Random TV Talk IV: We're So Broken Inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last night's Succession may have been the funniest yet. They are so damn good.

How I Met Your Father coming out in January. I will be watching the fuck out of it, despite the fact that HIMYM has aged worse than maybe any other sitcom in living memory.

Watched the live performance of Facts of Life/Diff'rent Srokes on ABC. It was reasonably entertaining. Quite the All Star cast for both shows. A couple of bummers, though. No Nancy McKeon and also seeing Todd Bridges as the last one standing for Diff'rent Strokes.

Kevin Hart was great as Arnold. The woman who played Mrs. Garrett was great too. And freaking Jon Stewart as Carl. Hilarious.

2021 had to give us one last kick in the pants on the way out. :(

RIP Betty. people toss around the word "icon" way too freely these days but she really deserves that title.

Station Eleven is tremendous. Another show with Lindelof/Leftovers/Lost vibes. The showrunner was a writer on the Leftovers.

The guy who wrote Episode 5, "The Severn City Airport", is Cord Jefferson, who won an well-deserved Emmy for writing an episode of Watchmen.

The show is indeed fantastic. I read the book a couple years ago and loved it, have been looking forward to this show since it was announced.

Speaking of Lost, Yellowjackets has definitely borrowed heavily from it and it's got a great cast. Pretty fun and thrilling so far.

Episode 7 was brilliant. I’ve really liked Mackenzie Davis since Hatch and Catch Fire and she is perfectly cast here. I loved the book, but felt it would be too difficult to adapt, but they made a bunch of excellent choices in how they changed things (like the reveal of the Prophet coming earlier).

Last edited:
Episode 7 was brilliant. I’ve really liked Mackenzie Davis since Hatch and Catch Fire and she is perfectly cast here. I loved the book, but felt it would be too difficult to adapt, but they made a bunch of excellent choices in how they changed things (like the reveal of the Prophet coming earlier).

Episode 9 [emoji7][emoji7]

That Solstice day scene was perfect.

I'd like to hear from fellow Always Sunny fans what they thought of season 15.

Huge fan of this show, and I thought it was a solid if unspectacular season. At points, it felt like it was being written by someone who was a fan of the show but not living it. The first episode was a good example, I quite enjoyed it and some of the reveals were funny, but it kind of just felt like they'd gotten a generic comedy writer in.

Thought Lethal Weapon 7 was outstanding, such a clever way of addressing the fact that they'd done blackface before, whilst still keeping the Sunny edginess.

The roller rink ep has got some bad reviews but I loved that episode, and the monkey one was fucking hilarious too (my mates gave me shit because I thought it was a real monkey, I guess I'm not good at telling when something's CGI).

I loved the hook of the gang going to Ireland, but really felt they could have done it better. There were a few times watching those episodes where I got genuinely bored, which I've never felt with Sunny before. Some of the jokes got dragged out too much (Dennis having COVID, Mac trying to find his identity, Charlie's dad being a sodge) and some jokes just feel a bit too easy - we know Dee is a bitch, but they've been more clever with their reactions to her in the past.

But, there was still laughs in every episode. Dee as the acting teacher was fucking brilliant. Frank being a pig as Charlie tries to get to know his dad. Waitress asking Dee to say her name. Mac and Charlie rocking up to McDonalds. The priest being a paedophile (although I'm sure everyone else saw this coming quicker than I did). Dennis dragging his feet carrying the corpse and everyone realising Mac was carrying most of the weight. The start of Charlie's chroming. The gang thinking they're doing a nice thing for Dee in going to Ireland but still fucking her over. Voting for Kanye. The yelling in the Irish pub. The gang realising that without each other they've got nothing and going back to Charlie.

And the finale managed to, very successfully I thought, pack a real emotional punch, almost the equal of Mac's dance. Charlie's acting in that scene, with the bag in the rain, on this Sisyphean task on his own, was exquisite. In fact I think he was terrific the whole season, particularly in the latter stages as the child inside him latched onto his dad.

Interested to see where they go in season 16 and beyond.

Station Eleven is a masterpiece. They landed that finale perfectly. Emotionally, tonally, really nothing felt unearned.

The way they tied Miranda to the airport story - which if I remember correctly was not in the book - was such a masterful touch. "They are on the countertop". What an amazing line. So beautiful. And then the shots of her putting her feet in the pool and in the sea. Wow.

The play, Kirsten knowing how to use that to reproach Tyler and Charlotte, and the acting in that scene, were all fantastic.

And then the Kirten-Jeevan encounter, which was so well earned. Their chemistry was fantastic even if the two actors only did that one flashback episode together.

Oh and the editing in this think is just unbelievably good.

This is the perfect show for our time. Finding joy, happiness and fulfillment in a post-apocaliptic, post-pandemic world: give me more of this.

Best show I've seen since The Leftovers.

Last edited:
Also a nod to The Expanse series finale. A problematic show in some aspects, but always fun and interesting. I should probably read the books.

I’m going to add HBO Max this weekend just to binge Station Eleven. I also need to catch up on Succession and Curb.

I’ve been enjoying Yellowjackets on Laz’s recommendation. It totally has Lost-y
vibes. Did anyone watch Dexter New Blood? It was mostly entertaining, and gave a better ending to the series than the original run.

Last edited:
Saw New Blood. The show was good, but I wasn't a fan of the ending.

I was just going to post about this. I really, really enjoyed the whole thing. I was more relieved at the ending than anything else, because the other possibility (that a lot of the Reddit crowd etc seemed to want) would have been a massive, massive disappointment.

I appreciated that the show forced the audience to see Dexter as he really was: a sadistic, self-mythologizing psycho, rather than some kind of cause-de-celebre of justice. He's a great character, no doubt, but not someone we should ever have been rooting for. Additionally, having Harrison see through the rhetoric made an important point: having experienced childhood trauma doesn't doom someone to a life of sociopathy the way Dexter seems to have thought it does.

Last edited:
I just realized today that he's the door-to-door missionary in Clue. It's an amazing thing how distracting facial hair and sunglasses can be, because I absolutely loved him on WKRP as a kid and never made the connection.

We Own This City - 10/10 (if you love The Wire it's an 11)

Jon Bernthal deserves an emmy nomination (at least) for this role.

Last edited:
New season of For All Mankind started off super strong. Probably the best show on TV this side of Better Call Saul.

I watched it all up until the last season. First two seasons are classic, third is good, after that it falls off.

Back
Top Bottom