Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 11:25 PM   #811
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:00 AM
Haven't heard that, why?

Old 06-30-2015, 11:30 PM   #812
Blue Crack Distributor

There's a design on the chalkboard in their house shown a few times in the first third with the same circle with a diamond grid inside it and it has numbers written in the squares instead of letters.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:41 PM   #813
Blue Crack Supplier

Hmm. The pattern could be some French cultural thing that is also known in Montreal.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:53 PM   #814
Blue Crack Distributor

Yeah, I'm wondering if it was some math thing, or something. I don't know where to even look to find out.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:18 AM   #815
The Male

Well that was intriguing as fuck. I need to see it again before I make any judgments because there are countless minute details here that add to the themes of the film in significant ways. Sometimes you can just watch a film once and get everything out of it that you need to, but not with Celine and Julie. It was like Thomas Pynchon wrote his own version of Alice In Wonderland and it was adapted into a French new wave film.

For now: I liked it.

Now.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:24 AM   #816
Blue Crack Distributor

I jokingly referred to it as the French Last Action Hero, but then I started reading more interpretations and explanations of what happened and I was like, "oh, that's kinda exactly what it is". But obviously loads deeper, and better (I still love you LAH.)

Anyways, I thought it was superb. I liked the first half, I loved the second half. And I barely noticed how long it was.

As Travis said, there were certainly things I didn't understand, and little bits and pieces I missed, but as a whole, my gut reaction is that I absolutely loved this. And just reading about some of what was behind it has already brought it up even higher in my estimation, after all of 20 minutes. Can't imagine how I'd feel after seeing it again.

Laz, if you ever hear about it being screened somewhere, please let me know. I'd love to go.

For now, I'll have to content myself with either leaving my computer set to Region 2 and importing a DVD, or hoping that Criterion eventually get their hands on it.

This isn't the review thread, so I get to avoid giving a score. Yay!

Oh, and I loved the wordplay, and bravo to whoever did the subtitles for doing their best to make it work for English speakers. My only wish is that it would have been possible to have translated the title in some way that made sense. Or at least I wish I'd looked up what the title meant first. That was a great little joke.

Oh, and Oh once more, as fun as the film was, it did contain one of the most startling shots I've ever seen in my life:

Old 07-01-2015, 02:56 AM   #817
Blue Crack Supplier

Glad you guys had a good time with it. I may have written about my experience with the film back in the day, not sure if I could find it here without some legwork.

At any rate, I was working/living in Brooklyn for a month back in 2008 and I was attempting to see the anime The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Unfortunately I got the showtime wrong/missed a train and arrived at the theatre too late. So I cracked open the Village Voice and looked for something else to see, and Céline and Julie Go Boating caught my eye. I had heard of the title, had heard of Rivette, but knew virtually nothing about either. So I went in pretty blind, and had what is possibly the most transformative viewing of my life.

Sadly, much of Rivette's output, particularly his key early works, are not available in the U.S. on DVD. I already owned a region-free player so quickly ordered imports from Amazon UK, including C&JGB and his debut feature Paris Belongs To Us. But there are many titles that aren't available in any English-speaking countries, so I had to scour the internet for downloadable files with subtitles. It's become easier in recent years, but much is still not available.

His magnum opus Out 1, available in a 13-hour or 4-hour version, appeared on German DVD last year, and a Blu-ray has been announced in the UK if I'm not mistaken. Carlotta Films is supposedly releasing it on Region 1 this year, and Kino put out Rivette's Pont du Nord on Blu-ray and DVD on Region 1 in April (I highly recommend seeking this one out as it has much in common with C&JGB).

Anyway, there's a lot of great reading online and it's pretty easy to get sucked into the rabbit hole. There's a great website that has a lot of articles about and by Rivette archived, and with this link you can just scroll down his filmography to C&JGB and click on any article. Some of it is pretty highbrow stuff but there's also good interview material where you can get information straight from the source (Rivette as well as the actors):

jacques-rivette.com: Filmography
Old 07-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #818
Blue Crack Distributor

I absolutely do not mind "highbrow" readings on film. So, thank you for the link. I'll check some of that out later.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:01 PM   #819
Blue Crack Supplier

Coincidentally, I just found out that Cinefamily is showing Duelle, an extremely rare Rivette this Sunday, and also happens to be my second favorite after C&JGB. It's not available on DVD anywhere with English subtitles, so I've only seen a downloaded version.

It's about a goddess of the moon and goddess of the sun coming down to Earth to battle over some powerful crystal. Lot of homages to classic film noir. The visuals are probably the best out of any Rivette film.

Christmas in July, indeed.

La Collectionneuse | The Cinefamily
Old 07-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #820
Blue Crack Supplier

I aint never seen nothing by no Rivette.

I guess I should change that one day.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:53 PM   #821
Blue Crack Distributor

If I lived closer, I'd invest in that Cinefamily membership, but there's no convenient way for me to get there regularly.

Regardless, I might go to that, I was thinking of going to Anime Expo but this is a way better use of my money. Is there parking there?
Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #822
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:00 PM
Duelle is pretty rad
Old 07-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #823
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
If I lived closer, I'd invest in that Cinefamily membership, but there's no convenient way for me to get there regularly.

Regardless, I might go to that, I was thinking of going to Anime Expo but this is a way better use of my money. Is there parking there?
Not that I live super far away, but it's partly the reason I haven't bought monthly memberships as well.

The handful of times I've been there I've been able to find residential street parking within walking distance. Most of the people in that area have houses so the streets aren't filled with apartment building tenants' cars.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:08 PM   #824
Blue Crack Distributor

Alright. Sounds good to me. I haven't gone to a single movie screening since I moved out here, besides seeing one Ozu film over at CSUN (which was a lot of fun, to be fair).
Old 07-03-2015, 02:41 AM   #825
Refugee

Local Time: 06:00 PM
Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

So going back to Pixar for a moment, and specifically the works of Pete Doctor (Monsters Inc., Up and Inside Out), I've realized that the problem that keeps these films from the Pixar Pantheon is their flawed second acts. They all have great introductions to imaginative worlds and hit all the right emotional beats at the end, but their middles are all so listless. Lots of fun moments and entertaining throughout, but slight.

I forget which films disc it was, but one of the Pixar special features explained the screenwriting process beginning with 25% act 1, 25% act 3 and then a whole bunch of stuff in the middle 50%. Simplified for the kids, obviously, but very telling. You can't just have 'stuff happens' as a plotting tool, but that's what these 3 films in particular seem to suffer from.

To his credit, Doctor does focus on the development of his protagonists so the endings land as hard as they do. But other than that, they just spend the bulk of the film walking from point A to point B with very little urgency. Sully basically just spends 1 day taking Boo back to her door, the guys in Up wander through the jungle and Joy and Sadness walk back to HQ. Stuff goes on around and hinders them, but not much else.

Compare that to Marlin's 4-5 self contained adventures whilst Nemo hatches his own escape plan, Remy's rise through the kitchen and identity issues or Mr Incredible's moonlighting, capture and escape. Doctor has stories which service his protagonists development, rather than letting them drive the story. He fills them with great idea after great idea, but most are merely touched upon than explored to their potential.

tl;dr perhaps, but after rewatching a few Pixars at home in anticipation of Inside Out its been on my mind. The blu Ray presentations are stellar btw.

And to perhaps push a different discussion, how important is a well crafted screenplay to us when critiquing and enjoying movies? I'm not just thinking of quotable dialogue and twists, but engagingly plotted and couldn't imagine it any other way narratives, like Chinatown, Jaws, Raiders, Die Hard or The Apartment. Film is a visual medium, but I'd value a good story well told as opposed to a well rendered dinosaur doing cool shit.