Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #1006
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
When Fox lost King of the Hill, a lot of people thought the network wouldn't find such a consistently strong show for quite a while, if ever. But honestly, as good as KOTH was, Bob's Burgers has been just as consistently good over 6+ seasons, with all of the warmth and character-driven humor that made KOTH great, but with added strangeness and culturally progressive ideals. I'm thrilled that Loren Bouchard finally got his time in the sun after a terrific show like Home Movies never quite gained traction.
Eh, I feel that KOTH had to work harder than any great comedy in history to get to their jokes despite it being very character driven. The humor had to kind of work itself out of the plot and it's outstanding that they put out six great seasons doing just that. Obviously, it was never the same around Season 7 onward when they switched to digital animation and were really just stockpiling the syndication ammo (as if they really needed to go to 250 episodes). It was still a good show at the end though.

Closest thing to KOTH, ever, is obviously Parks & Recreation. It's like the same damn thing.

I don't love Bob's Burgers despite absolutely being enamored with Home Movies and Dr. Katz. Those shows were funny with a little weird, this is a lot of weird with some funny. But it's too easy in terms of jokes half the time. How many instances do the kids just rhyme some crap for a joke (or whatever the joke is, but you know what I'm getting at)? Happens like hundreds of times in just a single season.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #1007
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
This Is Us is the only must-see new network drama this year. Definitely check that one out.
I really like it so far, very much like Parenthood, which I loved.

I rolled my eyes at the twist/surprise at the end of the pilot, but I can deal. I expect a level of sap with these kinds of shows.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #1008
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It was a nice twist, but it's kind of funny that the network had to basically advertise it with a vague sounding premise (people born on the same day) in order to not give it away. Really isn't as compelling a show when described that way.

It had the highest ratings of the season of any new show so far, surprisingly, and held up well in Week 2 and was given a full season order, so it might have a lot of legs despite it feeling a little too dark and niche for the mainstream.

My girlfriend pointed out that the same guy who did This is Us also did Pitch, so there's that.

Oh, Speechless and Designated Survivor just got full season pickups as well. And a renewal for You're The Worst.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #1009
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
I've been watching older episodes of Louie via Netflix. Seasons 3 & 4 really took on a new direction and feel. The two-part "In the Woods" episode from season 4 was amazing.
Yeah, he kind of gave up on straight comedy after Season 2. From the first season onward, the show became less and less funny with each passing year but Louie continually grew artistically so it all evens out quality-wise.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:04 PM   #1010
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
And a renewal for You're The Worst.
I LOVE that show.

I made the mistake of watching the latest episode in the middle of the night while I was up with an anxiety attack. Oof, that was hard to watch someone else having PTSD while I was having my own problems. Super strong episode, though - really well done.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:41 AM   #1011
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists.../fargo-w439584

Not sure if it was posted before but RS ranked the 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time.

My favorites seemed to be in the proper spots.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think this has been posted before, because I vaguely remember seeing such a list once and wondering what you need to be smoking to put Oz at 99 behind a bunch of talk shows, reality shows, and Jeopardy.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #1012
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It was a new list that came out two weeks ago.

Breaking Bad
Seinfeld
Curb

Are a few of my favorites. All in good spots.

Jersey Shore got snubbed. Jk

Old 10-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #1013
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I was shocked that American Idol made the list and Survivor didn't...the latter actually has content, changed the face of television and a good share of critics that will go to bat for it. American Idol was just Star Search with convenient timing and a bunch of product placement.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #1014
Blue Crack Addict

Really loved the first episode of Westworld.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #1015
Blue Crack Supplier

Cori, I've given up on the Alaska sends everyone home who isn't named Roxxxy Andrews Show.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #1016
Blue Crack Distributor

God damn it, I hadn't watched it yet.

It's okay - I suspected what happened after a friend posted a vague (but spoiler-free) pissed-off thing about the show on Facebook.

I like Alaska and Detoxx as well, so I'll get over it.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #1017
Blue Crack Supplier

Oops, sorry. I haven't actually watched it either, I was mostly just saying from last week and from what someone spoilered for me from yesterday. I like all of them, I'll be over it too. Just makes for annoying tv week to week.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:29 PM   #1018
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Really loved the first episode of Westworld.
Yeah I'm gonna watch this tonight. Free preview on HBO this weekend. I've heard a lot of good things.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:32 PM   #1019
Blue Crack Distributor

It's still on my DVR.

I am SUCH a dope. I was rolling my eyes at the end of the pilot of This Is Us. I only just now realized that the scenes with Milo V & Mandy Moore were flashbacks the whole time. I totally thought they were a couple "now," and their lives intersected somehow with the other characters, and that the "oh, adopting a kid left at a fire house" was like "history repeating itself" and that was the twist. (I guess the twist was "surprise! These people are siblings!", but I assumed they were siblings from the get-go - I just thought Mandy Moore or Milo were also a sibling of the others.)

Holy shit, I'm so dumb.

Now that I look back at both episodes, I can't even defend thinking the way I did. The show makes *so* much more sense now.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:58 AM   #1020
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The third episode of The Exorcist was creepy and great. Amazing how they pulled this off given how far the franchise had fallen after so many bad sequels (with the exception of the 1990 sequel).