Old 07-02-2015, 02:31 AM   #721
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:38 AM
2 episodes in and I will say best new series this year
even with Christian Slater in the cast.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:39 PM   #722
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:38 AM
I am not sure if it's the best new series this year or not, but, I have enjoyed the first two episodes a lot more than I expected, especially the pilot.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:51 PM   #723
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Wayward Pines is my favorite new show. Aquarius didn't hold my interest, big disappointment.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:29 AM   #724
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:38 PM
Finished season 1 of Hannibal.

This is my kind of show. It takes itself completely seriously except in those moments when it doesn't (I think of it as a grotesque black comedy more than anything), Mads Mikkelsen is fantastic, Fishburne is doing his best work in ages and of course, the combination of cinematography, sound design and music truly creates a disturbing, baroque, hellish atmosphere. Even the violence has a poetic side to it. Easily the best work on network television I've seen as far as that aspect is concerned.

There's a big X-Files/Millennium influence there which is a very good thing. It's a shame that they didn't get Lance Henriksen for a bigger and more important role.

If I have one complaint (outside of the plot being outrageously absurd which is a given when taking the basic premise into account), it's Hugh Dancy's uneven performance. Sometimes - as in the season's climax - he's absolutely on the mark, sometimes his delivery screams "acting!" for me. And they're having trouble making the main female characters interesting. The supporting, recurring ones are far more intriguing (Freddie, Bedelia, Abigail etc.).

I do love where the storyline is going. It's wonderfully over-the-top and completely shameless about it. I think I'll start catching up with the rest by the time second half of season 3 starts.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:41 AM   #725
Refugee

Local Time: 01:38 PM
I am so jealous you're about to experience season 2 for the first time.

Dancy's performance also improves, which seems to go hand in hand as Will's confidence increases. Less tics and more natural, I guess.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #726
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:38 AM
I still have episode two of Season 3 of Hannibal lodged in my head.

Agreed that Dancy's performance is more....grounded, I guess, in Season 2 but I didn't really have much of an issue with it in Season 1.

Also, so far so good on the Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell front, definitely enjoying it.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #727
Blue Crack Distributor

Okay, I'm on the Mr Robot train.

That was a fantastic pilot episode.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #728
A childless dog

Finished The Wire.

Yeah, that season stabilized itself. I didn't like all of the choices that were made (Omar's anticlimactic death was a big one; for all of its realism, it was a failure from a dramatic perspective and he deserved better), but by the end it seemed a fairly logical and satisfying conclusion to a great show. One aspect I really enjoyed was the numerous callbacks to characters from earlier seasons (various demoted officers from season 1, The Greek, Krawczyk). The Wire always had strong continuity and that lasted to the end.

McNulty coming clean was...well, it's one way to go. It salvages his character somewhat, but further cheapens his already inexplicable character change from late season 4 to episode 7-ish of season 5, as if the writers themselves were apologizing for what they did to him. He sobered up at some point along the way, but I missed when that was. More work could have been done to transition him from cocky to contrite, but that never happened. Lester never had a change of heart in any capacity, which is odd because he was the wrong character to get involved in this scheme to begin with.

I liked Marlo feeling that he still needed to prove himself on the streets. I liked Bubbles being accepted by his sister. I liked Carver being promoted for staying the course. There were countless moments of fan service in the closing montage that made me feel good. But it wasn't enough to convince me that the very basis for this season was anything more than a cynical "what if" from the writers that ran a number of well-crafted characters through the mud. The newspaper plot grew more engaging over time, but the writers fumbled that one. It was a missed opportunity. Too much too soon and they didn't bring the goods from the start.

Every season but 2 and 5 were introduced to us in a smooth and natural manner and it's no coincidence that both of those seasons started off very slowly. I didn't start enjoying season 5 until somewhere around the halfway mark, but from then on it was pretty decent. It's not a travesty and it doesn't diminish the legacy of a great show. But it is the weakest season and I find myself glad that the show ended when it did because cracks were beginning to show. That being said, as the finale drew to a close, I was pleased to see that despite how much had changed, the relationships between the main cast of characters remained strong. The core was still recognizable. Season 1 didn't feel so far away. The world of The Wire is, ultimately, a relatively small one.

Great show, but you guys knew that already. Ranking the seasons:

4 > 3 > 1 >>> 2 > 5

Now.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #729
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:38 PM
I think you're wrong about Omar, but you'd need a second viewing to see why that is the case.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #730
A childless dog

It was a necessary fallen domino for the case, but it felt cheap to me. The scene immediately before it felt like a sendoff for the character, the beginning of Omar's end, but I didn't expect it to come so quickly and flatly. As you said, perhaps I'll see it differently in time. EDIT: On second viewing of the scene, I noticed one thing I really liked: seconds before he dies, Omar looks over and sees Kenard but thinks nothing of him. That's really sad.

I did, however, feel the deaths of Snoop and Cheese were just right. Those couldn't have been staged any better.

Now.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #731
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:38 AM

I loved how they handled Omar's death, and I've yet to think of a better way for him to go out. At first glance it appeared borderline random, but with the connection of Kenard being someone in Baltimore who Omar's legacy influenced it really does make a lot of sense. The mythology around Omar both created the kid who would end up killing him and covered it up as his death was spun into a thousand stories of him being shot in a final blaze of glory. It goes back to what Bunk laid out for him when he berated him on that alley bench way back when. Omar's enemies feared him, but kids glorified him. And having a vigilante of sorts out there created a whole 'nother vessel with which to warp a child's view of the game and the seriousness of killing.

It also tied well into Marlo's story. Marlo wasn't going to get killed by Omar, but even in an inglorious death Omar got what Marlo always wanted and could never get.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #732
A childless dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
It also tied well into Marlo's story. Marlo wasn't going to get killed by Omar, but even in an inglorious death Omar got what Marlo always wanted and could never get.
I think they did a great job with Marlo's storyline, particularly here. His life was summed up in 2 minutes. He was gifted the life Stringer Bell wanted but couldn't have, ducked out of the party and went back to the only world he knows, only to find that Omar's legend continues to undermine him. He overpowers the two kids and conquers yet another corner, only to find himself alone. Because he's off his fucking rocker, the blood on his shredded sleeve convinces him that he's a bigger man.

In many ways, he won the game the first time around. No one else had. But his thirst for respect and lack of experience in the straight world will lead him to keep playing again and again until it kills him. I would feel for the character, but he's a fucking sociopath. Omar I have sympathy for.

Now.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #733
Blue Crack Distributor

And just like that, Travis ruins the whole show for anyone else who was a decade behind.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #734
A childless dog

Oh wow, I didn't realize you couldn't quote someone in a spoiler tag without it showing up on the app. That's weird. It's covered on the desktop and mobile.

Now.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #735
45:33

Local Time: 12:38 AM
I've been watching Daria lately. What a great show.