Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition - Page 46 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:03 AM   #676
The Male

Local Time: 10:30 AM
As a fan, I expected more from The Wolf of Wall Street. The pacing wasn't right at all, no real flow to it, mostly zany scenes followed by crashing lows followed by more zaniness. Despite being very colorful and energetic, it's also very static. It certainly felt like a Scorsese movie, but not an especially graceful one. The ending did seem rushed and I felt I learned next to nothing about the protagonist in 3 hours, which is unfortunate. Leo is a lot of fun as Jordan Belfort, but his character's development wasn't as intriguing to me as that of Travis Bickle, Jake La Motta, Henry Hill and so on. Leo's assertive acting sticks in my mind more than any specific character traits about Belfort. He yells a lot and likes cocaine and S&M. I don't remember much else.

If I had never seen a Scorsese film before and just wanted to have fun at the movies, I would have been satisfied with the hot girls and drug humor and moved on with my life. It was very entertaining and I only checked the time once or twice. Does it linger with me to this day? No, not really. I don't feel like I need to see it again.

And yeah, I agree that the use of music was disappointing. I liked it in the theater, but no individual moments stuck with me. I can't recall a single song choice from the film. Nothing as awesome as Be My Baby or Rubber Biscuit from Mean Streets, that's for sure.

Now.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:42 AM   #677
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:30 PM
Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

My biggest problem with the character of Belfort was that I couldn't see him in a sympathetic light just as I couldn't really be cheering for the Feds to take him down, either. It wasn't bad, I am not going to say I actively disliked it otherwise I wouldn't have sat through the whole movie. In the end, I just couldn't care too much about him at all. The scenes where he was selling the crap out of stuff, evangelist preacher-like amping up the company with speeches, were the most compelling bit of characterization, yet they were so few and far between (it's a long movie, there was like 1 per hour, which is sort of hard to keep in your head with all the snorting coke off hookers and other crazy going on), and so one-dimensional (as in, I don't think more of the same would have been better, because it would have just been more of the same thing) that they weren't really all that compelling.

You know what was missing? The real lack of time and place. I know the when and where because I was told, but at no point did I really feel like I was in NY in the late 80s. You could say well, it's not really a period piece. But I wouldn't really say every single Scorsese film is, either. And even with things that aren't Gangs of NY or the Age of Innocence, you still always get that very immediate sense of when and where this is happening. I got remarkably none of that with Wolf of Wall Street, which is weird as fuck. I'm blaming the music, again. It always really helps.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #678
45:33

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Life of Brian was on tonight. Seen it a million times but I'm still blown away. It is such an incredibly brilliant bit of satire. The way it sends up religious zeal is brilliant from start to finish. I particularly love when Brian runs off on his followers, leaving a shoe behind, and they bicker for about a minute about what to do next and then his 100 or so followers all splinter into five or six different groups. Also extremely funny throughout and endlessly quotable.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #679
Blue Crack Supplier

I need to watch that again, it's been ages.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #680
45:33

Local Time: 05:30 AM
it's ridiculous how much joy I've derived from Monty Python.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #681
Blue Crack Supplier

That's because Monty Python was the best.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #682
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Finally got around to watching the Wolf of Wall Street. It was ok, I guess. I should go back and google what you guys had to say about it. Without really possessing the proper movie-discussing vernacular, I like the scenes and shots and are so typically Scorsese-you know, the kinda that sweep around a room and follow someone, but they just seemed like they existed to remind me that's who made the movie, rather than anything else. A little by the numbers, maybe? The music, which is always so well embedded and woven into the film itself didn't really do it for me, either. That's always one of my favorite things, and it sort of felt flat, not really adding much to any of the scenes. If anything, it was overused and borderline distracting when it wasn't being forgettable. Happy to see my boy Kyle Chandler appear as the FBI agent (it had somehow never been made known to me, which is weird because it's totally the kind of text my mother would have sent me, that he was in this movie. I've never seen a single episode of Friday Night Lights, but when I was 12, the ultra cheesy/unwatchable-as-an-adult show Early Edition was like my favorite thing next to reruns of m*a*s*h or the odd couple. Don't hurt yourself laughing too hard after you google what a cringe-inducing lame-fest that show was), but then during the yacht crash scene I found myself looking at the the cgi waves to see if there were any sharks...overall, kind of a disappointment. Not terrible, but not really any better than just ok. I'd hate to say a 3 hour movie could have an ending that felt rushed, but I said it.
After I watched it I youtubed some video of the dude that Leo actually portrayed. But yeah. I thought the movie was good and reminded me that Leo is really a versatile actor. Jonah Hill wanted the role he played so badly that he only made 60 k I read.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #683
Blue Crack Supplier

Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

Jonah Hill is terrible. He should never be in non-Seth Rogan movies. He can be in all the Seth Rogan movies he wants to be in, just not any movies I may actually watch.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:56 AM   #684
The Male

John Wick and Fury this week, $1.50 a ticket. Really glad I looked around for a reasonably priced theater. It's ludicrous that I lived in North Hollywood for months without ever going to the movies.

Now.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #685
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:30 PM
I'm in the mood to watch 'Tremors' The original with Kevin Bacon. Such a perfect fun movie
Old 01-04-2015, 02:15 AM   #686
Blue Crack Distributor

Saw it for the first time in October. I expected to like it, but it definitely exceeded my expectations.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:50 AM   #687
Blue Crack Distributor

So, just finished watching Jersey Boys, and now I'm going crazy. I can't find anything through Google or IMDb to back me up, but doesn't the song "Who Loves You" play over the climax of some movie? I swear it does.... But... Maybe I just completely am making this up.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #688
Blue Crack Addict

OK, very late to the party but just finally watched The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Which one of you is actually Wes Anderson?
Cause know way you come up with Jeff Golblum being found dead in Kunstmuseum unless you're a long time member here.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #689
Blue Crack Distributor

Travis and I about died when that happened.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #690
Blue Crack Addict

Whenever he saw the sign "Next stop Kuntsmuseum" I started laughing, but then to have him found dead in there was just too good to be true.