Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes!

I saw it tonight in a packed theater and it was a big hit. Lots of laughs, lots of heart. Awesome movie.

Yeah, it’s pretty incredible. A remarkable debut by Greta Gerwig and incredible lead performance. I like the passage about love and attention - a nice little philosophical musing.

Will be tough for any movie to beat Lady Bird this year but these are on my list to see:

Call Me By Your Name
Three Billboards
The Florida Project
I, Tonya
Phantom Thread
The Shape of Water
The Star Wars movie thing

Will be tough for any movie to beat Lady Bird this year but these are on my list to see:

Call Me By Your Name
Three Billboards
The Florida Project
I, Tonya
Phantom Thread
The Shape of Water

Three Billboards kicks ass and The Florida Project is almost infuriatingly hopeless and depressing but very real and well made. I don't know how much I liked it but it's absolutely worth a try. Might depend on your mood.

Call Me By Your Name
Three Billboards
The Florida Project
I, Tonya
Phantom Thread
The Shape of Water

Those make up the bulk of my list, along with the new Linklater and Mudbound.

Haven't seen as much this year, but highlights include Moonlight, Silence, Paterson, Get Out and Baby Driver.

The Florida Project is almost infuriatingly hopeless and depressing but very real and well made. I don't know how much I liked it but it's absolutely worth a try. Might depend on your mood.

I wasn't crazy about it. Fairly well-observed with some moments of poetry but I just didn't care about these people at all, they were so awful (aside from Dafoe). If the whole place had burned down I would have shrugged. During the climactic mother-daughter scene I felt absolutely nothing.

Billboards was fantastic as well as moving IMO. Kinda bummed that Dafoe is winning all the early awards because I thought Rockwell did considerably better work. Arguably the year's best screenplay.

Lady Bird was very good but I'm not as over the moon as some people. I thought there were some deficiencies in the script in terms of not shading the main character out enough, and a couple instances of "show, don't tell" near the end. A close comparison would be last year's 20th Century Women, which I felt was richer, better drawn.

I don't really care for Pixar's work overall (haven't seen anything since the overrated Up), but decided to see Coco in support of the cultural diversity, and I was really bowled over. An absolutely beautiful film, the attention to detail was astounding. Probably the best thing I've seen from the studio next to Ratatouille.

Mudbound is something I hope draws in more viewers, the intertwining stories of a white family and a black sharecropping family on their land, during WWII. Very impressive ensemble, with career-best work from Garrett Hedlund and a new name to watch in Jason Mitchell. Director is an African-American woman, Dee Rees, and it's really something you should support. Notable cinematography as well, it looks far better than what I imagine was a small budget would suggest.

I also loved the Jane Goodall documentary, but I imagine most will wait until they can see it at home. But it was really engrossing and inspiring. She should be eligible for sainthood.

My friend wants to see The Disaster Artist, but has not seen The Room. I'm not sure if I should recommend he see The Room first or not. Recommendations for my recommendation?

Mudbound is something I hope draws in more viewers, the intertwining stories of a white family and a black sharecropping family on their land, during WWII. Very impressive ensemble, with career-best work from Garrett Hedlund and a new name to watch in Jason Mitchell. Director is an African-American woman, Dee Rees, and it's really something you should support. Notable cinematography as well, it looks far better than what I imagine was a small budget would suggest.

Thanks for this, I've seen Mudbound pop up a couple of times on my Netflix suggestions, will give it a spin.

Also had wondered about Coco, so glad you mentioned it as well.

Good Time kicks ass. It's a late night twist-and-turns movie that recalls After Hours, but with a gritty neo-noir aesthetic that's very appealing. Brilliant score from Oneohtrix Point Never too.

I'm actually with Laz on Ladybird. It's a perfectly fine, well-drawn "one of those". I actually found Landline to be a far more compelling "one-of-those" from this year in a similar tonal range.

But yeah Coco is pretty darn good too.

Like Laz, I may take 20th Century Women over Lady Bird as well. It's become a comfort film for me and I could imagine watching it any time. I need to watch more from Mike Mills.

Still love Lady Bird though.

Like Laz, I may take 20th Century Women over Lady Bird as well. It's become a comfort film for me and I could imagine watching it any time. I need to watch more from Mike Mills.

Still love Lady Bird though.

20th Century Women is so so good. I really love it. One of my favorites from last year. It also made me want to listen to Talking Heads nonstop.

20th Century Women is so so good. I really love it. One of my favorites from last year. It also made me want to listen to Talking Heads nonstop.
No kidding, I rediscovered The Big Country because of that film. Such an amazing song.

I'm with everybody on 20th Century Women. Loved it. I've loved Greta Gerwig in everything I've seen her in. She's so likable and easy to cheer for. I watched Greenberg not too long ago and I think it would have been one of my least favorite movies ever if she hadn't been in a lead role.

No kidding, I rediscovered The Big Country because of that film. Such an amazing song.

That entirely album is just incredible. I think I bought it the day after I watched the film, and The Big Country was my most played song for months afterwards. Gorgeous song. It's the most effortless that the band, and Byrne in particular, ever sounded.

Last edited:
Funny story, after 20th Century Women came out last year, I was talking with one of my good friends about it and he said "that was so weird, it was the same house as your movie" and I was like "What?" Apparently they shot in the same old house that about half of my film takes place in. I completely failed to notice. Not sure how that happened, maybe because it was set in San Francisco (the house is in Los Angeles), maybe I was just really sucked in to the story. But now I have to watch it again to see if he was right.

[youtube]aj8mN_7Apcw[/youtube]

They're sure... making decisions with this one. I'm allowing myself to be excited for one of my favorite manga getting an adaptation regardless. Rodriguez can make for a fun ride often enough.

Funny story, after 20th Century Women came out last year, I was talking with one of my good friends about it and he said "that was so weird, it was the same house as your movie" and I was like "What?" Apparently they shot in the same old house that about half of my film takes place in. I completely failed to notice. Not sure how that happened, maybe because it was set in San Francisco (the house is in Los Angeles), maybe I was just really sucked in to the story. But now I have to watch it again to see if he was right.
What is the name of your movie and how can we watch it/support it?

My friend wants to see The Disaster Artist, but has not seen The Room. I'm not sure if I should recommend he see The Room first or not. Recommendations for my recommendation?

Not sure if this has happened yet, but DEFINITELY see The Room first. The Disaster Artist is incredible but only 10% as enjoyable if you go in having not seen The Room.

I've seen disaster artist but still not managed to catch the room in full yet (but obviously have been exposed to a fair bit of it in various pop culture). I don't think it detracted from it.

i tried watching the room last weekend since i plan on seeing the disaster artist, and i couldn't make it past the first 10 minutes. it wasn't even entertainingly bad like i was expecting, it was just plain unwatchable. i'm still gonna watch the disaster artist, and if I miss a few of the jokes as a result of not having seen the room, then so be it.

i tried watching the room last weekend since i plan on seeing the disaster artist, and i couldn't make it past the first 10 minutes. it wasn't even entertainingly bad like i was expecting, it was just plain unwatchable. i'm still gonna watch the disaster artist, and if I miss a few of the jokes as a result of not having seen the room, then so be it.

Your loss. It gets incredibly funny after the first 20 minutes or so.

If there was anyone on the fence or staying away from Wonder Wheel, the new Woody Allen film due to bad reviews (as opposed to being morally opposed to the guy as many are), I just wanted to speak in its defense. It's a very divisive film due to its narrative approach and aesthetics, but some will absolutely love it. It looks like it's slipping out of theatres soon so the chance to see it on a big screen won't be around for much longer.

There's an element of the unreliable narrator, so one has the option of viewing the entire story as a figment of his imagination (or an exaggeration of "real" events). But the way it's shot and lit (by the peerless Vittorio Storaro) uses bold color changes to reflect the psychology of the characters, particularly Kate Winslet's during some fascinating monologues. The heightened melodrama seems like an intentional throwback to the classic films of Douglas Sirk, among others. Anyway, I found its conclusion to be haunting, with some really startling imagery considering the director.

I wouldn't call it as funny or entertaining as some other recent works, but from a cinematic standpoint I think it's Allen's strongest since Match Point, or even farther back.

Back
Top Bottom