Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen it, I loved it. Twisted, funny, satisfying. It had a stage play feel that I really dug. Great performances, definitely one of Sam L's best roles. Russell is hilarious. Jennifer Jason Leigh builds her character to a fearsome finish. Morricone's score is dark and gorgeous.

Probably could have been 20 or so minutes shorter. It really picks up once they decide to split the haberdashery into "North" and "South".

I don't know how to use spoiler tags on mobile so I can't talk many more specifics. There were some pieces put out there early that didn't quite fit into place at the end. Some things set up that didn't really payoff. (The busted door, the line out to the shitter,etc).

Sam L's monologue (you know the one) is an instant classic.

It doesn't totally reach the highs of a lot of Tarantino's other stuff but I still loved it. And he's still pretty easily my favorite filmmaker.

Last edited:
H8 is just twisted. It is like a stage play in a way. Gut busting moments and dialogue.

I read it compared to "The Thing" with mistrusting characters trapped in the cold and actually samples a bit of the music from it towards the end.

So far I have seen most of the movies that will be in contention for the Oscars with the exception of Carol, Inside Out, and Revenant (next weekend)

For me there is no clear cut Best Picture winner if I were an academy voter.

The critics have Spotlight as the lead horse. It's an excellent movie. One of those building procedurals that are fun on rewatch, but it didn't have any classic moments.

The Big Short is similar and Adam McKay brings a fresh vision for filmmaking on a timely subject Balancing laughs and outrage. I am tempted to vote for that as my best Picture.

I also think Sicario and Steve Jobs would make my top ten ballot. They seem to be getting shortchanged in the buzz department currently.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Absolutely see Inside Out when you have a chance. Go grab it out of Redbox or something. Even if you're not into animation, the creative world building and humor make it worth a try.

Yup. Inside Out is such a beautiful movie. My fondness for it just keeps growing.

"Not Goofball Island!!!"

"Hockey?!?"

:(

2015 Films - First Draft

Creed
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
Steve Jobs
Blackhat
Mad Max: Fury Road
It Follows
Results
Bone Tomahawk
Jupiter Ascending
Brooklyn

Sicario
Tangerine
Bridge of Spies
Inside Out
The Hateful 8
Mistress America
Anomalisa
The Assassin
Everest
Slow West

The Visit
Furious 7
Kingsman: The Secret Service
Cinderella
The Nightmare
Krampus
The Lobster
While We're Young
Chi-Raq
Unfriended

I watched The Ridiculous 6 last night for some reason. I laughed a few times. That is all.

While we're still (kind of) on the subject of Tarantino, I hadn't seen Grindhouse until tonight. That shit is entertaining as it gets. I got exactly what I wanted out of it.

If I had to pick a favorite between the two, I would go with Death Proof because I have a thing for southern fried stuntman movies. Planet Terror was extremely well crafted in its depravity, and definitely funny, but I am really bored with zombie/outbreak movies at this point. Give me a decade or so to get away from that fad and I will be able to appreciate that one more. In general, I felt Tarantino's work was much more original. Plus, Kurt Russell was fantastic. Death Proof had a ton of unnecessary filler and the dialogue felt weaker than usual coming from these actresses, but the heart wants what it wants.

Visually, there were positives and negatives to both. The effects of Planet Terror were too modern for the era it was trying to capture (the bubbling skin was conspicuously high budget for a grindhouse film), but Rodriguez got the film grain and grit down perfectly. Tarantino didn't seem to try as hard to muddy up the aesthetic, but the costumes and setting were on point. Awesome cars too, I love that shit.

Great 3 hours of entertainment.

Last edited:
2015 Films - First Draft

Creed
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
Steve Jobs
Blackhat
Mad Max: Fury Road
It Follows
Results
Bone Tomahawk
Jupiter Ascending
Brooklyn

Sicario
Tangerine
Bridge of Spies
Inside Out
The Hateful 8
Mistress America
Anomalisa
The Assassin
Everest
Slow West

The Visit
Furious 7
Kingsman: The Secret Service
Cinderella
The Nightmare
Krampus
The Lobster
While We're Young
Chi-Raq
Unfriended

Surprising dearth of foreign language stuff there, and that you have the Hou so low. Also, where did you catch The Lobster? I saw it at AFI Fest and was bummed it didn't get a release in 2015.

I've been disappointed with much of what I've seen so far this year. I like Fury Road as much the next guy, but there's something very discouraging about it being a consensus #1 pick for many critics.

That being said, there's still a lot I haven't gotten around to yet. Tangerine, Room, Carol, Spotlight, The Lobster, The Big Short, Anomalisa, etc. My opinion could completely flip by the time the Oscars roll around.

Last edited:
Marley Shelton was so hot in Planet Terror.

Grindhouse is full of great looking women. Mary Elizabeth Winstead in that cheerleader getup isn't even fair.

Death Proof is two hours of women's feet and legs. I don't know if it's just a genre convention (Smokey and the Bandit is the same way) or if Quentin has a fetish.

I've been disappointed with much of what I've seen so far this year. I like Fury Road as much the next guy, but there's something very discouraging about it being a consensus #1 pick for many critics.

That being said, there's still a lot I haven't gotten around to yet. Tangerine, Room, Carol, Spotlight, The Lobster, The Big Short, Anomalisa, etc. My opinion could completely flip by the time the Oscars roll around.

I'm not making a list until I catch a few more, mainly The Revenant and Anomalisa. I almost went to see The Big Short but already got bored before I left the house. Maybe I'll check it at the $2 theatre, waiting for The Martian to make it there as well.

Grindhouse is full of great looking women. Mary Elizabeth Winstead in that cheerleader getup isn't even fair.

Death Proof is two hours of women's feet and legs. I don't know if it's just a genre convention (Smokey and the Bandit is the same way) or if Quentin has a fetish.

He definitely has a fetish. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

So he does.

The Quentin Tarantino Toe-Sucking Sex Email That Will Haunt Your Dreams

This one of the funniest damn exchanges I've ever read:

Quentin: Wow so you really loved Reservoir Dogs, huh? Which of my other films do you like? (this blatant arrogance is the type of douchebaggery that really gets my gourd about Hollywood, so now my film boner has turned to film hate fuck, and I feel the need to cheekily undermine Quentin.)

Me: Oh wow. You know, I really didn't like Kill Bill...

Quentin: What? What do you mean? 1 or 2?

Me: Ehh, a little bit of both. I just didn't care for them.

Quentin: Wow...I don't think anyone has said that to my face about my seminal films.

Me: Perhaps it's because you call them your seminal films. Shouldn't you wait for someone else to say that?

Quentin: You know, you've got a mouth on you. I like that.

I'm still laughing. Assuming there's any truth to this at all, gotta give the guy his props for living a life that closely mirrors one of his own films.

Last edited:
I'm not making a list until I catch a few more, mainly The Revenant and Anomalisa. I almost went to see The Big Short but already got bored before I left the house. Maybe I'll check it at the $2 theatre, waiting for The Martian to make it there as well.

It's already at the $1.50 theater in NoHo >_>

Surprising dearth of foreign language stuff there, and that you have the Hou so low. Also, where did you catch The Lobster? I saw it at AFI Fest and was bummed it didn't get a release in 2015.

It's a draft, plenty more to see in the coming months. I've spent the last year and a half or so focused almost completely on classic Hollywood and I guess it's rubbed off somewhat on my trends regarding new releases.

The Hou is easily the most breathtakingly gorgeous film in several years, but ultimately kinda disappointing as a massive fan. It's more austere than his 21st century work us been till now, lacking in charm and approachability which complements the most historical and cultural concerns of his other films. I'd rank it close to the bottom of his output after one viewing but I could see that changing eventually.

As for The Lobster, I've seen no signs of a release around here and it's screener season.

Man, I love screener season.

Incredibly, I've only seen 27 new films this year compared to 61 last year. It would be stupid of me to attempt to compare my feelings on the two years at this point.

Last edited:
Even a $1.50 movie couldn't get Laz to drive to the valley.

I used to frequent that theatre when I lived in Hollywood, we were near the 101 exit on Sunset and it was a pretty quick hike. Now it's quicker for me to jump on the 2 and hit the Regency cheapo in Pasadena.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm going on a date this weekend with a girl who lives in Studio City. We'll see if she's worth repeated drives up there.

I used to frequent that theatre when I lived in Hollywood, we were near the 101 exit on Sunset and it was a pretty quick hike. Now it's quicker for me to jump on the 2 and hit the Regency cheapo in Pasadena.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm going on a date this weekend with a girl who lives in Studio City. We'll see if she's worth repeated drives up there.

You lived over by Amoeba? Nice. That's a great central location.

The Regency has treated us well since we moved out here. I wish they did some Oscar-themed slates like our AMC did, but if you keep an eye out, you can see most of the more mainstream nominees by the end of February.

Anyone ever use the Fandor app? I'm just a few days away from the trial ending. It has quite a selection of art/indie/cult films.

I'm at the Egyptian Theatre screening of Carol. Cate and Rooney are in the building. This is awesome.

As an added bonus, they're also showing Far From Heaven, which has been in my Netflix queue for an eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom