Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they didn't have $200m budgets that needed recouping, it would be great to see them aim for a true artistic statement, box office be damned.

Which is why I continue to be disappointed that they didn't go their own way after Nemo like they were meant to...but who can turn down Disney money?

EDIT: Sorry, Monsters Inc.

Not long now before John Lasseter directs the animated Avengers/Star Wars crossover universe film.

I thought Up was highly regarded, weird. I don't remember a great deal of it but I recall the ending made me cry.

It depends on who you ask. I would call a movie with an 88 metascore and 98% rotten "highly regarded" among critics. But it gets its share of criticism as well.

With many people, the bravura opening sequence clouded their judgement of the rest of the film, which ran from very good to asinine

Far from a masterpiece, not deserving of a BP nomination, etc.

One of the first movies I remember seeing mentioned on this site that I'd never even heard of before was Celine and Julie Go Boating. This was years and years ago, and I've wanted to watch it ever since. Finally rented it today.

But my car was rear ended so now I have to go to the urgent care before I can watch it, so please, regale me with tales of how much I'm going to enjoy this when I watch it later.

One of the first movies I remember seeing mentioned on this site that I'd never even heard of before was Celine and Julie Go Boating. This was years and years ago, and I've wanted to watch it ever since. Finally rented it today.

But my car was rear ended so now I have to go to the urgent care before I can watch it, so please, regale me with tales of how much I'm going to enjoy this when I watch it later.

Yikes, good luck at the urgent care. Hopefully it's no worse than some whiplash......

it's good

Intriguing.

Yikes, good luck at the urgent care. Hopefully it's no worse than some whiplash......
I think that's all it is. The car I totally fine. I'm just bored in the waiting room and I have all these movies in the car, lol.

Also on deck, Last Year In Marienbad, A Separation and Frankenhooker. Cause high art is clearly a priority with me.

I'm surprised you were able to find it to rent, as far as I know it hasn't been released in the US on DVD.

Anyway, it's a long film, many stretches where it seems like nothing is happening or it's being repetitious. But the point is to put you under a spell of sorts. Rivette believes duration is important; he doesn't want you just casually experiencing his work and moving on to the next thing. By keeping you "hostage" for longer, it allows his unique approach to sink in a little more.

Here's a little blurb from Rivette scholar Jonathan Rosenbaum from back when he used to write for the Chicago Reader:

Jacques Rivette's comic feminist extravaganza is as scary and unsettling in its narrative high jinks as it is exhilarating in its uninhibited slapstick (1974). Its slow, sensual beginning stages a meeting between a librarian (Dominique Labourier) and a nightclub magician (Juliet Berto). Eventually, a plot within a plot magically takes shape—a somewhat sexist Victorian melodrama with Bulle Ogier, Marie-France Pisier, Barbet Schroeder (the film's producer), and a little girl—as each character, on successive days, visits an old dark house and the same events take place. The elaborate Hitchcockian doublings are so beautifully worked out that this movie steadily grows in resonance and power. The four main actresses scripted their own dialogue with Eduardo de Gregorio and Rivette, and the film derives many of its euphoric effects from a wholesale ransacking of the cinema of pleasure (cartoons, musicals, thrillers, and serials).

Thanks, Laz! One of the reasons this movie stuck out to me was because I remembered you mentioning it was hard to find. Hopefully I didn't grab a Region Coded DVD without noticing.

About to watch now. We'll find out soon enough.

I did. Fuck. What an awful day. Well, using one of my PCs region changes for this. Oh well. The thing is they rent region free DVD players there, and I would gladly have rented it if he'd said something.

Oh well, this isn't too hard to fix.

I have the pc plugged into the TV, so that's how I was going
To watch it, usually I use the Playstation. But I fell asleep almost immediately so it'll be tonight's watching instead. I think I made it through half an hour before the medicine they gave me kicked in. I was enjoying it quite a bit, though.

YOU'RE ALL REGlON CODED! EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU. AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IT!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA!!!!

the medicine they gave me

Ohhhhhhh, they gave you some medicine?

GOOD LUCK DEALING WITH THE AFTEREFFECTS OF THE "MEDICINE". I'M 100% SURE THE "MEDICINE" WILL NOT ACTIVATE YOUR HERETOFORE DORMANT INTERNAL REGION CODE SO THEY CAN WATCH AND TRACK YOUR EVERY MOVEMENT.

Still waiting for the review...

Celine_and_Julie_4.jpg

Still haven't watched it :sad:. I'm so sorry that I am the biggest disappointment ever.

Tomorrow. I promise.

Gotta stop to ask, is this some common thing I'm unaware of, or are The Arcade Fire fans of this movie?

2013reflektor2_instargram_060813.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom