Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm watching Office Space for the first time. How the hell can a 1.44MB floppy disk hold a virus big enough to bring down a company?

totally feasible. some of my company's modern programs are only ~150kb and that program was just siphoning off small amounts of money. probably not a ton of lines of code.

I've been watching a few 80s Schwarzenegger movies and realizing that I like them a lot more than I thought I would...anyone have suggestions besides the Terminators and the Running Man?

I've been watching a few 80s Schwarzenegger movies and realizing that I like them a lot more than I thought I would...anyone have suggestions besides the Terminators and the Running Man?

Aside from the Terminator movies, Predator might be his best one.
Conan the Barbarian is good (I don't remember the sequel - Conan The Destroyer - being any good). Total Recall, that's 1990 but close enough.

Those three are solid recommendations.

Besides the aforementioned, I've always really liked Commando. There's a quality knife fight towards the end. Oasis kid would not approve.

Besides the aforementioned, I've always really liked Commando. There's a quality knife fight towards the end. Oasis kid would not approve.

Hell yes, Commando's my favourite. The whole thing is perfectly ridiculous.

It's worth extending the 80s/early 90s action romping to include Stallone and Seagal too, of course.

I went for Bloodsport tonight instead of a Schwarzenegger movie. Not too bad. Forest Whitaker being in it was a nice surprise, as well as Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds haha. Also, Jean Claude had a very nice bum, just saying.

Reviewing the Reviewers:

Screening for Hacks: America's Movie Critics, Rated | Vocativ

Movie-Critics-Graphic-Full2.jpeg

Is Cassandra's Dream any good? My roommate is watching it, and I can only hear it from the other side of the room. Based on the score and the jerky scene jumps, it sounded like whatever she was watching was an old movie. I was surprised to find out otherwise, and reading the plot, it sounds interesting, at the very least. Not very like his other films.

I've learned one thing about Woody Allen's films: opinions are all over the place, and liking one doesn't mean you'll like a similar one, or disliking a film doesn't mean you'll dislike a similar one. There's no rhyme or reason, and every one of his films (even Anything Else) has its champions.

So if you really liked Match Point, it doesn't mean you'll enjoy or not enjoy Cassandra's Dream. Personally I thought it was a dark, chilling film, perhaps Woody's darkest. And for that I admire it, among other reasons.

For what it's worth, I also loved Scoop (from the same period, but very different tonally), which is also hated by many fans.

You really just have to judge them all on your own, honestly. But nothing he's made is unwatchable, so there's that.

Good points, all. She had been talking to me about this movie right after I moved in, but I had forgotten it until today. It definitely wouldn't hurt to watch.

2014 CANNES WINNERS

Palme d'Or: Winter Sleep (Nuri Bilge Ceylan)
Grand Prix: The Wonders (Alice Rohrwacher)
Jury Prize (tie): Mommy (Xavier Dolan)/Goodbye To Language (Jean-Luc Godard)
Director: Bennet Miller, Foxcatcher (Bennett Miller)
Actress: Julianne Moore, Maps To The Stars (David Cronenberg)
Actor: Timothy Spall, Mr. Turner (Mike Leigh)
Screenplay: Leviathan (Andrey Zvyagintsev)
Camera d'Or: Party Girl (Marie Amachoukeli-Barsacq,Claire Burger and Samuel Theis)

Very happy for Dolan; was hoping he'd take a higher prize but considering he's only 25 and this is his first film in the Main Competition, it's still a great honor. He will definitely be back.

Winter Sleep received mixed reviews but Ceylan's last film, Once Upon A Time In Anatolia was fantastic so it was nice to see him win.

Festival favorites the Dardennes surprisingly went home empty-handed but they've already won the Palme twice so I'm sure they're not too upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom