Random TV Talk III - Do the Russell Coight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of Bob Odenkirk's acting tics remind me of kid performances in my elementary school.

Which is one of the reasons why I'm not planning to watch Better Call Saul for the time being.

7 Days In Hell on HBO was pretty fucking funny. It features an unforgettable turn by Michael Sheen, who's quickly becoming one of my favorite actors.

So, first half of season 3 of Hannibal...

Starts off amazing with the first two episodes, despite some developments in plot that really bring that cleverly coined term "suspension of disbelief" to a whole new level. The second episode is rightfully lauded as being an impressive 40-minute hallucinatory trip. The Italy section brings a fresh visual pallette to a show that was made to convey and photograph such landscapes.

Then things started to go a bit all over the place. Chiyoh is by far and away the least interesting and the most nonsensical when it comes to motivations, serving only as a glorified plot device. By making Alana Bloom at least slightly more interesting, Fuller had to bring some aspects that were non-existent in the first two seasons, making them inevitably contradictory or at least problematic in nature.

Plot conveniences be damned, that was a great if unexpected finish to the arc. Mikkelsen did some of his best work in Digestivo. Joe Anderson proved to be a terrific replacement for Michael Pitt, even though his voice reminded me a bit too much of Gary Oldman's performance.

It wasn't as smooth as season 2, but dared to take more risks and was even more atmospheric, moody and surreal. Can't wait to see what they've come up with Red Dragon. In a way, it's Fuller's biggest challenge yet, combining the character development of the two main characters with a story that has been told two times already and that needs to have a fresh, original take.

Maybe Larry David could launch a new show called The Larry David Show in which he plays himself as a scriptwriter for a popular 1990s sitcom, and the hijinks and hilarity that ensue interacting with the problem cast.

"How would you like it, if I were to just rip your heart right out of your chest, and shove it down your throat?"

I started watching Hannibal and Rectify. I love these shows already. Hannibal really seems to be a cut above in terms of cast, writing and production values. It's so slick. Rectify I find extremely stirring. The second episode reminded me of Mad Men in the way that it brought the theme of the episode (in this case, sex) to life by threading multiple story arcs together.

Finished watching the Sopranos. The last season was terrible. Last episode wasn't nearly as deserving as the rash of shit the ending got. Maybe because I watched it with so long after it happened (and other quality shows it's heralded for pioneering), but I had a much bigger issue with how disjointed, dragging, and time-jumpy the last season was.

So HBO bought Sesame Street. They'll have new characters to deal with.

- Avon Barksdale will take over the street
- Ari Gold will curse out Big Bird for not reading scripts
- Al Swearigen will become Oscar the Grouch will his colorful vernacular

The Wet Hot American Summer series is great.

John Slattery and Jon Hamm and Harry Crane are all in it, and that should really be about enough to convince anyone. But then there are some hilarious gags in each episode and it doesn't overstay its welcome. Eight episodes at like 23 minutes a piece. It's a blast.

I liked blondie pulling the switcheroo
with her life experience we know what her agenda will be

everybody wants a sexbot, until they watch this or Ex Machina

I watched the first season of You're the Worst over the past few days (thanks, free Hulu trial!). I hadn't heard anything about it, just saw ads on FXX, but I really enjoyed it. Some honest-to-goodness laugh out loud moments.

Also started Sleepy Hollow (the only place it's streaming; it's on On Demand, but you have to pay to watch it. WTF.). Had been curious about it; fun so far.

You're The Worst is easily one of the best comedies on television, nice to see it coming back next week.

Hannibal finale had a nice ending, not sure they really did enough with Red Dragon though...they didn't do much different and Manhunter certainly did that story a lot better.

Am now binge-watching Call the Midwife. Love it!

I hear the Amazon show Catastrophe is amazing. Will start watching that as well.

Rob Delaney is one of the world's funniest human beings so I don't know why I haven't checked out Catastrophe yet. I think it's only like six episodes or something, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom