Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #106
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:49 PM
Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Inception is maybe my second favorite Nolan film actually, though it is in fact dour grey bullshit for the most part (The Prestige still holds up pretty well... I genuinely like that one quite a bit), but I am at a complete loss to imagine what about it could excite one of "the possibilities of the medium" so thoroughly. It's inventive, but only insofar as cross-cutting several different concurrent narratives (that itself is a technique almost 100 years old) which have vastly different relationships to one another in terms of rate and time within the story, where their duration on screen to us plays out equitably, but take place within ever expanding amounts of real-world time within one another. That's the exciting thing about the film, and it's a really great feat of logistics to execute properly, but even then it's still just a twist on fundamental film grammar with very little else going on around it.

Looper on the other hand, I haven't actually gone back to revisit though I'd like to, has just about as many interesting things to do with narrative logic, but actually has a lot of fun doing it, and embraces the batshit turns it takes along the way for what they're worth.

In one of his last articles for the Voice, J. Hoberman said that if you mashed up the action scenes in TRON: Legacy with the last 40 minutes of Inception you'd have a perfect B-movie. It's tough to disagree with him for the reasons that you mention: the cross-cutting between the varying levels of dreams in conjunction with Zimmer's booming sonic paint job create an overbearing immediacy. You're bowled over by the enormity of the spectacle since Nolan's films power through with a strong forward momentum (except when they're punctuated by characters reminding each other & the audience of the "stakes").

My biggest issue that the Nolan-powered strum and drang rarely amount to anything as formally exciting from what I look forward to in a blockbuster or as engaging intellectually as the "high-minded" flicks he strives toward. The dude is middle-brow personified. Even if there's an setpiece in his flicks worth watching or a performance or two that works, what's it in service of? I agree that The Prestige comes together well, but I'd like to see a heist film made by someone fun, a superhero film made by someone with a visual sense, or a detective story made by someone with a regard for storytelling mechanics, or any regard for humanity (let alone women) in any of his work.

In short, Nolan sucks. Interstellar will be a tremendous waste of acting talent. Give Shane Carruth 1/10th of the budget and you may get an amazing science fiction story.

Rian Johnson is the anti-Nolan to the point where I'd like to assume the universe created him as a counterpoint. If they're in the same room together, watch the fabric of space/time begin to unravel.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:49 PM
This discussion reminded me of:

Inception

Old 12-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
In one of his last articles for the Voice, J. Hoberman said that if you mashed up the action scenes in TRON: Legacy with the last 40 minutes of Inception you'd have a perfect B-movie. It's tough to disagree with him for the reasons that you mention: the cross-cutting between the varying levels of dreams in conjunction with Zimmer's booming sonic paint job create an overbearing immediacy. You're bowled over by the enormity of the spectacle since Nolan's films power through with a strong forward momentum (except when they're punctuated by characters reminding each other & the audience of the "stakes").

My biggest issue that the Nolan-powered strum and drang rarely amount to anything as formally exciting from what I look forward to in a blockbuster or as engaging intellectually as the "high-minded" flicks he strives toward. The dude is middle-brow personified. Even if there's an setpiece in his flicks worth watching or a performance or two that works, what's it in service of? I agree that The Prestige comes together well, but I'd like to see a heist film made by someone fun, a superhero film made by someone with a visual sense, or a detective story made by someone with a regard for storytelling mechanics, or any regard for humanity (let alone women) in any of his work.

In short, Nolan sucks. Interstellar will be a tremendous waste of acting talent. Give Shane Carruth 1/10th of the budget and you may get an amazing science fiction story.

Rian Johnson is the anti-Nolan to the point where I'd like to assume the universe created him as a counterpoint. If they're in the same room together, watch the fabric of space/time begin to unravel.
Couldn't agree more. Aside from the fact that Upstream Color is my least favorite viewing experience in years. Wouldn't piss on Shane Carruth if he were on fire.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

YLB, do you wish you could go back in time and incept yourself against this:

Inception
Old 12-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #110
Blue Crack Supplier

BUSTED.

Ah, the folly of youth.

Perhaps NSW needs to claim the HISTORIAN title.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #111
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
YLB, do you wish you could go back in time and incept yourself against this:

Inception

I'm sure there's more of that in the Dark Knight thread, too.

http://youtu.be/YBOMXBbQnw4
Old 12-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #112
Blue Crack Supplier

http://inception.davepedu.com
Old 12-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #113
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
This discussion reminded me of:

Inception
Dear God, I love the new app. This took me to the post inside of the app.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #114
Blue Crack Supplier

I like most of this page:

Inception
Old 12-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #115
Blue Crack Supplier

It's amazing how much mileage we've got out of "In Lameblows".

Like, over 6 years.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier

Some of these threads are gold, in an insular, THE CLICK! sort of way:

Inception
Old 12-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #117
Blue Crack Supplier

The Inception thread went to 34 pages. That's...a lot.

Did any of the Batman films hit that number?
Old 12-28-2013, 02:23 AM   #118
The Male

Drab color palette aside (one consistently shitty aspect any Nolan film), "dour, grey, boring bullshit" is precisely the opposite of how I would describe Inception. And, after scanning that old thread, it doesn't exactly resemble the typical first reaction either. Maybe I just need to OVER ANALYZE it.

Before Sunset/Before Midnight doubleheader on tap for tonight. I haven't truly fallen in love with any new films yet this year, so I'm hoping to turn that around here.

Now.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #119
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Once the "over analyze" it gauntlet gets dropped, y'all know that the conversation is officially over.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #120
The Male

We all appreciate movies in our own way, so there's no point in going there. If someone is willing to be open minded about something I like, that allows for a great deal of leeway in discussion. If they're setting aside their personal time to understand it, that's even better.

With some people though, I do admittedly prefer the CrashedCarDriver style of debate.

Now.
Closed Thread