Random TV Talk III - Do the Russell Coight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Desktop--->HDMI cable--->Smart TV

I can stream anything. Doesn't always look great, but it gets the job done.

that sounds like a good system, especially for someone that does not want to spend thousands of dollars a year like I do.

but I am picky, I hate less than a good picture

I get that public MHZ channel on my cable but it is squeezed a bit with black letter boxed on the sides, they stream it live and with HMDI to my TV it is in the proper wide screen format.

That show Bloodline on Netflix wasn't too bad. Would have been really good if they had just finished it rather than setting up a second season.

Just another shout out for Penny Dreadful.
Nice to see some series with some great female leads
Eva Greene is outstanding. Patti Lupone guest staring is a real treat.

That's a pretty funny joke, actually.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any talk about him? I caught his final show last night and thought it was great. I've never been a big fan of these comedic American talk show hosts, mostly because I think the monologues go on way too long and the hosts get elongated laughter and applause for jokes that don't deserve and are told in a such a forced, deadpan way. But, there's no doubting he's been a giant and it seems like he's one of the few people struggled to say bad things about, unlike Leno or something.

The top ten list (particularly Tina Fey, Chris Rock and JLD) was awesome and that old Taco Bell skit was very funny.

Yessssssssss

Rn_dLzl4R-z5iPu2Zwc01c8ZfFe-vu187-1uGxhAJc_76oYFW4uIChETV-HMC2_qgRDGcME6VVd0VGhBnE0quGjz5oo11f8Jn_YsFtH8VvmKg0l3fmdC3qg=s0-d-e1-ft

Has anyone checked out Sense8 yet? Reviews were pretty mixed but most seemed to only have previewed the first handful of episodes.

Really picked up as it went along, and was pretty damned impressive in terms of juggling the plotlines and the mental interactions of the characters.

Well worth committing to.

I haven't, but plan to eventually. I had read/heard that the first 4 episodes were a mess, but, glad to hear it picks up.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell tomorrow!! Have not and will not read any reviews but it's at a 67 on Metatcritic and I know that Greenwald liked it, not that it much matters but still.

Plus, Season 3 of OITNB is now streaming.

It's really...dumb. It's just, yeah, it's dumb. Lots of out of character writing and implausible scenarios. The newspaper scenes are a non-starter thus far. Season 2, a much-maligned season, started slow and had some annoying side roads, but it was overall very well written and had a great ending. Not so sure about 5 so far.

But I still enjoy watching the characters I've come to love whenever they're on screen. The Wire is amazing.

Last edited:
If you can't see that the relative sensationalism is tied up with the season's themes about the world of print journalism, I don't know what to tell you. Simon had to go that far to make his point, and I still think it's all within the realm of believability.

Also, that season is just so damned fun.

Season 5 is a grower just like 2.

There is one character whose decision I'm still struggling with - and it's done in a... sensationalistic way from a storytelling point of view that still pisses me off.

I'm talking about Lester and "the twist" at the end of the episode where he actually joins McNulty in the serial killer plot.

But Dominic West does what may be his best work on the show and there are some fantastic moments all throughout. The season, like of all them, improves immensely, but the fundamental problems do not go away, which is why it is ultimately my least favourite season.

I disagree that the main storyline is within the realm of believability though. But when one looks at season 5 more as a satire than as a realistic urban crime drama, it works much better. To make it less believable and more sensationalist is basically the main point of it all.

As I said, it is sensationalist. And it's certainly satirical. But McNulty doesn't do anything superhuman. It's implausible, but not impossible. And it should also be noted that this season of The Wire is the most personal for Simon, as it portrays the world he actually knew more than any other.

Obviously riding that line isn't going to work for everyone, much like how Natural Born Killers satirized a culture of violence by bathing in the deep end of the filth.

I think it was brave television no less brilliant than what came before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom