Random TV Talk III - Do the Russell Coight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cooks10n-1-web.jpg

Last night, as I laid on the couch trying to sleep after taking MDMA, I caught an episode of Star Trek and actually quite enjoyed it. There was a black man with a fucked up face, a lame white man skin whiter than paper, Patrick Stewart, and three dead humans who came back to life when touched on the neck with a little device. One was a woman who was trying to find her 400-year old son, another was a Southener who was satisfied when he found this thing that made him cocktails after speaking into the intercom, and another one who was on a power trip. At the end of the episode they sped away really fast.

True, but none as hilarious as the dead body one.

It took me like 4 or 5 tries to watch the first episode, since it took at least 15 minutes for it to get a laugh out of me. The opposite, I found it really lame, obvious, and disappointing until about 16 min or so in. Then it clicked with me, and I came around. But honestly, had I not been told over so many years how funny it was or didn't put John Cleese on a pedestal above almost all other comedy to ever exist (because I've loved Monty Python since I was 8 or
9 years old, and to this day nothing else makes me laugh quite as much), I would never have given it that many chances.

I don't know why I didn't just start with a different episode. I'm OCD that way about starting at the beginning.

After binge watching Parks and Rec seasons 3 through 6 I decided to check out season 1. (I know, I went out of order) and yeah, season 1 was kind of blah and I'm glad they retooled aspects of the show.. Like Leslie's character.

My local PBS station started showing reruns of Doc Martin this summer, which I had never seen before. So far most of the episodes have been really good, with a few duds. It's like a cross between House and All Creatures Great and Small, if you can imagine that. Last time I checked, Netflix only has season five available for some reason, so there's no way to catch up if I miss an episode.

Everything I watch is British. Oh well.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I watched both seasons of Black Mirror today.

Holy shit.

"The National Anthem" and "White Bear" were the standouts, although there was something to love/admire/be creeped out by in all of them.

I watched National Anthem and the second episode, Fifteen Million Merits. National Anthem was better. I'll check out White Bear next, since each is a stand alone no need to watch in order or even all of them.

I'd say they're all worth watching, although the final episode of season 2 was probably the weakest of all of them.

http://www.avclub.com/article/fox-officially-considering-x-files-rebootsequelwha-214003

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand The X-Files was one of my favourite shows and I would certainly tune in if it was brought back. But this show ran its course well before they wrapped it up, and those final few seasons were a mess. I don't know if they can redeem it now. I mean I guess they can always make more quality monster-of-the-week episodes, but they fucked up the main mythology arc so badly by the end of the 9th season, I'm afraid it just can't be salvaged now. Although this could be why they might be considering a reboot instead of a continuation. Actually, a quasi-reboot post season 5 might be the best way to go with this...

I know this is super important to you all, so I wanted to make sure you were the first to know:

I always forget about how much I love Frasier. I never actively watched it when it was on, and even now, I just watch the reruns when I can't find anything else to watch. But much like the day I realized that just because I only watch A Christmas Story at Christmas-time doesn't mean it can't be among my favorite films, over the weekends it finally clicked with me that Frasier may be my favorite television series. Or at least sitcom (and since my favorite television series, currently, is a sitcom, I guess that puts it as my new #1 by default).

I know the show's not high art or anything, but I absolutely love the timing, the wit, the storylines and the fact that they had a will they/won't they subplot that went on for 7 seasons and never really got on my nerves.

Sorry Get Smart...missed it by that much.

Fox is officially considering an X-Files revival of some sort · Newswire · The A.V. Club

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand The X-Files was one of my favourite shows and I would certainly tune in if it was brought back. But this show ran its course well before they wrapped it up, and those final few seasons were a mess. I don't know if they can redeem it now. I mean I guess they can always make more quality monster-of-the-week episodes, but they fucked up the main mythology arc so badly by the end of the 9th season, I'm afraid it just can't be salvaged now. Although this could be why they might be considering a reboot instead of a continuation. Actually, a quasi-reboot post season 5 might be the best way to go with this...

Abrams, Orci and Kurtzman already rebooted The X-Files, to mixed results.

Continuation? Sure. Sounds interesting. Reboot? No way am I up for that. I'd say the same about LOST or other similar shows. Those that still love these shows, those that would be amped for 'new story', are not interested in having the shit they love to be 'overwritten' by unimaginative assclowns.

Chris Carter hasn't written a good script since Milagro in season 6. Come to think of it, him and Spotnitz haven't written a good script together since season 5. That was in 1998.

This is very likely not a good idea. And since they did such a horrible job with the show in its final three seasons, I really don't think they'll ever elevate the material to the quality of those great early seasons.

If they brought back Vince Gilligan, Darin Morgan, Glen Morgan and James Wong, writers who did the most consistent (and arguably the greatest) work on the show... this might even work, despite all the evidence to the contrary. But the mythology has become such a travesty it would be a miracle to make it work again, like it did before season 6.

Nah, better leave it buried.

I know this is super important to you all, so I wanted to make sure you were the first to know:

I always forget about how much I love Frasier. I never actively watched it when it was on, and even now, I just watch the reruns when I can't find anything else to watch. But much like the day I realized that just because I only watch A Christmas Story at Christmas-time doesn't mean it can't be among my favorite films, over the weekends it finally clicked with me that Frasier may be my favorite television series. Or at least sitcom (and since my favorite television series, currently, is a sitcom, I guess that puts it as my new #1 by default).

I know the show's not high art or anything, but I absolutely love the timing, the wit, the storylines and the fact that they had a will they/won't they subplot that went on for 7 seasons and never really got on my nerves.

Sorry Get Smart...missed it by that much.
I enjoyed Frasier, though it probably went on a season or 2 too long. Thought the casting of David Hyde Pierce as Niles was spot on, you could really believe they were brothers.

Not as good as the show it spun off from (which also ran a couple seasons too long), but a very funny show.

I enjoyed Frasier, though it probably went on a season or 2 too long. Thought the casting of David Hyde Pierce as Niles was spot on, you could really believe they were brothers.

Not as good as the show it spun off from (which also ran a couple seasons too long), but a very funny show.

Yeah, you may be right about that. I think I may finally sit down and watch it straight through. When Netflix first got it, I nearly watched the entire first season in a day. I had the weirdest crush on David Hyde Pierce as a kid. That may be why the show stuck with me for so long.

Unlike Cheers, which I hated as a kid. It was that boring show that was always on, and I could never get into it. Even as an adult, now, I still have such negative associations with it from childhood that I rarely, if ever, leave it on. Which is silly, because I always hear about how good it is. I end up watching it and then thing, Jeez, I miss Niles, I want to watch Frasier half the time, as well. You've inspired me. Perhaps I'll go home and instead watch some Cheers.

Holy shit, I just finished watching The Slap. So far, almost the entire cast is unlikable except for the guy who slaps the kid. The kid's parents are ridiculous. They pretty much let him do whatever he wants. The kid's like 4 years old and his mother is still breastfeeding him. The best moment of the show is when the kid gets slapped. I'll probably watch the next episode just to see how it develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom