Random TV Talk III - Do the Russell Coight - Page 41 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:52 PM   #601
A childless dog

Local Time: 02:11 AM
MM has had some dreadfully boring arcs over the years. As far as quality is concerned, season 6 is less essential than any season of Breaking Bad. I mean, things happen, but it's all so ponderous and repetitive. I loved the first half of season 7, but I've heard more "wait, this show is still on?" comments toward Mad Men than I ever did toward Breaking Bad. Part of me wishes it had been canceled after season 5, but I'm glad there are new episodes to watch.

I'm not sure when I'll ever want to watch MM all the way though again. Individual episodes, sure. I like to watch Don's LA episodes from time to time because they have such a unique atmosphere.

Now.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:07 PM   #602
Blue Crack Supplier

I watched the whole thing through S6 last year and it was just as good as the first time around.

I think the descriptor "boring" is a lazy one to use in comparison to Breaking Bad. It's obviously a much slower-paced show, and each episode is like a self-contained short story, or distinct chapter in a novel. You're not the only one to criticize the Linda Cardellini storyline, but I thought it added a different layer to Don's history of affairs, especially in how reckless he had become in bringing it so close to home, culminating in Sally walking in on him. This is mirrored by his erratic and irresponsible behavior at the office.

Sure didn't feel like the same old thing to me.

And I'm aware the general public cares more about the cheap thrills of Game Of Thrones and Breaking Bad than the sophisticated storytelling and thematics of Mad Men. That doesn't translate to good taste. When critics look back to this period in time in TV, there's no doubt in my mind that MM is going to stand tall and alone at the top.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:13 PM   #603
A childless dog

Almost all of his affairs have bored me, not just Linda. When the marriage with Betty first began to splinter, I was intrigued but became exhausted by how long that got drawn out. I can't even remember who the faceless women of season 3 and 4 were. I really liked Megan and feel that, outside of Betty, she is one of the first women he's slept with that received the writing and development she deserved. And it's strange because I think the Mad Men writers are very fine at writing for women, much more so than Breaking Bad's writing staff, who only made Skyler interesting by making her one of the guys.

FWIW I do agree that GoT is rather cheap and thematically shallow (yet sublime in execution), but I wouldn't levy the same argument at BB. The writing in that show is very rich and complex, though the explosions and humorous moments distract from that in a way that Mad Men's austere aesthetic does not.

Now.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:38 PM   #604
45:33

Local Time: 09:11 PM
I still haven't finished season one of Mad Men so nothing to add there but I just wanted to chime in on your comment about Skyler. I thought she was a great character and was played with aplomb by Anna Gunn. It's all too easy to get caught up in the thrills of Breaking Bad and cheer for Walt and then hate on Skyler because she stops the fun or whatever. The criticism that was levelled at her character was ridiculously over-the-top given that her previously straight-edge husband turned into a fucking drug lord. I also thought she was particularly brilliant towards the end of the show.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:13 AM   #605
Refugee

Local Time: 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I loved the first half of season 7, but I've heard more "wait, this show is still on?" comments toward Mad Men than I ever did toward Breaking Bad.

Well, considering the majority of people didn't start watching Breaking Bad until the final 8 episodes in not surprised. Obviously it had a loyal online following since the 2nd season but didn't really break into the public consciousness until late in the run, acting Emmys aside.

While little watched, Mad Men became well known very quickly through the fashion influence. And 8 years is a long time for a niche show to be airing.

Anyway, agree with Laz on this one. Re watched S1-6 before last year and I may have enjoyed it more the 2nd time round. Been going over S7pt1 the past few weeks too.

I recall you being down on S6 previously. While the first half wasn't the best stretch of the show by any means, the 'falling into old patterns' paid off in spades by the end of the season and led directly into S7. Laz is also spot on about how his behavior was worse than ever, playing so close to home and leaving him at his lowest ebb.

Mad Men's thematic richness is ultimately superior to Breaking Bad's propulsiveness. They're really just different beasts from the same stable at the same point in time, but Mad Men is the greater accomplishment. As much as I loved Breaking Bad, I wouldn't have thought of it much lately without rewatching vicariously through my dad on FaceTime each week as he went through. And Better Call Saul, which is most enjoyable. Hell, the ending of The Shield still lingers and I finished that before Breaking Bad ended.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:14 AM   #606
Refugee

Local Time: 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I still haven't finished season one of Mad Men so nothing to add there but I just wanted to chime in on your comment about Skyler. I thought she was a great character and was played with aplomb by Anna Gunn. It's all too easy to get caught up in the thrills of Breaking Bad and cheer for Walt and then hate on Skyler because she stops the fun or whatever. The criticism that was levelled at her character was ridiculously over-the-top given that her previously straight-edge husband turned into a fucking drug lord. I also thought she was particularly brilliant towards the end of the show.

Also agree. A lot of dickheads seemed to watch BB. She totally deserved those Emmys for the last season(s).
Old 03-19-2015, 04:07 AM   #607
Blue Crack Supplier

Gunn and the character got better as the show went on (the opposite of Jesse, really). And one of the show's flaws is that they didn't consistently write well for the ensemble, only Walt. The cast of actors also pales in comparison to Mad Men's.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:24 AM   #608
A childless dog

I'm going to wait until MM finishes before I compare it as an achievement to BB. I want to see where it all goes. The last half of season 5 of BB was some of the most riveting television I've ever seen and the show's legacy wouldn't be the same without classics like Ozymandias.

I swear, if Don jumps out the window in the finale, I'm not having this argument again. Breaking Bad wins forever.

Now.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #609
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I swear, if Don jumps out the window in the finale, I'm not having this argument again. Breaking Bad wins forever.
I give Weiner credit for being a little less obvious than that.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:32 AM   #610
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:11 PM
Nobody's jumping out of the goddamn window. Nobody.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:34 AM   #611
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:11 PM
Anyhow, chiming in on what I missed above, I definitely agree that this is a show that repays rewatching. I've gone through about three times (in each case, shortly before a new season rolled in) and I'm nowhere near the bottom of the well. This despite knowing exactly what 'happens'.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:53 AM   #612
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:11 AM
I'm pretty sure I've read an interview with Weiner where he was asked if Don is going to jump out of the window in the finale.

As expected, he was dismissive of the idea.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:01 AM   #613
A childless dog

It's astounding how many fans still believe it's going to happen.

Now.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #614
45:33

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Ohhh because of the title scenes
Old 03-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #615
Blue Crack Distributor

It's gonna happen.