Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Woody Allen is a terrible person.

I posted a "Movies I still want to see from 2017" list in here at the start of December and I've only seen two of the movies on the list. I'm slacking.

I did watch the 2016 documentary I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO the other day. Beautiful. I need to read more James Baldwin immediately.

James Baldwin :up:

I watched Loving this week - I was expecting more about the legal battle itself instead of a quiet movie about their life, but it was very good. Ruth Negga got most of the attention, but damn, Joel Edgerton was fantastic.

I need to read more James Baldwin immediately.

player_baldwin.jpg

I looked at the nominated songs and thought maaaaaaybe it was in reference to a Diane Warren song with a title containing the words "Stand Up."

Get Out of Bradley Whitford's house
Ahhh ahhh ahh ahh ahhh
Get Out of Bradley Whitford's house
Ahhh ahhh ahh ahh ahhh

I saw Three Billboards today. That's my pick for best picture. Granted I've only seen Lady Bird and The Post out of all the noms. I loved Lady Bird too.

Frances McDormand better win best actress, and Sam Rockwell best supporting.

What a compelling movie, I loved it. Brilliant ending.

I agree. Phantom Thread is incredible.

The Shape of Water, however, is juvenile trash. I cannot believe it's getting these accolades, even in a generally weak year for cinema.

Shape of Water is top 5 for me this year [emoji38] we rarely disagree that sharply on anything.

Furthermore, this has hardly been a weak year for cinema. Big step over 2015 and 2016 IMO. 2014 was the last year with anything I would consider an all time favorite.

I just find it hard to think of a redeeming quality for that movie. The characters are empty caricatures for the most part, the plot is half-baked and is basically a collection of Hollywood cliches, the direction is unimaginative at best and the performances are mostly forced. I was about to laugh out loud during the musical interlude towards the end. I don’t know what to say, I just simply hated the whole thing. If that’s what qualifies for an empathetic view of the “other” these days, I’d rather just watch The New World.

I suppose there is some stuff I really liked from this year: Ladybird, Ex Libris, Get Out, Phantom Thread. You could add Personal Shopper or Graduation, though I saw those back in 2015 . It just doesn’t come close to 2016, when Moonlight, Toni Erdmann, Silence, The Handmaiden and even Manchester by the Sea were truly special, and you still had a number of excellent smaller movies like Arrival, Patterson, Elle and Nocturnal Animals, for example.

Last edited:
Call Me By Your Name is beautiful and right and true.

Remind me to spend more summers in Italy with Armie Hammer.

And not to eat uninspected peaches.

^ Thought it was great. The Black Panther's sister Shuri really steals the movie. She rules. And I loved the overt James Bond influences and the one-on-one combat sequences.

Call Me By Your Name is beautiful and right and true.

Remind me to spend more summers in Italy with Armie Hammer.

And not to eat uninspected peaches.
Seriously, I need to visit northern Italy as soon as possible. What a stunning location. God, it looked like the perfect place to live.

And the movie was beautiful, too. Elio's father's big speech at the end felt like absolute wisdom. Simultaneously heartbreaking and empowering.

Rounders with Matt Damon has returned to Starz! :wink: Is it the greatest the movie ever? No. But every time I happen to catch it on premium cable, I'll leave it on. Can't believe it's 20 years old. I've probably seen it 50 times.

Ramble over.

I saw Infinity War and liked it a lot. Drax is so funny. Really, the entire movie picks up for me when the Guardians of the Galaxy cast is around. Overall, there was a lot of very cool fighting and stuff and lots of good looking people. And that ending! Helloooooo.

Back
Top Bottom