Random TV Talk III - Do the Russell Coight - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #616
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:18 AM
Surprise! There's an airplane to see you!

Old 03-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #617
A childless dog

Local Time: 12:18 PM
Don's already dead, that's how he can watch Cooper tap dance in the great beyond. The remaining episodes will involve Don the Philandering Ghost setting up SC&P for future success before jumping out the window, Birdman-style, into the next life. Peggy will glance out the window and smile.

Now.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:03 AM   #618
Blue Crack Distributor

Ok, I took the plunge, I'm watching The Neighbors. I decided to follow this drinking game at the same time. I only got halfway through one episode before I started feeling sick. This shit is awwwwwwwwwwfulllll, .
Old 03-22-2015, 06:35 AM   #619
45:33

Local Time: 07:18 AM
As in our Neighbours?
Old 03-22-2015, 06:40 AM   #620
A childless dog

Waht ah dayy!

Now.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #621
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
As in our Neighbours?
No, lol, notice spelling. It's the latest in all things Tommy Wiseau.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:53 AM   #622
Blue Crack Addict

Bates Motel still is a heck of a lot of fun.
Vera Farmiga is the glue that makes this so great.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #623
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:18 PM
Sorry to be responding to a two-week-old conversation, but I had to respond to a couple of Laz's posts regarding BB. I'll take them in reverse chronological order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Gunn and the character got better as the show went on (the opposite of Jesse, really).
I strongly disagree with this. Jesse's character only became more important and more tragic as the show went on. He was this damaged druggie kid with emotional issues perhaps stemming from his feelings of rejection and having been given up on by his emotionally distant/abusive parents, and so at the beginning he latched onto 'Mr. White' because he was that desperate for some form of guidance from an older figure and also because he wanted to do drugs and make some money.

They were more buddy-buddy early on because they were both stumbling through this meth-cooking scheme, in way over their heads, both of them scared shitless and both of them desperate to do something to ease their feelings of weakness(Walt because he had cancer and had been walked over professionally, Jesse because he was an addict and because he had never had anyone love him the way he wanted/needed).

But by the later seasons, although Jesse had participated in much of what Walt did, he wasn't turning into a different guy alongside Walt's transformation. So as Walt becomes more and more drug lord and he breaks more and more bad, he becomes more and more ok with his behavior and his actions, but Jesse doesn't. That doesn't mean he wasn't still doing bad things, but it means doing those bad things bothered him, he knew they were wrong, he felt almost paralyzing guilt about some of his and Walt's actions by the end of the series.

By the end, Walt is no longer stumbling, no longer scared, no longer desperate. He's just a criminal. But Jesse is still the same damaged kid he was...actually more damaged and more hurt after the things Walt did to him and the way Walt emotionally manipulated him over and over again. It was like a case-study of 'how much can this kid take'. But in spite of all of this, Jesse remained the moral center of the show. As one article I was just reading put it, he never broke bad. People always talk about how viewers were rooting for Walt, by the last couple of seasons, I - and I know many others - were rooting for Jesse. And his very last scene, when he tells Walt to 'do it yourself', was seen, I think, as a victory and a great moment for Jesse, for finally walking away from Walt once and for all - and I think he would've whether Walt died or not.

Anyway, that was a bit long-winded, but I couldn't disagree more about Jesse's character getting worse as the series went on.

Quote:
And one of the show's flaws is that they didn't consistently write well for the ensemble, only Walt. The cast of actors also pales in comparison to Mad Men's.
This I find astonishing. The cast of actors pales in comparison to Mad Men's? Look, I'm not going to put one thing down in order to raise another - Mad Men's cast has indeed been brilliant, and the only real weak link I can think of is perhaps January Jones - but Breaking Bad's cast was referred to on many occasions as one of the greatest ensemble casts in the history of television.

Aside from Cranston...

Aaron Paul deservedly won multiple emmys for his portrayal of Jesse. His performance was incredible. The way he brought Jesse's pain and self-loathing to life moved me consistently.

Dean Norris brought a consistency to the character of Hank, the chief foil of the series. He was a teddy bear with his family and his co-workers but a killer with bad guys. An interesting duality, both sides of which I think were driven by a basic decency. I thought his portrayal of Hank's increasing obsession with 'Heisenberg', his subsequent mental unraveling, and his emotional state upon/after finding out that Walt was Heisenberg, was very effective.

Giancarlo Esposito pretty much made a legend of himself for his portrayal of Gus Fring, and were his category not so stacked, he may have won an emmy for it. He would've deserved it. One of the greatest/scariest/most effective villains ever on television.

Jonathan Banks simply was Mike. Stone-faced, world-weary, a well of depth beneath his seemingly unshakable exterior, watching Walt, Jesse, and Saul through the eyes of a man who's seen it all. The 'half-measures' speech is chilling. Banks erased any doubt of the kind of actor he is - not that I had any - in the recent episode of Better Call Saul that revolved around Mike.

Bob Odenkirk was perfect in the role of the sleazy Saul Goodman, so much so that I can't really picture anyone else playing that role.

Raymond Cruz was Tuco in the early seasons...he was scary as shit. The kind of scary where you think, if he's even a halfway normal person in real life, then he's a great actor.

Anyway, I've gotten long-winded again. I just don't understand where you're coming from saying that the cast of actors pales in comparison to anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I find it astounding that people want to put Breaking Bad alongside it as an example of the peaks that television has achieved. The gulf between them is enormous, even if BB has had great directors on certain episodes. Mad Men has an aesthetic that has been so carefully cultivated that it really puts everything else to shame.
I simply don't think the gulf between them is that enormous, but it's hard to compare because they are such different beasts. Again, I'm not saying anything bad about Mad Men, it's a brilliant character study and one of the greatest shows ever(although I'll echo the sentiments about Don's pattern of sexual behavior becoming repetitive and tiresome).

But I'll say this for why I believe Breaking Bad is an example of the peaks that television as achieved. I think it showed what the potential can be of a particular format. There are serial dramas, like Mad Man, that are serial but still pretty episodic in nature. But in recent years, as the idea of binge-watching has taken hold, the idea of purely serial dramatic television has taken hold. Shows that are like one very, very long film. I suppose that idea has been around at least since 24, but the format of that show was based on a mechanism that limited its ability to really spread its storytelling wings or really develop any of its characters.

But to me, Breaking Bad, particularly the last couple of seasons(I recognize that the first season or two wasn't quite as much like this), were a statement: This is what serial storytelling on television can be like. This is the type of cinematic scope, the breadth of story, the quality of acting, that can be achieved on this medium. To me it was a revelation of a theatrical platform that could be host to types of stories that couldn't be told on any on other theatrical platform - not theater, not film, not even serial television dramas of a more episodic nature. I think that's very exciting, and I think it's exciting that there are more and more shows with this kind of ambition - like GoT or House of Cards or Homeland just to name a couple - and yet I feel that the surface has barely been scratched on what can be done with this type of visual storytelling.

So, that's my point of view.

Sorry for getting long-winded yet again.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:56 AM   #624
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:18 PM
Old 04-12-2015, 12:58 AM   #625
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Mad Men's the superior series of its generation. The writing was stronger (perhaps the best in television history...although The Wire exists...) and it didn't rely on any gimmicks to keep viewers interested whereas the one fault of Breaking Bad was how its final season was beyond ridiculous in terms of the action-movie unbelievability of it all. In fact, it was borderline stupid at times.

When the dust settles, it will be Mad Men > Breaking Bad > Game of Thrones. Plenty of shows will have aired during GoT's tenure that were better at one point, but its consistency and the length of its run are what will put it up there with the other two greats.

Best of the new breed of dramas from the past couple years? Rectify...The Knick...The Affair...all excel in at least one particular category (such as The Knick being the best directed show in history thanks to Mr. Soderbergh).

It should also be noted that Mad Men is the first drama to be great through seven seasons. X-Files was pretty-good-to-great for six. Six Feet Under and Breaking Bad were awesome for five.

Reminds me also just how overrated The Sopranos is in the grand scheme of things. Its contribution to television and how it changed the landscape should never be undervalued, but it's child play in so many ways to what came later...and it friggin dragged on forever without anything new to offer roughly three seasons in.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:04 AM   #626
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Forgot why I came in here, since the discussion was fascinating. The first three Game of Thrones episodes have leaked.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #627
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm finally getting around to Orange Is the New Black. I thought it was going to be one of those "I've waited too long, and it'll never live up to the hype," but I'm really enjoying it.

I bought a Roku, since I'm too lazy to keep hooking up my laptop to my TV for streaming and I hate watching stuff on my laptop or iPad. I'm loving it.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #628
A vampire or a victim...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I'm finally getting around to Orange Is the New Black. I thought it was going to be one of those "I've waited too long, and it'll never live up to the hype," but I'm really enjoying it.

I bought a Roku, since I'm too lazy to keep hooking up my laptop to my TV for streaming and I hate watching stuff on my laptop or iPad. I'm loving it.
I need to look for an alternative for streaming to my tv soon. The YouTube app on my blu ray is becoming obsolete and unusable in another week, and I stream a lot of YouTube on my tv. Like you, I can't stand watching on my laptop.

(Also, GoT leak!!!)

Last night they loved you
Opening doors and pulling some strings, angel

Old 04-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #629
Blue Crack Addict

I guess I am lucky. My year old Samsung 55 inch LED is a smart TV
It has Netflix built in, works good. Chromecast, $35 works poorly with my ASUS laptop. However it is near perfect with my iPad. I used the HMDI cable on the iPad to watch some foreign language dramas on public television channel MHZ. Spiral was a great series. On Netflix, Rita is a good series about a single mother school teacher in Denmark.

Rita (TV Series 2012– ) - IMDb

Old 04-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #630
A childless dog

Desktop--->HDMI cable--->Smart TV

I can stream anything. Doesn't always look great, but it gets the job done.

Now.
Closed Thread