Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday. I thought Rami Malek was fantastic as Freddie. The actor who plays Brian May, Gwilym Lee, literally has one expression in the entire movie (as seen in the photo). Plus with the wig he looked exactly like Howard Stern in Private Parts.

It made me want to take out my Live Aid anniversary set and watch Queen again. Maybe one day, can't remember the last time I ever watched a DVD. I think It was when I bought the Mad Men set.

. 2-brian-may-g-lee-1540814280.jpg

Saw SINGIN IN THE RAIN for the first time the other day. God, how hot is Debbie Reynolds? Let's go.

Last edited:
Watched the original MARY POPPINS in preparation for the sequel and holy shit...Julie Andrews is a fox. In France they would call her Le Renard.

I just saw the original for the first time this year; some of my friends think I’m insane for not having seen it before and I really don’t have an explanation. I grew up watching many of Disney’s animated classics but not many of the live action ones. Aside from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and the Witch Mountain films.

I watched so many of those live action Disney movies as a kid and I remember almost nothing about any of them. Every once in a while I think about the kid in Bedknobs and Broomsticks who was carrying around the goddamn bedknob from Anglea Lansbury’s house around in his pocket, but that’s about it.

Still haven’t seen the new Mary Poppins yet. I’ll get around to it sooner than later, like I mentioned in random music, I’m generally a pretty big fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda.

Just watched Spike Lee's Malcolm X. For a movie that's 3 and a half hours long it didn't feel like it. Thought it was very powerful and I was happy to learn more about the man's life. I didn't know anything really about his life before converting to Islam so that section was fascinating. And I also wasn't totally prepared for the violence of the assassination scene. I suppose I never realized how public the assassination was and just how many times he was shot. So horrible. Damn good movie, though. And I loved the soundtrack.

One of the best films of the 90s, IMO. And Spike Lee's best, retains the energy of Do The Right Thing but on a much larger canvas.

I can't say BlacKkKlansman is up on that level, but it still packs a major punch and has a lot of bravura moments that are pure Spike. Far worse films have won Oscars. I'll be pulling for him.

Not a huge fan of any of the best picture noms apart from Roma maybe but I'd go
1. Roma
2. A Star is Born
3. Blackkklansman
4. Black Panther
5. Bohemian Rhapsody
6. The Favourite
7. Vice

(haven't seen Green Book yet, it comes out here tomorrow)

These Oscar noms in general are my least favorite in recent memory. I could rant about it for probably at least an hour.

Don't get me started. I can't speak from experience on Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book, but from everything I've seen and read they look atrocious. Only one person I've talked to liked Vice, the rest thought it was terrible.

And Black Panther has no business in a Best Picture lineup. The fact that it didn't get a nomination for writing, acting, or directing tells you it's there for its cultural significance more than its quality.

If Beale Street Could Talk really belongs on that list, a gorgeous film that I thought had enough passionate supporters to make the cut. Shameful omission in directing, production design and cinematography as well, and Brian Tyree Henry was easily one of the year's best supporting performances.

It's a very safe list. There's a bunch from 2018 I'd watch again ahead of any of these. To name a few

A Fantastic Woman
Burning
Capernaum
Custody
Leave No Trace
Minding the Gap
Mirai
Puzzle
Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda
Searching
Shoplifters
Skate Kitchen
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
The Miseducation of Cameron Post
The Wild Pear Tree
Unsane
Widows

Lot of great stuff there.

Here's my list:

1. On Body and Soul (Ildikó Enyedi) Hungary
2. First Reformed (Paul Schrader) USA
3. Ismael’s Ghosts (Arnaud Desplechin) France
4. The Other Side of the Wind (Orson Welles) USA
5. Cold War (Pawel Pawlikowski) Poland
6. Happy as Lazzaro (Alice Rohrwacher) Italy
7. Shoplifters (Hirozaku Kore-ada) Japan
8. If Beale Street Could Talk (Barry Jenkins) USA
9. Madeline’s Madeline (Josephine Decker) USA
10. The Favourite (Yorgos Lanthimos) UK

11. Burning (Lee Chang-dong) South Korea
12. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Joel & Ethan Coen) USA
13. BlacKkKlansman (Spike Lee) USA
14. Bright Sunshine In (Clare Denis) France
15. Zama (Lucrecia Martel) Argentina
16. Wildlife (Paul Dano) USA
17. The Wild Boys (Bertrand Mandico) France
18. Skate Kitchen (Crystal Moselle) USA
19. Tully (Jason Reitman) USA
20. Flower (Max Winkler) USA

On Body and Soul was something I saw last year, but it was high on my 2017 list, certainly top 10. It's unfortunate how many people I know connect very personally with that lead character, but I'm glad they could illustrate their detachment through media in that way.

The more films I see from 2018, the crappier the best picture nominees look.

If Japan was on the ball there would've been an anime adaptation of On Body and Soul as soon as it came out.

Last edited:
On Body and Soul was something I saw last year, but it was high on my 2017 list, certainly top 10. It's unfortunate how many people I know connect very personally with that lead character, but I'm glad they could illustrate their detachment through media in that way.

I caught it in 2017 as well at AFI Fest, but it didn't hit Netflix until 2018, so I considered it a release for last year. Where did you see it early?

I caught it in 2017 as well at AFI Fest, but it didn't hit Netflix until 2018, so I considered it a release for last year. Where did you see it early?
Ah, you may be right. I saw it in February 2018. If I see something before the Oscars and it's nominated that year, I tend to include it alongside everything else from the previous year.

If it's not nominated and there was no US release until the following year, I tend to push it forward. The Death of Stalin will be on my 2018 list.

And to add to that, at least A Fantastic Woman won an Oscar last year.

There's a lot I don't like about this Oscars and a lot of omissions, but I just can't get over Toni Collette's snub.

Melissa McCarthy is an enigma, to me.

In her comedic roles, I feel like she's over acting, but in dramas, or dramatic comedies, I think she's really understated and great.

Also, I've been watching a lot of TV lately, and this is now the third time I've seen the guy who plays her lawyer in Can You Ever Forgive Me in something as a lawyer/judge. I don't know if I've ever seen him do anything else.

Hard agree on that one. She's also beautiful in Visconti's The Leopard but I like her more a little weathered as she is in OUATITW.

Her musical cue is one of my favorites of all Morricone's work. I get chills when I think of that crane shot over the train station as she enters the town for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom