's house in winter, how uncanny it was. There wasn't really snow on everything, so much as all the leaves on the trees were spray painted white, as if the environment didn't allow for snow anymore but the Christmas facade still had to carry on regardless.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

The Christmas episode is still my favorite of the series.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:38 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:14 PM
Man, I finished Fargo Season 1 and that shit is outstanding. Billy Bob Thornton's character is an all-timer. And that slow and sad theme music. Hot damn.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:13 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, 100 per cent solid.
Second season is good, but not quite as good.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:51 AM   #51
The Male

I still have one episode left of Black Mirror, but I don't think season 3 was that bad. It was fine. The tone was a little brighter and it was too Americentric overall, but the quality was still quite high. Definitely good television.

Some thoughts on individual episodes:

Playtest was awful. I think it could have been OK but somewhat meaningless if it had ended a minute sooner and had a different lead actor, but it would always have been hamstrung by a lack of satirical purpose. Shut Up and Dance made me feel awful while otherwise being a strong episode. Bronn was fun in it. I wish the kid had actually been 15 like he looked instead of being an adult. That would have muddied the waters a bit. Men Against Fire was thematically powerful and gave me chills to think about but was actually too plausible to quite hit. It's just a big allegory for what already happens in the military and the government was just a stand-in for Nazi eugenics practitioners. So, yeah, powerful stuff, but not the insidiously impactful brilliance of the first season.

Nosedive I fucking loved. It was too long and relied too heavily on cringe scenarios, but my goodness that was a cathartic, funny, memorable ending and I loved their show-don't-tell approach to world building in this one. I also loved San Junipero, of course. I didn't know whether to laugh, smile or cry throughout. The ending with the consciousnesses in metal orbs being inserted by a robot into a machine whose purpose was to create an ideal afterlife offered a "happy ending" while also being rather challenging on a philosophical level.

Good use of music this season as well. Exit Music and Heaven Is a Place on Earth both made for A+ endings.

Now.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:03 AM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

No takers on The OA yet? It's very divisive and I expect half the people here to have major problems, but am looking forward to your opinions.

Definitely the most thought-provoking, ambitious thing I saw on TV this year.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:06 AM   #53
The Male

I'll give The OA a go after I finish the last episode of Black Mirror, which should happen tomorrow. I saw an ad for it that was quite appealing.

Netflix original programming is fucking awful a lot of the time, but there's so much of it that gems are bound to surface on occasion. The opinions of people I trust narrow that otherwise broad net for me.

Now.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

I watched 1.5 episodes of the latest season of The Fall and gave up.

Just lost complete interest in where the story might go.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:01 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I watched 1.5 episodes of the latest season of The Fall and gave up.

Just lost complete interest in where the story might go.
That happened to me too.
I thought the earlier stuff was pretty good.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #56
45:33

Local Time: 12:14 PM
So who here has watched Suits? Seen the first two seasons in the last week. After three or four I was not all that impressed, seemed a bit like a less cartoonish Entourage, men walking all over the women, men in suits doing whatever they want and getting all the rewards and no consequences. But after an ad hoc start it's become a favourite new show. It's very well-layered, the characters are complex, the women are mostly badasses. Thought the s2 finale took things to a ridiculous level that was very hard to believe, but otherwise, enjoying greatly.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:52 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

I've now finished both seasons of Fargo and they were tremendous and I feel empty inside. Can anyone recommend shows in a similar vein to Fargo? I'm fiending. And yes I've already seen every Coen Bros movie.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Can't think of any thing just like it.
Banshee is kind of like it and pretty good.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:17 AM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
No takers on The OA yet? It's very divisive and I expect half the people here to have major problems, but am looking forward to your opinions.

Definitely the most thought-provoking, ambitious thing I saw on TV this year.
I finally just finished it tonight. My basic one-sentence thought would be that it started out very promisingly, with a world of possibilities, and ended disappointingly, leaving me with a feeling of, 'so what was the point?'

Some more specific thoughts, spoiler-tagged:

I thought the struggle of the captives to escape their prison would've been more engaging if they were actually trying to figure out a real way to escape. The "movements" became tedious after awhile. The exploration of the question of whether or not there's consciousness after death is endlessly fascinating, but this got a little too new-age-y.

I still don't understand how Jason Isaacs could just magically bring his captives back to life after every time he drowned them.

I find it hard to believe these kids(and the teacher) would stick around past the first night of this story. They'd probably think she was nuts. At least that would be more realistic.

If she made the whole story up, then what is the point of this whole thing? Where was she really? And how did she magically get her sight back?

She was blind for most of her life, she shouldn't even know how to read well, much less read on the level of the Iliad.

The whole school-shooting at the end was a bit eye-roll worthy. The ultimate use of the "movements" is to distract a shooter so a cafeteria worker can tackle him?

I actually really like Brit Marling, I think she's a good actress, very charismatic and intelligent, but I didn't, on the whole, love this.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #60
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm still on board with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but MAN they are going out of their way to make Rebecca completely unlikable.