Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual, the New York Film Festival lineup is pretty fantastic. New Fincher, PTA, Inarritu, Assayas, Hong, Godard, Cronenberg, Dardennes, and Resnais's last film.

52nd New York Film Festival Main Slate
Opening Night Gala Selection
GONE GIRL
Director: David Fincher
Centerpiece Gala Selection

INHERENT VICE
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson
Closing Night Gala Selection

BIRDMAN OR THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE
Director: Alejandro G. Inarritu

BELOVED SISTERS (Die geliebten Schwestern)
Director: Dominik Graf

THE BLUE ROOM (La chambre bleue)
Director: Mathieu Amalric

CLOUDS OF SILS MARIA
Director: Olivier Assayas

EDEN
Director: Mia Hansen-Løve

FOXCATCHER
Director: Bennett Miller

GOODBYE TO LANGUAGE (Adieu au langage)
Director: Jean-Luc Godard

HEAVEN KNOWS WHAT
Directors: Josh & Benny Safdie

HILL OF FREEDOM (Jayuui Eondeok)
Director: Hong Sang-soo

HORSE MONEY (Cavalo Dinheiro)
Director: Pedro Costa

JAUJA
Director: Lisandro Alonso

LIFE OF RILEY (Aimer, boire et chanter)
Director: Alain Resnais

LISTEN UP PHILIP
Director: Alex Ross Perry

MAPS TO THE STARS
Director: David Cronenberg

MISUNDERSTOOD (Incompresa)
Director: Asia Argento

MR. TURNER
Director: Mike Leigh

PASOLINI
Director: Abel Ferrara

THE PRINCESS OF FRANCE (La Princesa de Francia)
Director: Matías Piñeiro

SAINT LAURENT
Director: Bertrand Bonello

LA SAPIENZA
Director: Eugène Green

’71
Director: Yann Demange

TALES OF THE GRIM SLEEPER
Director: Nick Broomfield

TIMBUKTU
Director: Abderrahmane Sissako

TIME OUT OF MIND
Director: Oren Moverman

TWO DAYS, ONE NIGHT (Deux jours, une nuit)
Directors: Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne

TWO SHOTS FIRED (Dos Disparos)
Director: Martín Rejtman

WHIPLASH
Director: Damien Chazelle

THE WONDERS (Le meraviglie)
Director: Alice Rohrwacher

Lynch is hilarious.

Sometimes a director comes up that you just have to wonder what the hell it took you so long to start digging into his filmography. Yasujiro Ozu is the latest example. I've seen Late Spring, Early Summer, Tokyo Story and Tokyo Twilight, and I consider three of those to be pretty much masterpieces. I'm watching An Autumn Afternoon today. Any recommendations beyond that are most welcome.

I own Criterion's Late Ozu set and everything in there is great. You already have a couple mentioned, but Equinox Flower, his first color film IIRC, is essential stuff.

Also, Floating Weeds from 1959.

All but a couple of his later films are outstanding, and you can't go wrong, but don't neglect earlier films. His silents are some of the best of the era, such as I Was Born, But..., Tokyo Chorus, and An Inn in Tokyo. the pre-war talkie There Was a Father is one of the most concise and heartbreaking films ever made. Masterpiece. Also the somewhat neglected post-war Record of a Tenement Gentleman and A Hen in the Wind.

Which are the late ones you find not to be so good?

They're still good, but The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice and The Munekata Sisters aren't particularly outstanding, though the latter has a lovely performance by Hideko Takamine. But then you could also watch any of her multitude of Naruse films of which she and the film itself are supremely more powerful.

I haven't asked in this thread for a while but are you all still liking the new Spoon album?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The 2D version is finally being released here next week. Not sure which version, but I've held off torrents and dodgy Chinese DVDs to see it first in the cinema.

Edit- US version apparently. Did people round here have a preference last year?

Robert Altman rankings so far:

1. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (A)
2. The Player (A-)
3. The Long Goodbye (A-)
4. M.A.S.H. (B)
5. Gosford Park (B-)

Where should I go next on my Altman journey? I love this guy. Every film he does feels totally unique; his range as a director is very impressive, doubly so considering the consistent quality across a number of genres (neo-noir, western, suspense, etc.).

His best.

Also The Player above The Long Goodbye gtfoooooooo

The Long Goodbye is staggeringly good.

California Split is amazing. I'd put McCabe above it, though. That's a miracle of a film.

But I think LM should watch Nashville next; it's an earlier, important work and later titles should be viewed in the context of its effect on Altman's career and American cinema in general.

After that, Short Cuts is a must-see as well.

Short Cuts is incredible on its own, but seeing it as a primer after being more familiar with P.T. Anderson really helps.

Brewster McCloud is a blast. You can stream a high-quality version on the Warner Archive service. While you're there, break off into a '70s buddy cop tangent for Freebie and the Bean. James Caan & Alan Arkin lay waste to San Francisco in the most anarchic way possible - orgies of car crashes and destruction on the level of The Blues Brothers.

Oh, and 3 Women rules.

While you're there, break off into a '70s buddy cop tangent for Freebie and the Bean. James Caan & Alan Arkin lay waste to San Francisco in the most anarchic way possible - orgies of car crashes and destruction on the level of The Blues Brothers.

Freebie And The Bean is so irreverent, so un-PC, so fucking good.

Freebie And The Bean is so irreverent, so un-PC, so fucking good.

Same goes for Richard Rush's Getting Straight -- it's the ultimate, hammy, boisterous Elliott Gould performance.

Also, happy birthday Brian De Palma:

500full.jpg

Same goes for Richard Rush's Getting Straight -- it's the ultimate, hammy, boisterous Elliott Gould performance.

I've seen that too, dude. YOU CAN'T STUMP ME.

Sharing this in case you haven't read it before:

The film did well commercially and was deemed by Swedish director Ingmar Bergman to be the "best American film of the decade."

So bizarre.

And I'm going to assume you've seen The Stunt Man.

Awesome, thanks! Only a dollar more than what I was paying, too.

There were a lot of things I was loathe to leave behind, in Indiana, but the drive-in theater was one of the hardest. A really small (one screen) little place, but they kept the authentic feel of the experience riding high. I loved it.

There are no new ideas :sigh:

I Know What You Did Last Summer getting a fucking reboot...come off it.

National Lampoon's Vacation getting a reboot...go fuck yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom