Random TV Talk IV: We're So Broken Inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally watched Stranger Things. The story was like a hodgepodge of less interesting Stephen King novels, but the characters and their interactions are just wonderful, especially the kids. 80s movies nostalgia doesn't push any buttons for me though, since I've missed out on most of them growing up. Not a flaw or anything, it's just an aspect of the series that seems to have hooked people that passes me by completely.

Man there's a fuckton I could post about in here since I last posted but I'd probably be rehashing shit you talked about already so I'll spare you.

Instead, I will just say that I am all in on Taboo; even if it was just Tom Hardy strutting around London in that fucking top hat I'd be fairly hooked.

You on the Black Mirror train?

Been on that train since Season 1. I thought Season 3 was the weakest of the three but still solid. Hard not to have liked San Junipero.

I'm going to be hopping on the Legion train next month, I can tell you that.

I am about to hop on the Sneaky Pete train.

I've been on a lot of trains the past few months.

Been on that train since Season 1. I thought Season 3 was the weakest of the three but still solid. Hard not to have liked San Junipero.

I'm going to be hopping on the Legion train next month, I can tell you that.

I am about to hop on the Sneaky Pete train.

I've been on a lot of trains the past few months.

I haven't seen the last episode of season 3 yet, but a guy at work wouldn't stop about the show a few weeks ago, so Travis and I decided to board the train. I really like it, but agreed, S3 is good, but, so so.

The Series of Unfortunate Events train is rolling along nicely four episode in.

I have heard nothing but good things about the new version of One Day at a Time on Netflix. Guess I'll be checking that one out.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

The Series of Unfortunate Events train is rolling along nicely four episode in.

Favorite book series, at least for kids, and I was SO excited for this, but I've kinda been meh'd on the show thus far. I did only watch one episode, though, I'll get back into it this week.

Fuck it, here's some shit I watched since I was last truly active. Approximately. If I list it it means I liked or loved it.

No particular order:

Luke Cage (I have watched both seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones too)
Narcos Season 1 (will watch season 2 soon)
Goliath (Billy Bob made the show worth watching and I like William Hurt a lot)
Season 1 of The Expanse (I've read the first batch of books in this series. Season 2 is around the corner)
The Crown (I figured I'd enjoy it but I got really sucked in)
Season 1 of Rev (I like Tom Hollander a lot)
The Night Manager (Miniseries, based on a book by one of my favorite authors)
Atlanta (I'm tiring of comedies that leave out most of the comedy, but this show was clever and the guy that played Paper Boi does a great bewildered by your stupidity stare)
The Last Kingdom (I believe they're making a second season)
Stranger Things (Did not love it like everyone loved it but enjoyed it for sure. The show had heart, to me that's a rarer and rarer thing in TV lately)
Seasons 2 and 3 of Mozart in the Jungle (I don't know, I'd never run around telling people to watch this show and it's not exactly something you can just binge but I enjoy each episode and Gael Garcia Bernal is fantastic)
Seasons 1 and 2 of The Leftovers (This is a.....somber show, let's just say. Great cast)
Show Me a Hero (Just a three-part mini-series, but excellent)
Season 3 of Black Mirror (As I mentioned earlier, for me, this season was very hit or miss but San Junipero alone made it worth it. Did not see an episode with that sort of tone or ending coming, consider all that came before)
Season 1 of The Hollow Crown (Season 2 is sitting in my DVR)
The Night Of (Episode 1 was beyond gripping. From there, to me it kind of bounced from great to good to just ok depending on episode. Overall, though, I enjoyed it and did look forward to each episode)
The Selection (This is a reality show on History. It's a guilty pleasure. A bunch of cats go through training along the lines of what a NAVY Seal or Army Ranger or Green Beret goes through. I eschew 99% of reality programming but this focuses more on the actual training and psychology of it than any drummed up drama.)

Trains I'm going to hop on soon or not so soon:

Sneaky Pete (Watched the pilot only, so far)
The Young Pope (Watched the first episode so far)
Victoria
Peaky Blinders (eventually)
Season 2 of Happy Valley
Wolf Hall
Season 2 of The Man in the High Castle
Legion (Cannot fucking wait, I really hope it's good.)
Taboo
Network TV and I mix poorly lately but I'll give this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerless_(TV_series) and the new 24 a shot

Trains I'm considering hopping on at some point:

Gomorrah
Horace and Pete
Bosch
MI-5 (daunting, so many seasons)

Shows whose train I've been on and remain on:

The Americans (my favorite show on TV)
Game of Thrones (The last episode of the most recent season was one of my favorite episodes of TV ever, but it came on the heels of what was probably the show's weakest season, at least to me)
Sherlock (Have watched 2 of the 3 new episodes. Past seasons set the bar very high. I don't think this current batch quite reaches those heights).
Vikings (another guilty pleasure)
Veep (JLD is the best)
Fargo
Better Call Saul
House of Cards (This is not really even a good show. But it looks good and Robin Wright is great)
Rectify (This show of course just ended its run. Nothing I can say about it beyond how sublime I thought it was.)
Orange is the New Black
Mr. Robot (Not everything they try works but when it does, there's nothing quite like it on TV)
Westworld (This was an uneven show for sure but I'm a sucker for shows with their own mythology and while the show maybe got a little lost in that from time to time, I'm still a fan)

And, yes, this is a lot of TV. But this covers over a year, and I don't sleep well so there's time. : )

I'm with you on every one of your "train I've been on and remain on" shows.

I'm really looking forward to The Americans, Fargo, Better Call Saul and Archer all starting back up in March/Early April.

I'm with you on every one of your "train I've been on and remain on" shows.

I'm really looking forward to The Americans, Fargo, Better Call Saul and Archer all starting back up in March/Early April.

Archer is a show that I really find funny but stopped watching for some reason and need to get back to. I even know exactly where I left off.

Archer is a show that I really find funny but stopped watching for some reason and need to get back to. I even know exactly where I left off.

Yeah the quality of Archer has faded a bit in recent seasons but its still one I look forward to. Gotta love H. Jon Benjamin.

I just got done watching the Taboo premiere with some friends. I think i'm in on that one too.

Now I just gotta find the time to watch everything. :hmm:

MI-5/Spook's first few seasons were fantastic. Definitely watch it. Peter Firth is great in it. I stopped following at some point, but there are some brilliant episodes and storylines. A lot of it is self-contained, from what I recall, so you can stop when you get tired of it.

I actually watched the first two seasons. Really liked it, but, fell off for some reason. If I ever decide to dive back in, I'll start at the beginning.

Have you seen any Bojack Horseman, NSW? Lots of LA roasting and seems like your style of humor overall.

I just started Archer but I'm revisiting Rick & Morty with Ashley before the release date for season 3 is made official.

Are we all aware that Larry David has finally decided to do another season of Curb, that it's filming, and that it will air sometime this year?

I'm looking forward to it.

HBO has a doc airing Monday night about Slenderman and the two young kids who tried to kill their friend.

I will be watching for sure. Partially because I am interested in the story, but also to see scenes of my college town Waukesha.

And, for additional, morbid, curiosity, to see if the parents of the accused are on the doc - Morgan Geyser's dad was in my circle of friends in college.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

Have you seen any Bojack Horseman, NSW? Lots of LA roasting and seems like your style of humor overall.

I just started Archer but I'm revisiting Rick & Morty with Ashley before the release date for season 3 is made official.

I was told that after the first 4 episodes or so of Season 1, the show hits a bit of a stride...but, I could not past the 3rd episode. I will attempt to progress at some point, probably.

I was told that after the first 4 episodes or so of Season 1, the show hits a bit of a stride...but, I could not past the 3rd episode. I will attempt to progress at some point, probably.

Yeah...don't stop there. I didn't care much for it either but had I stopped, I would have missed out on some of the decade's best television. It was around episode 5 that I started greatly enjoying episodes end to end.

And now, well, Bojack Horseman avatar.

Anyone watch The Good Place? I just saw the first episode and laughed my ass off.

Forgot how much I love Kristin Bell, it's a shame she didn't get more high-profile work after Veronica Mars.

MI-5/Spook's first few seasons were fantastic. Definitely watch it. Peter Firth is great in it. I stopped following at some point, but there are some brilliant episodes and storylines. A lot of it is self-contained, from what I recall, so you can stop when you get tired of it.

Haven't watched Spooks in a long time but god i LOVED it, i miss watching it.

Every now and then it was a bit over the top (even for them) and, as someone put it in Private Eye once, the dialogue was often peppered with lines written for the trailers :lol:

But it really was a great show, the cast were nearly all excellent (especially Peter Firth) and
the way nothing was really sacred and they'd kill the lead characters off and carry on was always pretty cool, for want of a better word.

Still haven't seen the movie though for some reason.

The Good Place is WONDERFUL. The finale definitely earned the love it's getting.

Ted Danson is great in it.

Back
Top Bottom