Random TV Talk III - Do the Russell Coight - Page 66 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 04:06 AM   #976
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post

And Winona Ryder is shrill, annoying, but the only bad part of the series so she's tolerable enough.

fixed

Old 09-07-2016, 04:59 AM   #977
A childless dog

Local Time: 10:54 PM
I thought Stranger Things was great but flawed. A big part of what I didn't like about it was Winona Ryder, who egregiously overacted in every scene. She cranked it to 10 at all times, even at the beginning of the series for that brief moment when it wasn't at all called for. Seems like it's a really divisive performance; some thought it was a great comeback, others thought it was horrible. I'm definitely in agreement with the latter.

Show is good though and everyone should give it a chance. Great soundtrack, cinematography and aesthetic. Some of the child performances are pleasant surprises too. It's really just Ryder and some uneven pacing throughout the series that drags it down for me. The episode where the Christmas lights are introduced is my favorite. Those lights were an awesome visual.

Now.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:19 AM   #978
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:54 AM
Yikes
Old 09-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #979
Blue Crack Supplier

The soundtrack is awesome, somebody owes John Carpenter a beer.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #980
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

My girlfriend and I leave the streaming (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon) dramas to be watched by ourselves because who has the time while we watch all the comedies that we both like together and do the same for basically all the top tier non-streaming produced dramas that we can get around to (since there's like 80 right now).

In other words, I haven't actually seen a streaming drama series since Making A Murderer.

Maybe I'll get around to the new season of House of Cards or Stranger Things eventually, but there's always just so many damn films to watch and the rest of life getting in the way...I just don't really feel the urgency to watch some series that I know will be sitting on Netflix for the rest of my life.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #981
Blue Crack Addict

I am in the minority who thought Stranger Things is overrated. I went in with very high expectations and just didn't enjoy it. Couldn't stand Wynona Ryder, she was chewing the scenery a la Sally Field in every scene. I also got the intense feeling the entire time that the showrunners were trying REALLY hard to make it an 80s nostalgia piece, which they pulled off but something about it felt inauthentic to me.

Very much liked The Night Of, even though the last ep had some serious issues.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #982
Blue Crack Addict

I found stranger things before any of the hype
so for me I had no expectations and it was pretty good
but with all the hype it falls short.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #983
Blue Crack Addict

I'm excited for Westworld.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #984
Blue Crack Distributor

I am extremely underwhelmed by The Night Of.

I have 3 episodes left, and am waiting for something to happen other than Naz becoming bad in prison, and John Turturro parading his disgusting feet around.

I'll keep watching because I want to see whodunnit (I'm going to be pissed if they don't give a clear answer), but I don't get the hype for this one.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #985
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think there's a divide between those that wanted drama and those that wanted reality. If you're looking for a well told tale that resembles how things could go in the real world, The Night Of is pretty great. If you're wanting to watch something with a lot of dramatic heft and things to say, then you'll probably just be bored to tears.

Neither answer is wrong in my opinion. Show Me A Hero is probably in the same ballpark although the story (a real life one at that) was way more compelling.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #986
Blue Crack Distributor

I only watched 1 or 2 episodes of Show Me a Hero and gave up.

This isn't *bad* by any stretch, it's obviously well-acted and thoughtful, it just wasn't what I was expecting/hoping for. And I'm not invested in the story or the characters. (I guess I'm invested in the story enough to watch til the end.)
Old 09-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #987
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I've been watching older episodes of Louie via Netflix. Seasons 3 & 4 really took on a new direction and feel. The two-part "In the Woods" episode from season 4 was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 09-26-2016, 03:11 AM   #988
A childless dog

Bob's Burgers continues to completely outclass everything on Fox for the 7th season in a row. Tonight's episode was wonderful, one of the best premieres they've ever done. The writing staff has such a strong grasp on what makes their characters tick and are putting real effort into building them each week.

When Fox lost King of the Hill, a lot of people thought the network wouldn't find such a consistently strong show for quite a while, if ever. But honestly, as good as KOTH was, Bob's Burgers has been just as consistently good over 6+ seasons, with all of the warmth and character-driven humor that made KOTH great, but with added strangeness and culturally progressive ideals. I'm thrilled that Loren Bouchard finally got his time in the sun after a terrific show like Home Movies never quite gained traction.

Now.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #989
Blue Crack Distributor

I love Bob's Burgers.

Other new shows I've watched and will keep watching:

Queen Sugar (bonus points for outstanding use of Drowning Man in the pilot)

Speechless

The Good Place

I tried these and was like "no":

The Exorcist. I didn't even know this was a thing, but saw it on the lineup and decided to watch. That's 45 minutes I'll never get back.

Designated Survivor. I wasn't expecting this to be one that held my interest for more than an episode or two, but my suspension of disbelief couldn't extend far enough.

Everyone was just way too calm about the president, capitol building and half of the government being wiped out with a bomb. Like, how is anyone even functioning?

Also, after the above event, why in the world would the Secret Service or anyone think President Keifer and his family should be put in the White House? Like, why is he not in an underground bunker or something?

It was just too dumb.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #990
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Speechless
Watched the premiere of this and thought it was pretty funny.