Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #316
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:20 PM
sooooo... Blade Runner 2049 is getting a lot of good reviews. I'm sort of interested now.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:43 PM   #317
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I really want to know what other people think about the film Colossal.

I loved it. A lot darker than I expected but that made it a stronger film, in my opinion. Great against type performances by Hathaway and Sudeikis.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #318
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:20 AM
The previews did not prepare me for the swing that came, but boy, what a movie. I honestly thought Sudeikis was best supporting worthy, too.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:29 AM   #319
Blue Crack Addict

I just watched Noctural Animals. I don't have a long-winded post detailing what I liked about it. I just thought it was a really good story, albeit depressing as shit. Some serious Hitchcock vibes. Really, just really well done. You know, from the opinion of a non-critic.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #320
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I just watched Noctural Animals. I don't have a long-winded post detailing what I liked about it. I just thought it was a really good story, albeit depressing as shit. Some serious Hitchcock vibes. Really, just really well done. You know, from the opinion of a non-critic.
I saw this last month. I really dug the concept. Jake G. nailed it.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:05 AM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

Blade Runner 2049 is the best Hollywood blockbuster in...I can't even think of something semi-recent that was this good. I'm still reeling from seeing it two days ago. I need to go back asap because there's so much going on it demands repeat viewings.

It's funny how many people complain about it being long. Who cares? You have somewhere else do be? Don't you want more bang for your buck? Do they get mad because a book is 400 pages instead of 300? Did they complain about the length of Harry Potter books? I'm always excited to get more movie, especially one that's so well made as this.

I'm a vocal detractor of Ridley Scott in general, and while I appreciate much of Blade Runner's influence, I don't find it particularly deep. Some see a lot of virtue in things that are only suggested, hinted at, explored on a surface level. It's often preferable to movies that overexplain things, insulting the audience. To me, 2049 explores the two major themes of Philip K. Dick's career (not just the novel BR was based on) in a far more interesting way: 1. What is human? 2. What is reality? And it does so in various ways, some of them heartbreaking.

The only element that the original was superior in was its villain; Rutger Hauer's brief appearances and his final monologue are rightfully the most memorable thing about the film. In 2049, the widely-hated Leto isn't as effective, but still has some interesting musings. Hauer's character was ruminating on his own survival, whereas Wallace and his God Complex are imagining a whole new society.

Came across two articles that I found fascinating:

The best thing about Blade Runner 2049 is what it isn’t

Blade Runner 2049 is revealed through the novel Pale Fire
Old 10-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #322
Refugee

Local Time: 12:20 AM
Just came back from watching Blade Runner 2049 and I feel heartbroken. I feel heartbroken that such a monumentally exceptional piece of cinema has been a commercial failure. It doesn't bode well for the future of this genre - big-budget, uncompromised sci-fi films.

That aside, what a staggering achievement by everyone involved with this project. Every scene was so carefully crafted. The composition and cinematography were nothing short of breathtaking. And there was as much substance as there was style in this movie. I agree with Lazarus about the length actually being a positive, given how well made this movie was. It had me gripped throughout. I never felt any part of it dragged.

The fact that the future for this sort of film looks bleak makes me cherish this even more. I guess we're not going to get an artistically uncompromised vision of Ubik anytime soon now, which is probably one of the best pure sci-fi novels ever.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #323
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 10-20-2017, 03:10 AM   #324
The Male

I absolutely loved mother!. What a skillfully crafted film, from the performances to the cinematography and set design. Probably my favorite Jennifer Lawrence performance yet, nuanced and intense. In fact, the whole cast is very solid. The story functions as a mirror for the viewer, like any good work of surrealism. I interpreted it as a commentary on the effects of fame and stifled creativity on relationships, but it's up to you. I get that not everyone is going to dig the film, but everyone should give it a chance.

Blade Runner 2049 was great too, but enough has been said about that one. It's gorgeous, more people should go see it, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youarenotimmune View Post
Ubik...is probably one of the best pure sci-fi novels ever.
Yes.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #325
Babyface

I gotta start seeing what Oscar Bait is coming up. Saw the trailer of DDL as a fashion designer. Besides The Last Jedi I'm drawing a blank on exciting movies upcoming.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:01 AM   #326
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Cate Blanchett!!
Old 11-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #327
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:20 AM
This is for you.

Edge?!
Old 11-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #328
Blue Crack Supplier

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is one of the most bizarre films I've seen in ages. It's from the director of Dogtooth and The Lobster so if you're a fan of that kind of absurdist deadpan humor you may be more partial, but this one goes to a far darker place than anything he's done before. It's going to be a very divisive film, something many will absolutely hate. Others will admire its audacity and be laughing a lot.

Very much worth seeing for which camp you fall into.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #329
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
The Killing of a Sacred Deer is one of the most bizarre films I've seen in ages. It's from the director of Dogtooth and The Lobster so if you're a fan of that kind of absurdist deadpan humor you may be more partial, but this one goes to a far darker place than anything he's done before. It's going to be a very divisive film, something many will absolutely hate. Others will admire its audacity and be laughing a lot.

Very much worth seeing for which camp you fall into.
Hmm. Interesting. I did not love nor did I hate The Lobster. I thought the allegory was nice, but did not sustain the whole film. But looking forward to seeing The Killing of a Sacred Deer.