Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2017, 10:39 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:56 PM
Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

Barry Jenkins is curating a week of films that influenced him in Moonlight here. Caught a print of Happy Together tonight, and it was great to see it on a big screen. The contrast between some of the wide shots like the Iguaçu falls and the claustrophobic intimate spaces worked even better. I love how Wong manages to make the central relationship very real on the screen with the small fragments of the story. And my favorite aspect of the film is how it perfectly captures the loneliness of living abroad. The only complaint I had was the quality of the print. I don't know how a 20-year old film could look and sound so bad, but somehow it did.

I might go see Hou's Three Times tomorrow.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Oh please go see Three Times.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:24 AM   #108
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:56 PM
At least see it once.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:07 AM   #109
The Male

I really liked Manchester by the Sea. Depressing dramas about alcoholism, death and misery appeal to me in general, but I was particularly impressed by its three-dimensional characters, realistic storytelling and balance of drama and humor. I didn't expect to laugh as much as I did, that's for sure, but there was an improvisational flow to the dialogue that allowed for some very natural repartee.

Only complaints: Michelle Williams was mostly great but wildly overacts in her big, dramatic Oscar-reaching scene and the score was rather overbearing in spots. No other major flaws came to mind. Rock solid film, will likely crack my top 5.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:58 AM   #110
The Male

I'll also throw out some love for The Fits. Extremely compelling dance/boxing/slice of life film with a gripping score, skillful shot composition, some ambitious set pieces and all made for under $200,000. Directorial debut too. Give it a go, it's 72 minutes long and on Amazon Video for free if you've got Prime. I just put it on because I felt like watching another new movie tonight and was very impressed.

Now.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #111
45:33

Local Time: 11:56 AM
Forgot to mention the bunch of films I watched on the flight to Europe last month.

13 Hours - brilliant German film telling the story of Georg Elser's failure to assassinate Hitler. Gripping from start to finish, and the casting - particularly that of Elser and his lover - is absolutely spot on. Keep thinking about it.
Lady in the Van - really quirky movie that's very much in the vein of those staid British period pieces/movies/TV shows, but is far better than all those because it's not boring as shit. That's thanks to the casting of Maggie Smith and Alex Jennings and the strength of the scriptwriting.
Ride Along - fine, but not quite as fun as I hoped it'd be.
Nine Lives - an English-language French comedy that stars Christopher Walken as a cat whisperer and Kevin Spacey as a terrible father who must find redemption when he is turned into a cat. I fucking loved it. Was absolutely paned by every critic on the face of the planet, but I loved it. Great fodder for when you're exhausted but can't sleep on the plane.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Mahershala Ali was fucking robbed. And by a guy who was not even the best supporting actor in his own movie. What a ridiculous award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Oh please go see Three Times.
I did, and it was glorious. What an amazing accomplishment. Shu Qi is absolutely brilliant in it.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #113
Blue Crack Distributor

I just want to second the bit about Michelle Williams over acting. I honest to God put my hands over my mouth and quietly went, "noooooo" while they scene played out. Terrible. And she'll get nominated for it, and that's just awful. Otherwise, Manchester is probably my 3rd favorite film if the year.

I'm trying to continue to pretend that Nine Lives doesn't exist
Old 01-09-2017, 12:33 AM   #114
ONE
love, blood, life

I didn't think she was overacting. At all. That's the scene everyone is praising.

She's one of the actresses of her generation, imo.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:41 AM   #115
Blue Crack Supplier

Saw Almodóvar's latest today, Julieta.

Without a doubt one of the year's best, could wind up my #1. I nearly broke down in tears about 10 minutes in, and was on the verge for the rest of the film.

Pedro's attention to detail, from the design to the camerawork, is nearly unparalleled.

I wouldn't put it quite on the level of Volver or All About My Mother, but it's certainly up there with the best of his work.

As a film about grief, guilt, and quiet suffering, this tops Manchester By The Sea for me.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:04 AM   #116
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
I didn't think she was overacting. At all. That's the scene everyone is praising.

She's one of the actresses of her generation, imo.

I think what makes the scene feel so jarring is the contrast between Williams' sobbing earnestness and Affleck's completely checked out disaffectedness. He looks like he doesn't want to be there (a good thing, that's an awkward conversation to have) and makes her come across like a crazy person instead of a woman expressing guilt and loss. I don't know how to take the scene. It took me out of the movie.

You know what scene I loved? The one with Patrick, his mom and whatever Matthew Broderick's character's name was. So delightfully stilted. Everything she did for him felt like a pose, like it was taken out of a self-help book, which it probably was. Totally out of place in the movie and necessarily so, that wasn't the kind of environment Patrick wanted to live in.

Now.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:16 AM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I think what makes the scene feel so jarring is the contrast between Williams' sobbing earnestness and Affleck's completely checked out disaffectedness. He looks like he doesn't want to be there (a good thing, that's an awkward conversation to have) and makes her come across like a crazy person instead of a woman expressing guilt and loss. I don't know how to take the scene. It took me out of the movie.

You know what scene I loved? The one with Patrick, his mom and whatever Matthew Broderick's character's name was. So delightfully stilted. Everything she did for him felt like a pose, like it was taken out of a self-help book, which it probably was. Totally out of place in the movie and necessarily so, that wasn't the kind of environment Patrick wanted to live in.
It's interesting you would single out that scene as one you liked, because a lot of people were saying that Broderick's cameo was the one bad thing about the film, that it was awkward(in the bad way) and unnecessary. I was kind of neutral to it myself. I just thought the mother character was really underdeveloped and needed some more depth.

As for the other scene...I think the dynamic you describe is the dynamic that was intended. She's breaking down and pouring her heart out and he has had a cage around his heart for so long that he won't allow himself to show any emotion, or let anyone else's emotion in, especially about this subject matter. He's supposed to be detached and disaffected. It was uncomfortable, and it was supposed to be. I think they got exactly what they were going for.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:23 AM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I still have plenty of films to get through.

Just watched 'Hell or High Water' on my fire stick. 10/10

Plausible modern western with a Breaking Bad sense of moral justification. Great performances, and dialogue all around. Certainly oscarworthy in several categories. Jeff Bridges gets a supporting actor nod for what seems like such an effortless/perfect performance.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 01-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Saw Almodóvar's latest today, Julieta.

Without a doubt one of the year's best, could wind up my #1. I nearly broke down in tears about 10 minutes in, and was on the verge for the rest of the film.

Pedro's attention to detail, from the design to the camerawork, is nearly unparalleled.

I wouldn't put it quite on the level of Volver or All About My Mother, but it's certainly up there with the best of his work.

As a film about grief, guilt, and quiet suffering, this tops Manchester By The Sea for me.
I loved it too. I don't think it's near his best work, but even average or above average Almodovar is fantastic. The thing I often love about Almodovar is how much love and detail he gives to each of his characters, and it is certainly not different here. His work in Julieta looks almost effortlessly, but virtually every scene is carefully crafted. Emma Suárez's performance is incredible, too.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 PM   #120
45:33

Local Time: 11:56 AM
More movies I watched on the flights home

Finding Dory - lovely.

Rosalie Blum - a French drama telling the same story split into thirds, about a lonely man who stalks a woman for no apparent reason (until you find out why at the very end), she, who finds it more interesting than creepy, and her niece, who she enlists to follow the dude around. Eventually they all end up meeting each other and he starts dating the niece. The woman has quite a dark back story. I haaaated the first third, because it's told from the view of the man, and it is just insanely creepy, he follows her literally everywhere, goes through her rubbish... as it goes on the film wins you over, it is really well done, but I can't help but feel that this dude gets off pretty lightly, he was legit stalking her. Maybe French romcoms are like this...?

Adopte Un Veuf, another French flick. I didn't quite get to finish it so I will have to chase it down, but I adored it - about an old bloke whose wife has died, he lives alone, until he ends up getting twenty and thirtysomething roomates, it was really, really sweet, funny.

Absolutely Anything - considering the talent of the people involved - Simon Pegg, Robin Williams, Monty Python, Kate Beckinsdale, directed by Terry Jones - absolute fucking garbage. A story that's been done a million times before - Jim Carrey's done it like three times himself - a million times better. Awful film.