Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of movies I'm loving this year, very few I'm hating.

Gotta say, though, I'm shocked by the insanely poor reception The Dark Tower is getting.

Not saying it's amazing, but... It's definitely not as bad as reviews say.

That's reassuring. I want to see Valerian very badly, but was a bit nervous about dropping the money on the full experience (I had no intentions on not seeing it in 3-D).

I caught a morning matinee at an AMC in Burbank and it was only $11.75.
Love that theater. I'll see if I can make it happen this week. I'm... Very booked up right now. It's Tuesday, though, which is $6.50 movie day at the cinemark in NoHo, so I might go see Detroit tonight.

Just saw Gravity for the first time. That is hands down the most stressful movie I have ever seen. Literally from start to finish, it's constantly stressful. Terrific film, god the sound and visual aspects of it are impressive. Just so fucking stressful haha

The previews did not prepare me for the swing that came, but boy, what a movie. I honestly thought Sudeikis was best supporting worthy, too.

I just watched Noctural Animals. I don't have a long-winded post detailing what I liked about it. I just thought it was a really good story, albeit depressing as shit. Some serious Hitchcock vibes. Really, just really well done. You know, from the opinion of a non-critic.

I just watched Noctural Animals. I don't have a long-winded post detailing what I liked about it. I just thought it was a really good story, albeit depressing as shit. Some serious Hitchcock vibes. Really, just really well done. You know, from the opinion of a non-critic.

I saw this last month. I really dug the concept. Jake G. nailed it.

Blade Runner 2049 is the best Hollywood blockbuster in...I can't even think of something semi-recent that was this good. I'm still reeling from seeing it two days ago. I need to go back asap because there's so much going on it demands repeat viewings.

It's funny how many people complain about it being long. Who cares? You have somewhere else do be? Don't you want more bang for your buck? Do they get mad because a book is 400 pages instead of 300? Did they complain about the length of Harry Potter books? I'm always excited to get more movie, especially one that's so well made as this.

I'm a vocal detractor of Ridley Scott in general, and while I appreciate much of Blade Runner's influence, I don't find it particularly deep. Some see a lot of virtue in things that are only suggested, hinted at, explored on a surface level. It's often preferable to movies that overexplain things, insulting the audience. To me, 2049 explores the two major themes of Philip K. Dick's career (not just the novel BR was based on) in a far more interesting way: 1. What is human? 2. What is reality? And it does so in various ways, some of them heartbreaking.

The only element that the original was superior in was its villain; Rutger Hauer's brief appearances and his final monologue are rightfully the most memorable thing about the film. In 2049, the widely-hated Leto isn't as effective, but still has some interesting musings. Hauer's character was ruminating on his own survival, whereas Wallace and his God Complex are imagining a whole new society.

Came across two articles that I found fascinating:

The best thing about Blade Runner 2049 is what it isn’t

Blade Runner 2049 is revealed through the novel Pale Fire

Last edited:
Just came back from watching Blade Runner 2049 and I feel heartbroken. I feel heartbroken that such a monumentally exceptional piece of cinema has been a commercial failure. It doesn't bode well for the future of this genre - big-budget, uncompromised sci-fi films.

That aside, what a staggering achievement by everyone involved with this project. Every scene was so carefully crafted. The composition and cinematography were nothing short of breathtaking. And there was as much substance as there was style in this movie. I agree with Lazarus about the length actually being a positive, given how well made this movie was. It had me gripped throughout. I never felt any part of it dragged.

The fact that the future for this sort of film looks bleak makes me cherish this even more. I guess we're not going to get an artistically uncompromised vision of Ubik anytime soon now, which is probably one of the best pure sci-fi novels ever.

I absolutely loved mother!. What a skillfully crafted film, from the performances to the cinematography and set design. Probably my favorite Jennifer Lawrence performance yet, nuanced and intense. In fact, the whole cast is very solid. The story functions as a mirror for the viewer, like any good work of surrealism. I interpreted it as a commentary on the effects of fame and stifled creativity on relationships, but it's up to you. I get that not everyone is going to dig the film, but everyone should give it a chance.

Blade Runner 2049 was great too, but enough has been said about that one. It's gorgeous, more people should go see it, etc.

Ubik...is probably one of the best pure sci-fi novels ever.

Yes.

Last edited:
I gotta start seeing what Oscar Bait is coming up. Saw the trailer of DDL as a fashion designer. Besides The Last Jedi I'm drawing a blank on exciting movies upcoming.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is one of the most bizarre films I've seen in ages. It's from the director of Dogtooth and The Lobster so if you're a fan of that kind of absurdist deadpan humor you may be more partial, but this one goes to a far darker place than anything he's done before. It's going to be a very divisive film, something many will absolutely hate. Others will admire its audacity and be laughing a lot.

Very much worth seeing for which camp you fall into.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is one of the most bizarre films I've seen in ages. It's from the director of Dogtooth and The Lobster so if you're a fan of that kind of absurdist deadpan humor you may be more partial, but this one goes to a far darker place than anything he's done before. It's going to be a very divisive film, something many will absolutely hate. Others will admire its audacity and be laughing a lot.

Very much worth seeing for which camp you fall into.

Hmm. Interesting. I did not love nor did I hate The Lobster. I thought the allegory was nice, but did not sustain the whole film. But looking forward to seeing The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

So last night I saw The Disaster Artist, which is based on the book of the same name, which was written by Greg Sestero, star of The Room, the 'greatest worst film ever made'. I'm not sure who here has seen it, or how liked it is... I know Laz refuses to watch it (what a surprise :rolleyes:) on the basis of it being an insult to his beloved art form. But he is missing out, because it is hands-down one of the most watchable and enjoyable movies I've ever seen. It is absolutely atrocious in every respect, which is what makes it so so good.

Anyway, it was preceded by a Q&A with Sestero, which was fucking hilarious, all the stories he told of Tommy's quirks and how the movie came about and so on. Got to ask him a question which was cool. Some super nerd asked about some doco and he shut it down immediately.

The Disaster Artist is actually incredible. I don't know how enjoyable it would if you've not seen The Room, but if you have, even if you've just seen it the once... my god. I was laughing hard from literally start to finish. James Franco is absolutely amazing as Tommy Wiseau, and the cast is star-studded, Zac Efron plays the drug dealer, Alison Brie made me weep because she's the fucking hottest woman on the planet, Judd Apatow's in there, didn't know Franco had a brother but there ya go, Seth Rogen isn't as annoying as usual, Bryan Cranston pops up, Jacki Fucking Weaver the queen of Australia plays the mum.... even Tommy gets a very funny post-credits scene.

I could not possibly recommend this film more highly (although check out The Room first, it will make it a lot funnier). It's extremely funny, surprisingly touching, and thoroughly entertaining from the very start to the very end.

Back
Top Bottom