Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She's a lovely girl and seemed incredibly shy at the Q&A which was a surprise. Cate is hilarious, which I knew already. She has a somewhat cold demeanor on screen, but she's always very likable in interviews.

Carol is a fantastic movie, warm and inviting to the eye and built on a skilled cast. Lots of great, subtle writing and acting prevents it from turning into a melodrama, with the exception of one capital-A Acting moment that Cate gets late in the film. She knocks that scene out of the park.

As far as Oscar movies with obscenely high metascores go, it beats the shit out of Boyhood. There's too much chemistry and finesse here to not enjoy this movie.

Last edited:
I'm at the Egyptian Theatre screening of Carol. Cate and Rooney are in the building. This is awesome.

As an added bonus, they're also showing Far From Heaven, which has been in my Netflix queue for an eternity.

She's a lovely girl and seemed incredibly shy at the Q&A which was a surprise. Cate is hilarious, which I knew already. She has a somewhat cold demeanor on screen, but she's always very likable in interviews.

Carol is a fantastic movie, warm and inviting to the eye and built on a skilled cast. Lots of great, subtle writing and acting prevents it from turning into a melodrama, with the exception of one capital-A Acting moment that Cate gets late in the film. She knocks that scene out of the park.

As far as Oscar movies with obscenely high metascores go, it beats the shit out of Boyhood. There's too much chemistry and finesse here to not enjoy this movie.

Nice. I saw Carol a couple weeks ago and loved it. Not sure if I rate it as high as I'm Not There, but it's certainly one of the year's best and I'm fine with any awards it wins.

They showed Far From Heaven right afterwards. That was a great combo and I really loved every second of the latter. Carol is great too, but I had a couple issues with it. Mostly I just think it went too fast. Far From Heaven was Pleasantville except better and without the same level of awareness from the characters, and Pleasantville is one of my favorite movies.

Carol reminded me of Mad Men in a way, even if the period is slightly earlier. The New York look of it, the wardrobes, the color tones, the cigarettes. Even those lame dudes that were chasing after ROONEY reminded me of some of the lame dudes chasing after Peggy on Mad Men. Thought Rooney was mesmerizing in this and really liked it overall. Liked the piercing piano score, too.

My top 5 movies of 2015:

1. The Force Awakens
2. Inside Out
3. Room
4. Crimson Peak
5. The Hateful Eight

Saw two movies recently, both, I am led to believe, are classics, in their own ways. Point Break (the original) was incredibly entertaining. I am not sure if it is a good movie but it was entertaining. You could have replaced Keanu Reeves with a cardboard cutout and it wouldn't have made much difference, but it was offset by great performances from Gary Busey (easily my favourite character, what a riot) and Patrick Swazye, who managed to bring some gravitas to a pretty fucking ridiculous plot. Can see why it's a cult classic.

I also saw A Few Good Men. I had seen the immortal courtroom scene a million times on clip shows and the like but never the actual movie. Enjoyed it quite a bit. I saw Aaron Sorkin was involved and like The Social Network, which I adored, it's amazing how he manages to bring an action vibe to what is an actionless movie (though yes I know he didn't direct so wouldn't have had as much influence so maybe I'm just talking out my ass). It was nice to see Tom Cruise and like him for a change (remembering I'm not a movie person so I've seen very little, the awful Vanilla Sky, the Oprah couch thing and Scientology is about all I know about him) and I found the plot to be really intriguing and interesting. Paused it a couple of times and talked it out with my family to make sure I had it right. Jack Nicholson is obviously terrific in it and aside from the sheer power of his performance throughout I thought his character presented a really thought-provoking point of view - would America be as safe if people like Col Jessup did things on the sly? Followed things absolutely to the letter? Obviously he had the option of transferring Santiago and that probably would have solved things but I've often wondered if sometimes "the best man for the job" is not the "correct/by the book" man for the job. Would have been interesting to see that explored a bit more. Also thought Demi Moore could have been given a bit more respect. But I digress.

Seven Psychopaths just popped in my head again. I love that movie. I need to see In Bruges.

I watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus again today for the first time in 5 years. I read the director turned down Tom Cruise after he inquired about playing on of the Ledger characters. The reason being that the director only wanted friends of Ledger to be in that role. Old news I guess. Also, Tom Waits plays a good devil.

I saw the trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane the other day... So this is a creepy unofficial but kind of a sequel to Cloverfield?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Here's my expanded list:

1. Mustang (Deniz Gamze Ergüven, France/Turkey)
2. Clouds of Sils Maria (Olivier Assayas, France/Germany/Switzerland)
3. Sicario (Denis Villeneuve, USA)
4. Carol (Todd Haynes, USA)
5. Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, Australia/USA)
6. Chi-raq (Spike Lee, USA)
7. Wild Tales (Damián Szifron, Argentina/Spain)
8. When Marnie Was There (Hiromasa Yonebayashi, Japan)
9. It Follows (David Robert Mitchell, USA)
10. Bande de Filles aka Girlhood (Céline Sciamma, France)

H.M.: Ex Machina (Alex Garland, UK), Tom At The Farm (Xavier Dolan, Canada/France), The Duke of Burgundy (Peter Strickland, UK), Brooklyn (John Crowley, Ireland/UK/Canada),
Youth (Paolo Sorrentino, Italy/France/UK/Switzerland), Testament of Youth (James Kent, UK), Son Of Saul (László Nemes, Hungary), Spotlight (Tom McCarthy, USA), The Revenant
(Alejandro González Iñárritu, USA), The Assassin (Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Taiwan/China), Irrational Man (Woody Allen, USA), Anomalisa (Charlie Kaufman & Duke Johnson, USA),
The Martian (Ridley Scott, USA), the first half of Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (J.J. Abrams, USA)

Not yet released in 2015: The Lobster (Yorgos Lanthimos, Ireland/UK/Greece), Dheepan (Jacques Audiard, France), Tale of Tales (Matteo Garrone, Italy/France/UK), Necktie Youth
(Sibs Shongwe-La Mer, South Africa/Netherlands), Embrace of the Serpent (Ciro Guerra, Colombia/Venezuela/Argentina)

Acting citations: Güneş Şensoy, Doğa Doğuşlu, Elit İşcan, Tuğba Sunguroğlu, İlayda Akdoğan (Mustang), Juliette Binoche, Kristen Stewart (Clouds of Sils Maria), Emily Blunt, Benicio
Del Toro, Josh Brolin (Sicario), Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara (Carol), Charlize Theron (Mad Max: Fury Road), Teyonah Parris, Angela Bassett (Chi-raq), Érica Rivas (Wild Tales),
Karidja Touré, Assa Sylla (Bande de Filles), Oscar Isaac, Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina), Sidse Babett Knudsen, Chiara D'Anna (The Duke of Burgundy), Saoirse Ronan (Brooklyn),
Michael Caine, Rachel Weisz (Youth), Alicia Vikander , Miranda Richardson (Testament of Youth), Géza Röhrig (Son of Saul), Liev Schrieber, Michael Keaton, Brian d'Arcy James
(Spotlight), Leonardo De Caprio, Tom Hardy (The Revenant), Joaquin Phoenix, Emma Stone (Irrational Man), David Thewlis, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tom Noonan (Anomalisa), Daisy
Ridley, John Boyega (Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens), Paul Dano (Love and Mercy), Jennifer Lawrence (Joy)

9 of 10 in my Top 10 have female leads or co-leads, and the other film is an anthology with a couple stories led by women. 2 of the 10 are directed by women. It's been a refreshing
year, to say the least.

Last edited:
Wild Tales will be on my list as well, if it counts as a 2015 film. Same with When Marnie Was There.

I tend to go by US release date because it dictates when I can actually watch it.

Wild Tales was hilarious. I really loved it.

Glad to know you liked Clouds of Sils Maria, Laz. I watched it back in 2014, but it would definitely have made my list for that year.

There's way too much I haven't seen to make a list for 2015. Right now, I think My Golden Days and Microbe & Gasoline would be near the top.

Louis Malle is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors. Elevator to the Gallows is brilliant film noir (incredible that he directed it in his mid 20s) and The Fire Within is a powerful look at addiction and its affect on relationships.

Last edited:
I honestly thought it was like Funny or Die having a laugh or something. I am SO fucking pumped for that movie.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

H.M.: Ex Machina (Alex Garland, UK)

I just got through watching this. It was very striking and had me on the edge of my seat. I've been digging trying to find gold with scifi stuff on Netflix and Amazon Prime, but most of what I've subjected myself to has been... pretty bad. This along with a couple others are good, though, and make me want more.

Read a funny bit someone wrote somewhere that the girl who played Ava in this should have played Kylo Ren, but should have played Ren just she played Ava. That especially made me laugh considering the other cast members of this.

2016 ICS Award Nominees

Briefly:

PICTURE
• 45 Years
• Arabian Nights
• The Assassin
• Carol
• Clouds of Sils Maria
• The Duke of Burgundy
• Inside Out
• Li’l Quinquin
• Mad Max: Fury Road