Random TV Talk III - Do the Russell Coight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first two eps of The Spoils of Babylon are all over the place. Will Ferrell bookending each one as an Orson Welles-selling-wine-esque author is the immediate high point, with Kristen Wiig's histrionics coming in a close second.

If you liked the hyper-specific parody/homage of Casa De mi Padre and have a soft spot for lavish early '80s TV miniseries, then this may be for you.

I watched the first two episodes. The commercials were funnier.

Any scene involving Ferrell & Wiig crush it. Unfortunately that's only half of the show.

Watched 2 episodes and was really let down. Could not tell if it was a send up or an homage or both, and it rarely made me laugh outside of Ferrell as Orson Welles.

I want to watch funny shows. :(

I jumped ship after last week's. Were it about the show-within-the-show's production, with Ferrell/Welles as the omniscient narrator, I'd be so onboard.

Basically if it was Hearts of Darkness meets F for Fake with frozen peas.

Impy, we started watching Adventure Time. Last night, this made my entire life:

neptr_6492.png

"Just boysenberries. Heh heh heh. And also... poison."

So my housemate and I have been watching the walking dead at work tonight, and I'm still amazingly impressed with how slow-paced and boring that show is.

Tree Trunks is my favorite character so far.

We didn't get the nice, kid-friendly ending to her episode, either. I was traumatized, until I found out that she comes back.

I think TT exploding and the looks of horror on Finn and Jake's faces was the moment I was completely sold and knew the show would become an obsession.

I don't have much to say about this Laz, outside of the fact that SCUBA, (if such a person existed….and he doesn't, come on, give me a break)….really really hopes you have nothing but positives to say about the show.

Has anyone watched Rick and Morty yet? I've not been a regular viewer of Adult Swim since undergrad, but this show looks like it might be going back a bit more to what I used to enjoy about AS in the early days.

I just found it a few days ago and think it's really solid and funny. Meeseeks and Destroy was the first episode I saw, and then circled around to the Pilot and Rick Potion #9. It's got some of that Futurama madness in the script (and fun how much the mad scientist is based off of Dan Harmon four drinks in talking during Harmontown).

The ratings are surprisingly good- I think it beat Archer in the young people's ratings demo last week.

Just binged Broadchurch over the last few days.

So well done. Not sure if they 100% stuck the landing but it's ever so hard to have a perfect end to these sort of things. Regardless, the cast was excellent, the case had its usual feints and misdirection but by now everyone should be immune to that. The look at how a small town comes together/splits apart during such a period of time was also well handled. Good stuff…..

I will be interested to see how the American version is handled.

Has anyone watched that Black Sails show on Stars? Entertaining? Stupid? Both? Neither?

I haven't heard anyone say anything positive about it. Probably should just delete it off of my DVR.

Masters of Sex is a great show, definitely deserves the acclaim. It's like Mad Men without the booze. It seems a bit cold at first but the acting and storyline wins you over.

Masters of Sex started dragging for me about halfway through the season, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Caught Jay Leno's final show last night. In the Late Night Wars, I was a Letterman guy, but Jay's final show was nice. He had Billy Crystal as his lone sit down guest and Garth Brooks played a of couple songs. Plus, some special guests showed up like Oprah, Jack Black and Carol Burnet. Jay had himself a pretty good run as the host of The Tonight Show. Hopefully, NBC will be patient with Jimmy Fallon and allow him the time to make the show his own. (Unlike Conan, who NBC dumped after 9 months. :sad:)

Caught Jay Leno's final show last night. In the Late Night Wars, I was a Letterman guy, but Jay's final show was nice. He had Billy Crystal as his lone sit down guest and Garth Brooks played a of couple songs. Plus, some special guests showed up like Oprah, Jack Black and Carol Burnett. Jay had himself a pretty good run as the host of The Tonight Show. Hopefully, NBC will be patient with Jimmy Fallon and allow him the time to make the show his own. (Unlike Conan, who NBC dumped after 9 months. :sad:)

I watched Leno's show whenever I had the time. Amidst the 'Late Night Wars', he had a great run, and deserves his retirement from The Tonight Show. He himself said it was the right time to retire, though I'm sure that was to cover-up NBC's (always controversial) decisions.

I can't wait for Jimmy Fallon to take over, I'm sure he'll do great because I loved watching him on 'Late Night'. He will probably suffer a bit in ratings (predicting the same for Seth Meyers) at first, but I don't think they are going to bring Leno back for a 3rd time.

I've only seen some of the Fallon things that have gone viral. I DVRd the "Best of Jimmy Fallon Show" that was on last week and watched it last night. Laughed my damn ass off.

I'll have to give the new Tonight Show a chance, even if he's not a great interviewer. The other stuff is great.

I've started catching up with The X Files on Netflix for pretty much the first time ever since the series ended and the syndicated episodes stopped showing at 11pm on a local network, and (admittedly with a bit of discretion in episode choice) they're just as great as I'd remembered. Watched Ice, Clyde Bruckman's Last Repose, and Pusher-a lot more to go, obviously, but really impressed watching Darin Morgan and Vince Gilligan write their episodes and how a network drama could pull of some serious cinematic airs. A lot of fun.

I grew up at the right time where seeing the credits on late night (~midnight) could have a lot of meaning. I love the earlier Vancouver episodes before production moved to LA. A lot of northwest Douglas Fir/Cedar forests feel right for that sort of mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom