Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I went through wiki, and a few other sources, to make a list of films I'm interested in this year. Would anyone be interested if I started a film calendar, like the album calendar in B&C? That would be really helpful for people to share movies they're looking forward to (I know we already have the upcoming films of interest thread, but I'm not sure it gets a lot of posting).

I realize release dates with film are a bit tougher, but at least we could get a rough idea going.

That'd be wicked cool! Comingsoon.net & Boxofficemojo are also terrific resources for that.

I'm so rubbish when it comes to film sights, so thanks for those. I'll start a thread tomorrow.

You know what's a great movie they many people never have a chance because Nicolas Cage is the lead actor?

Knowing

Fantastic movie.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

The poster looked like one of the crappy Left Behind movies, so I thought it would be terrible, campy fun.

It delivered.

I've heard an awesome theory on Cage. He brings his A-game to every movie. Let's say the first 9 takes in a scene are primo, intense, "I'm Castor Troy!"-level turns and the last one is "normal."

The worst Cage flicks use the normal take.

I love him. Couldn't be more psyched for Joe.

I can dig that. Corroborates what Cage says about his own work and his feelings towards the films he chooses as well.

This has nothing to do with Cage, I don't think I need to reiterate how much I love him, I say that on the regular. Knowing is an awful, awful movie. One of the worst I have ever seen. Cage is actually the best part of it.

That's cool, I mean, it's just one person's opinion. I loved the plot, when I first saw trailers for it, was still in love with it when I started watching the movie, but for me, when the truth about what was happening in the film started to take shape, I just couldn't stop rolling my eyes. And then that ending was, well, cheesy as fuck.

But seriously, it's not like I'm expecting anyone/everyone to agree with me.

I wasn't offended or looking for an argument. :p It's fine.

There's a lot of really strong filmmaking going on in Knowing, cheesy ending notwithstanding. I also enjoy how the mystery actually sustains itself through almost the entire film. So few films with crazy premises like this actually manage that. And even once the cards hit the table it's all so goofy and crazy I still enjoy it.

I highly doubt that anyone in here is going to be upset by spoilers, but just in case:

When the world, literally the entire world was destroyed, I was a bit taken aback by that. You don't usually see something like that in a Hollywood film. Usually some form of savoir appears by the end, but this time, it wasn't coming. So, I do count that as a huge positive, the movie managed to momentarily take my breath away.

I highly doubt that anyone in here is going to be upset by spoilers, but just in case:

When the world, literally the entire world was destroyed, I was a bit taken aback by that. You don't usually see something like that in a Hollywood film. Usually some form of savoir appears by the end, but this time, it wasn't coming. So, I do count that as a huge positive, the movie managed to momentarily take my breath away.

May as well follow suit

Yeah, it's something like that as well that sets the film apart some ways. You gotta admire the balls at the very least.

Also,
Knowing - Airplane Crash Scene - YouTube

Is Interference's resident Cage academic going to weigh in on Knowing?

I've yet to see it! Been slowly working through the blind spots in his filmography these past couple of months. Moonstruck is on-deck now; The Weather Man and Honeymoon in Vegas are up next... now I've gotta add Knowing.

Hoping to catch up by the time I see Joe at SXSW, fingers-crossed.

Moonstruck is so weird. I could never tell half the time if I was supposed to be laughing and then by the end, I think I was more confused than ever. I had it in my head, for some reason, that it wasn't a comedy. I really need to see it a second time with that knowledge more firmly in mind, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it more.

May as well follow suit

Yeah, it's something like that as well that sets the film apart some ways. You gotta admire the balls at the very least.

Also,
Knowing - Airplane Crash Scene - YouTube

Loved that scene, even if it looked a little too digital.

I've yet to see it! Been slowly working through the blind spots in his filmography these past couple of months. Moonstruck is on-deck now; The Weather Man and Honeymoon in Vegas are up next... now I've gotta add Knowing.

Please report back when you've seen Honeymoon in Vegas.

Oh man! I think (hope) you'll like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom