Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favorite movie is Capra's It's A Wonderful Life and my second favorite movie is probably Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Anton Yelchin (Star Trek, Terminator Salvation) dead at 27 in freak accident. Left car in neutral and rolled down his driveway crushing him into his mailbox.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Anton Yelchin (Star Trek, Terminator Salvation) dead at 27 in freak accident. Left car in neutral and rolled down his driveway crushing him into his mailbox.

A damn shame. I loved the guy. He was awesome in Alpha Dog. Plenty of other films of his that I liked too. :sad:

So this happened today. For my birthday asked Mom for a double feature of Independence Day: Resurgence and Free State of Jones.

Be forewarned. ID4 2.0 may ruin your faith in Hollywood altogether. It's like Crystal Skull on crack. I went into it read a Variety review calling it wildly entertaining. Good enough for me as a destruction junkie.

Big, Casting, script, tone, pacing, score missteps. And yet for every five minutes of utter garbage, are some neat scenes and nuggets.

This movie makes 2012 look like Citizen Kane.

PS: 'Free State of Jones' was very good. Matthew McConaughey excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Wife and I are very slowly working our way through the Miyazaki blu ray set and assorted other Ghiblis. Last up was Pom Poko, not their best but one that she grew up with.

I'm honestly not sure how to rate it. For every batshit crazy moment (usually involving balls), there's some very on the nose Eco-soap boxing. It's an important message but one that they would normally deliver with more subtlety, although I guess this is not a subtle film. About a half hour too long as well.

Not up is Princess Mononoke. We're working our way through chronologically for the ones we have (which will never include Grave of the Fireflies) and the blu ray quality is absolutely superb. Highly recommend them to any of the fans around here.

I'd never even heard of it. It was very long (on TV, so ads added to the two-hour run time) but I ended up staying up til midnight I was loving it that much. Robin Williams is terrific in it, as is most of the rest of the cast. :up:

Also got my local TV station a good one

[TWEET]757912413932879872[/TWEET]

I watched it shortly after Robin Williams' passing. Very funny stuff, great performance by Robin and the always-underrated Nathan Lane.

I love Pom Poko and The Birdcage very, very much. Both favorites of mine by their respective directors.

Sent from my SM-G935T using U2 Interference mobile app

I don't know where the reviews thread went, but oh my God, Suicide Squad is SO so bad.

Margot Robbie and Will Smith are the only actors in there with any pulse and the material they get is embarrassing. A cheap looking, derivative, soulless film with no comedic timing or camp to sell the awfulness.

It also contains every overused rock song of the 20th century. Brace yourself for some Fortunate Son, Sympathy for the Devil and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

I don't know where the reviews thread went, but oh my God, Suicide Squad is SO so bad.

That saddens me to read.
Was so looking forward to it being good.
I think from what I read they cut a lot to get a PG-13 and probably destroyed the film in the process.

I don't know if it was even that, though. The movie had *no* comedic timing at all. Every joke fell flat, like it was just a few seconds off of being hilarious. The opening montage was absurd because of the music cues. Multiple characters never received introductions, and were subsequently poorly scripted for the rest of the film. One character had such a ridiculous accent he was basically impossible to understand. Though apparently that's his real accent? The whole story was painfully formulaic for something that was supposed to be the alternate to the norm. And a lot of characters were painfully one-dimensional, but that's DC for you.

The worst thing was the way they wrote for Deadshot, though. Unless he's honest to God like that in the comic books, his character's motivation for most things made zero sense. And the entire Joker/Harley thing completely threw me off. I thought the whole big thing about how tragic her character is is that she gave up everything for a guy that *doesn't* love her back....

Anyways, someone on my Facebook just commented something to the tune of that the movie is good because her husband is a comic book nerd, so apparently I have no idea what I'm talking about, as far as my enjoyment level of the film, because I'm not familiar with the comics :grumpy:.

Back
Top Bottom