Random TV Talk III - Do the Russell Coight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve Sanders from 90210 is standing on a street, holding a chainsaw as a great white shark flies at him. He then JUMPS into its mouth, saves a chick from the shark's belly and cuts his way out. Holy fuck.

Orange is the new Black is the new Cool. Saw the first episode and it's pretty good. Interested enough to keep watching, cautiously optimistic.

Seeing as Netflix is advertising "from the creators of weeds," I think I will avoid it. Weeds was terrible.

Never saw Weeds, but I'm almost done with the season and it's been a solid.....B, maybe. Pretty steady stuff, and they've put together a sublime few moments. A few flat moments as well, but those have never dominated any episodes. (Everything about the prisoner/guard affair. Ugh.)

Taylor Schilling is awesome, Captain Janeway is the cook, and Lauren Lapkus is like, uh, a vegan shark. Hilariously unable to muster the intensity of the other guards. She was probably either going to be a barista at Starbucks or join the DOC.

I just discovered that Amazon Instant has seasons 1-3 of Justified.

See you guys on the other side.

Man, report back, please. That show is not at golden age TV levels, but is still consistently entertaining and of course Olyphant is perfect. Seasons 2 and 3 are excellent. 4 will likely appear online as 5 is ready to start.

Enjoy!

Man, report back, please. That show is not at golden age TV levels, but is still consistently entertaining and of course Olyphant is perfect. Seasons 2 and 3 are excellent. 4 will likely appear online as 5 is ready to start.

Enjoy!

I assumed it was an HBO series at first so I didn't even bother looking. It seems right up my alley, and it'll give me something to bond over with my dad. :happy: Justified and Breaking Bad are his #1 and #2 favorites right now.

At that price, you can buy an extra copy to give to Daniel Lanois.

I have now one of those cases - which are relatively rare as far as I am concerned - where I'm genuinely baffled by the critical reception and praise a certain show got. I've been watching the first season of Six Feet Under this week and after five episodes I'm more than willing to call it quits. The characters are unlikeable in the worst way possible (annoying and not compelling), the dialogue is just unbearably corny, a lot of it goes too far on melodrama and is emotionally manipulative - in my most humble opinion.

Last night after hearing dialogue like "Thanks for buying me breakfast." "Thanks for finding my G-spot this morning.", I switched it off.

So, for you who have seen it, does it get better? Does it get clearer and do characters get more understandable in context? I have seen many shows that I wasn't a big fan of at first, but have grown to like them very much. I'm a big fan of most critically acclaimed TV dramas in the past ten years - The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, Breaking Bad, The Shield etc. I know the show has a big reputation for its series finale as well, and I am intrigued by some of the themes, but the execution so far is the antithesis of what I usually like about television.

I didn't even make it past the first episode of that one.

Is anyone else watching Broadchurch? I like it so far.

I have now one of those cases - which are relatively rare as far as I am concerned - where I'm genuinely baffled by the critical reception and praise a certain show got. I've been watching the first season of Six Feet Under this week and after five episodes I'm more than willing to call it quits. The characters are unlikeable in the worst way possible (annoying and not compelling), the dialogue is just unbearably corny, a lot of it goes too far on melodrama and is emotionally manipulative - in my most humble opinion.

Last night after hearing dialogue like "Thanks for buying me breakfast." "Thanks for finding my G-spot this morning.", I switched it off.

So, for you who have seen it, does it get better? Does it get clearer and do characters get more understandable in context? I have seen many shows that I wasn't a big fan of at first, but have grown to like them very much. I'm a big fan of most critically acclaimed TV dramas in the past ten years - The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, Breaking Bad, The Shield etc. I know the show has a big reputation for its series finale as well, and I am intrigued by some of the themes, but the execution so far is the antithesis of what I usually like about television.

It gets better, but you're not wrong about the over-reaction in terms of critical praise. It was a good but far from great series, IMO. And I thought the series finale was good but once again, over-rated.

I think it was the HBO effect. This was pre Mad Men and Breaking Bad where nothing else on cable was any good outside of HBO (and possibly Showtime, I can't really recall?) I think I ranted about it here one time - when one of my shows was snubbed by the GG's or Emmy's. There was a time when everything they crapped out was getting great reviews. Big Love was another HBO show that received far too much praise. And of course the abominable Sex and the City. I am "genuinely baffled by the critical reception and praise a certain show got" all the time. Dexter was nominated for 4 Emmys. I mean, from what I've seen of that series, that is just ludicrous. Also there was a lot of True Blood love early in that show's run. A pile of crap, IMO.

But not the shows you mentioned. Although I never watched The Shield but was told numerous times that I should.

Only three episodes left to my Sopranos rewatch. I really do think it's one of my favorite endings to any work of fiction ever. Maybe even tops. Where the fuck are you now, NSW?

Only three episodes left to my Sopranos rewatch. I really do think it's one of my favorite endings to any work of fiction ever. Maybe even tops. Where the fuck are you now, NSW?

Along with Twin Peaks (but that's more the series finale than the ending itself), it is my favourite TV ending so far.

But I really hope Breaking Bad will live up to huge expectations. In Vince Gilligan I trust. He has all the cards to make it right.

Friday Night Lights has as close to a perfect finale that I've seen.

Breaking Bad is such a wholly complete series and methodical in its storytelling -- even when it's flying by the seat of its pants in Season 3 -- that I have a tough time believing that it'll stick the landing.

Netflix got around to putting up season 6 of burn notice, and while the show was 1) hardly amazing from the start and 2) declined rapidly in quality over the last couple seasons, I'm still watching it. Despite Bruce Campbell's character being the epitome of plot-induced stupidity, with extra bad delivery on the crappy dialog written for him, I'm still quite fond of the characters and would like to see it through to the end (saw something a little while ago about season 7 being the last).

Orange is the new Black is the new Cool. Saw the first episode and it's pretty good. Interested enough to keep watching, cautiously optimistic.

Completely binged watched this over the weekend, I'm about 2/3 through. It's great. For those put off by "from the creator of 'Weeds'" I say give it a chance. It (mostly) manages to avoid that show's penchant for cutesiness and fleshes out the characters to make them more caricatures.

TBH, I'll ride for 'Weeds' through season 3, after that it went off the rails. Hopefully this show doesn't overstay it's welcome. It's already getting a second season, but I'm hoping they wrap up the main character's arc there. The fact that she has a 15 month prison sentence should (?) put a finite limit on the how long the show runs.

I'm very partial to the Boardwalk Empire opening titles.

In fact most of the 'big' shows of the last decade (big: great) have very memorable opening sequences. Except Breaking Bad's which, while... on topic... comes off as pretty ho-hum to me. But I don't really care, it does all it needs to do.

After hearing nothing but good things about Orange Is The New Black, I'm about to sit back and watch the pilot episode.

I see it's created and run by the same woman behind Weeds, which is a show I enjoyed for a few seasons and then completely forgot about the moment I quit watching.

Guys...I think we need to talk about something. It's going to be difficult, but I think it needs to be done:

WTF is going on with The Michael J. Fox show? I just watched the long trailer for it to finally see just what the premise of it was, beyond Michael J. Fox - The Man with Parkinson's. By the time the trailer was over, I'd laughed out loud and hard twice, but I felt horrible about it. I mean, he's the one making the jokes, so laughing should be OK? Right? I mean, he's cool with it, but...

The simple fact of the matter is: How can this show fail? Who is going to be the critic to have the audacity to pan Michael J. Fox the show?

Your Thoughts?

Under The Dome ended its first season last night. I felt the season was a hit or miss during its first half, but it got more interesting during the last half.

It's intriguing, and some of the characters stir a lot of anger and almost hatred in me, so something is being done right. I'm just wondering what sort of a message Stephen King is trying to say here, plus I'd love to see the two psychopaths (Big Jim and Junior) be destroyed.

So while its nothing stellar, it is entertaining. I'll be tuning in again next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom