Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

–Why send Wolverine to that specific moment a day before the event that changes history? Why not send him a few years further back? He could kill Peter Dinklage as a baby or something.

Very, very pretty.

Tiny thing that immediately made me nitpicky, though...the Japanese title was really just fine, it's literally translated as "Memories of Marnie". Didn't really seem to need a new title. But, I have no idea why that jumped out at me the way it did...probably because it was one of the first instances in which I could read a film title with almost no need for help :lol:

I'm interested if anyone has seen Europa Report? Particularly Lazarus Long.

Supposed to be good, smart (and plausible?) sci-fi. I was weary of reading reviews, I don't want to be spoiled on the plot. Although apparently some science geeks have praised it and it has 80% fresh on RT and the metacritic number is 68 according to wiki. Just saw the trailer and thought - that looks pretty cool. I'm always starved for smart, realistic sci-fi films. Few and far between these days.

Of all the characters to change from male to female, why pick the one that's actually based on another "real" character?

Additionally: It doesn't solve much to take a male character and change them to female, rather than just creating new female characters and giving them strong introductions. All this does, IMO, is turn more people off of "Those damn feminists" trying to change everything to be a women's world, or whatever BS teenage boys on the internet want to spew.

And just read the comments: They have multiple source materials to use as a new/reintroduced female character for this series. This is just a stupid PR stunt.

The old Thor, that is to say the male warrior, will still be hanging around, but will be reduced to a depowered mortal unworthy of Mjolnir — the warrior’s magical hammer — and all that comes with it.

anyways

if Ronda Rousey is half way decent in her 3 upcoming films, I think she will get the film role

:sigh:

I rewatched the Raimi Spiderman trilogy this weekend.

I'm here to acknowledge and admit that, much as I thought otherwise....Spiderman 3 is really, really bad.

Usually when I have an unpopular opinion on a movie, I'll go back and watch it after a while and still stick to my guns afterwards. I watched this movie and just spent the entire time with this horrible feeling as I realized it really is just that bad :(.

spideydance.gif
/10

That whole trilogy - especially Spider-Man 2 - is where I am genuinely baffled by the critical reception it got. All of my friends who are big fans of the comic book can't stand all three films. Aside from the bizarre pacing (the second one especially felt four hours long to me) and the cringe-worthy dialogue supporting some of the most drawn-out and annoying "love stories", I can't think of another franchise that big that was so poorly cast. Every major non-villain role is miscast. Every single one. Plus Topher Grace.

Spiderman is a serviceable superhero movie. I enjoyed it well enough. Dafoe was wasted but it easily had the best pacing of the three movies and I had fun with it almost all the way through. 2 starts off really, really mopey and boring but it clicks in the second half. Great effects and I personally thought Alfred Molina was great. 3 is fucking dogshit. Nothing more to say.

Last edited:
I'm being forced, now, to recognize that I allowed for a lot of lapses in the story, simply because I was familiar with the characters and stories before hand, but now that I'm watching it with a more critical/older eye, I can't ignore the simple fact: They absolutely never set up Mary Jane and Peter. They just assume since everyone knows they get together, they don't actually have to try to build a relationship. That was the biggest thing bothering me throughout the whole rewatch.

Otherwise, I'm still very, very pleased with 1 and 2 and I thought Maguire was great casting, myself.

3 is wild and enjoyable and very Sam Raimi, even though it's a mess. I like all three. Few modern directors understand action as well as he does.

This is interesting, but I'm not sure I like it. I'll have to watch the full film to see, but I'm almost preconditioned now to associate that ratio with instagram /vine and that's not the kind of thing Dolan necessarily needs to be more closely related to in people's minds right now. Also not sure it's as flattering for portraits/close-ups as they think. Really, going back to photography even, the only time you see that ratio often is in medium format and that's mainly for landscape/architecture or studio work where the benefit is primarily resolution for detail/cropping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom