Random TV Talk IV: We're So Broken Inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have Cable, or Netflicks etc but I know something about some of the shows to keep up with interesting stuff.
So on Broadcast TV the new shows I'm watching are Manifest, God Friended Me and at least one other. I drop in on The Blacklist from time to time. Watch the NCIS stuff.
I'm glad that Timeless got a 2 hour movie wrap up after it was canceled.
Love that they have brought back Murphy Brown.

I still seriously recommend "Person of Interest";4 full seasons and a half last season 5.

It melds interesting crime drama with AI, and the US government in what turned out to be a quite prescient season (3?), and then ratchets it up way further! The ensemble acting is stellar in both the big and meta arcs, as well as the characters growing personal relationships. It asks some pressing questions in our tech world, and also has great comedic moments. It's a bit of a slow burn at first; the characters are getting to know each other and pieces are being put in place. You won't be disappointed if you stick with it. Go watch! :D

Last edited:
Love that they have brought back Murphy Brown.

I liked that reboot, too. Especially the relationship between Murphy and her son Avery :).

Regarding your mention of "God Friended Me", I've heard a few good things about that one, too. I did like the last show Brandon Micheal Hall was in, "The Mayor"-it didn't last long, unfortunately, but I thought it was cute. So maybe I should give his new show a look.

just found out alex trebek has stage 4 cancer. my heart hurts. hoping for the best outcome for him but by his own admission it doesn't look great. :sigh:

just found out alex trebek has stage 4 cancer. my heart hurts. hoping for the best outcome for him but by his own admission it doesn't look great. :sigh:

Yeah stage 4 pancreatic cancer no less....doesn't sound good.

I still hold him personally responsible for not getting called to go on the show after passing the audition/test years ago, but hope for the best for him.

Legit excited for the new season of The Good Fight. I'm too impatient to wait the 12-13 weeks it'll take for the season to air fully so I can sign up for CBS All Access and binge it ... I may sign up for it with the premiere and just suck up the $9 a month.

I mean, how is this upcoming guest role description not worth it?

"Michael Sheen’s utterly deranged guest turn as the scenery-chewing, substance-abusing, Roy Cohn–worshipping lawyer Roland Blum. "

Cori, you still watch drag race? I still love some Vanjie, but I won’t be mad if Yvie wins. In fact I’ll probably be all YAY GO DENVER acting like i’m from here or some shit just because I’ve seen her perform a handful of times since I’ve been here.

Watched the first season of The Deuce this week. It totally feels like a modernly produced version of The Wire, but different subject matter. I can’t remember the context but someone even had a McNulty “the fuck did I do?” line and it made me laugh.

The OA, Part II:

Another brilliant season, and I loved the expansion of the world and mythology. Great use of the San Francisco location and co-lead character Kareem. And as strange as last season was, this just doubled-down on the insanity. The nightclub scene with the giant octopus is something David Lynch would kill Laura Dean to come up with. And the finale's last twist is one of the greatest WTF moments in TV history.

But as before, it's not just a bunch of weird stuff with no point to it. The creators have big hearts and it's their empathy for people experiencing trauma that makes thsi as powerful as it is.

Hoping they get approved for a third season.

Cori, you still watch drag race? I still love some Vanjie, but I won’t be mad if Yvie wins. In fact I’ll probably be all YAY GO DENVER acting like i’m from here or some shit just because I’ve seen her perform a handful of times since I’ve been here.

Whoops, just saw this. I switched to YouTube TV and lost VH1, so I haven't seen this season. I'm mostly okay with that - I wasn't enjoying it as much as I used to.

I hadn't heard Vanjie came back for this season, and I ain't mad about that.

GET HYPE

Really curious to see what direction Lindelof takes this material in. Any post-Lost skeptics should be reassured by his brilliant handling of The Leftovers, which had it been given another season or two could have been up there with the all-time shows.

Whoops, just saw this. I switched to YouTube TV and lost VH1, so I haven't seen this season. I'm mostly okay with that - I wasn't enjoying it as much as I used to.

I hadn't heard Vanjie came back for this season, and I ain't mad about that.

I think we’re paying for it off amazon for something because we switched to hulu live and it doesn’t have vh1. I’m not the one who deals with the TV stuff though, so I’m not entirely sure. I do know that in order to watch Fosse/Verdon I need to go through Hulu.

Can't remember if this has been discussed but, wow, I just watched the first episode of FLEABAG on Prime Video and it's fucking brilliant. Apparently the star/writer/creator has also co-written the new James Bond movie and created Killing Eve (which has generated a lot of buzz the last couple years). Her name is Phoebe Waller-Bridge and I'm very impressed.

While I’ve got HBO for awhile (for Game of Thrones), I’ve been marathoning HBO shows to get caught up on things I was interested in.

So far Chernobyl is fantastic. I had no idea Jared Harris was Jonathan Harris’ son until just this week. Makes me want to go back and rewatch Mad Men in that light. I’m three episodes into Big Little Lies and am entertained in an uncomfortable sort of way. I wasn’t a huge fan of Sharp Objects, but I liked it enough to watch the whole season. The Deuce felt like an alternate universe of The Wire, which made it feel familiar. And I’ve also just started season 3 of True Detective and it seems promising.

I guess I’m getting my money’s worth.

While I’ve got HBO for awhile (for Game of Thrones), I’ve been marathoning HBO shows to get caught up on things I was interested in.

So far Chernobyl is fantastic. I had no idea Jared Harris was Jonathan Harris’ son until just this week. Makes me want to go back and rewatch Mad Men in that light. I’m three episodes into Big Little Lies and am entertained in an uncomfortable sort of way. I wasn’t a huge fan of Sharp Objects, but I liked it enough to watch the whole season. The Deuce felt like an alternate universe of The Wire, which made it feel familiar. And I’ve also just started season 3 of True Detective and it seems promising.

I guess I’m getting my money’s worth.
Jared Harris is the son of Richard Harris but yeah, Chernobyl is great. Just completely mesmerizing. I'm three episodes into it. I might go ahead and finish the final two right now. What a deeply sad story the whole thing is.

Jared Harris is the son of Richard Harris but yeah, Chernobyl is great. Just completely mesmerizing. I'm three episodes into it. I might go ahead and finish the final two right now. What a deeply sad story the whole thing is.

Yeah, and I know why I said Jonathan. It’s because the first movie I saw Richard Harris in was The Cassandra Crossing, in which he plays a character named Jonathan Chamberlain. For some reason I always think of his name as Jonathan Harris because of that.

Posted this on Facebook, but I figured I'd share it here as well on the off-chance there might be some conversation to be had about it. Please keep in mind that this is ALL I have seen of Star Trek besides Wrath of Khan. I watched IV and TNG episodes as a kid, but I remember absolutely nothing, so please no spoilers for anything to come or for the Abrams films, please.

WARNING: A really nerdy, uncool pitiful post about Star Trek TOS incoming. You have been warned.

As some of you who read my Facebook posts are probably already aware, I have been slogging my way through Star Trek The Original Series for probably the last 7 years give or take. While I very much enjoyed it, I could never quite seem to finish it. I chalk that up to an ending run in season 2 that I wasn't that enthralled by and then the pitiable low-budget boring mess that season 3 could sometimes be.

Be that as it may, I am struck with the way I feel right now, as I come to the final episode of the series. While I'm sure we all have our experiences with the depression that comes from the end of a good book or TV series, I've never before felt so much anxiety at the prospect of finishing one. I think this may have something to do with how much my heart ended up warming to Season 3 in the last few weeks as I forced myself to finally finish the series. And I think it also has to do with how unfair time has been to both the series and its lead.

For the show itself: Under a modern microscope, I suppose it can be quite corny, but to try and put myself in the place of watching it in the 1960s, I can only imagine it was at the very least somewhat controversial. There are episodes in Season 3 that deal with racism in a way that might seem pathetically thinly-veiled now, but I do hope at the time maybe it affected at least a portion of its viewers. The influence it had on Sci-Fi itself can't be denied and again, while Season 3's low budget made for a lot more dialogue-heavy plots, it clearly also had an episode that would eventually give us the Highlander franchise, and I couldn't be happier for that fact.

As for William Shatner: I think most people also already know that Boston Legal is one of my five favorite shows of all time, so maybe I just have a really soft spot for the guy, but I don't think he's a bad actor at all. Sure, his line deliveries are the stuff of infamous legend, but I think parody has taken over for fact in the case of his character as a whole. Shatner does a great job of imparting the right levels of emotion to many different situations and while there are plenty of episodes where he falls in love at the drop of a hat, the legends of his many space conquests are certainly exaggerated.

So I think overall I'm just depressed at not only what could have been if the show had been allowed to thrive, but for how time has created a narrative of something less than what it truly is: One of the most forward-thinking, influential pieces of media to have existed in our time. I'm glad to finally be a part of the community and look forward to continuing on to the films. I keep reminding myself, there's so much more (both good and bad) to come

I used to watch the reruns as a kid (contrary to popular belief, not quite old enough to have watched the show first run :wink: )never watched the series in order, but was definitely into it from pre-teen through teenage years, even had action figures. Kind of lost the bug by the time TNG came about, so never really got into that.
But yes it was definitely a very influential series (obviously the first interracial kiss on TV a big part of that)

Probably my favorite episode and scene ever, right down to the music:

I loved that episode. I started this show so long ago, I'm really antsy to rewatch the good stuff from seasons 1 and 2.

The first interracial kiss is a little different when you see it in context, really sketched out by that whole episode, actually. Funny enough in the very next episode, or two later, Kirk makes out several times and far less creepily with another woman of a different race (Asian), and there was no fuss made about trying not to show it, like Nichols and Shatner claim happened when they wanted to film alternate angles for different regional broadcasts.

I've only seen a selection of TOS (but many of the supposed "best" episodes), and while I appreciate it for what it brought to TV and sci-fi, I think TNG blows it out of the water in almost every conceivable way.

Speaking of which, the new series Picard is coming later this year and I'm really hoping it's good.

I think that's my sorta feeling I'd that of course TNG is better because it has way more potential to be. I wish I could see the show that TOS could have been in a similar situation, but obviously that would be impossible, not to mention less impactful.

Anyways, I started watching the animated series, haha, forgot it existed. Netflix has pretty much everything they've ever done.

I'm really curious about that Picard show, it blows my mind that it's even happening.

Back
Top Bottom