Random Movie Talk, Louis the XIVth Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to conceive a method of seeing Pompeii, The Wind Rises AND Non-Stop this weekend. Cinephilia is a pain in the ass.

Have to agree with Lazzle Cakes here.

But, I am hoping that Godzilla is good. THAT IS MY HOPE.

How many terrible Godzilla/Breaking Bad mashups will the internet have to endure?

Speaking of upcoming schlock, I have a need. A need for speed.

It probably won't have a significant amount of Keaton. His scenes in RoboCop were the only near-watchable parts of that boring piece of shit. I didn't watch it willingly.

After reading a couple of great interviews with Keaton in the last few months, I'm trying to hunt down some of the stuff I haven't seen.

Multiplicity is next on my list.

Night Shift is all kinds of hilarious, BTW.

When the fuck is Boyhood getting a release date? I'd been waiting for this with a growing sense of trepidation, but it's turned into unbridled enthusiasm since its premiere at Sundance (and the glowing reviews that have followed). This shit might just meet the ridiculously high expectations I've come to form of Linklater.

After reading a couple of great interviews with Keaton in the last few months, I'm trying to hunt down some of the stuff I haven't seen.

Multiplicity is next on my list.

Night Shift is all kinds of hilarious, BTW.

Multiplicity is hysterical.

When the fuck is Boyhood getting a release date? I'd been waiting for this with a growing sense of trepidation, but it's turned into unbridled enthusiasm since its premiere at Sundance (and the glowing reviews that have followed). This shit might just meet the ridiculously high expectations I've come to form of Linklater.

It's playing at SXSW next week. IFC has the rights; my guess is a summer release.

Night Shift is great. :up:

Night Shift- Prostitution scene (Michael Keaton) - YouTube

Hey Laz, Reds in 35mm is pretty great. Storaro is a master of light & shadow. I probably caught one of the re-release prints that you were talking about. I haven't seen a crowd of folks that enraptured by a film at this particular theater in ages.

I haven't seen Multiplicity since it came out, so you're trusting the opinion of a 9 year old who didn't get half of the jokes on this one here, but I loved that movie.

Hey Laz, Reds in 35mm is pretty great. Storaro is a master of light & shadow. I probably caught one of the re-release prints that you were talking about. I haven't seen a crowd of folks that enraptured by a film at this particular theater in ages.

It tends to play surprisingly well with audiences, and not that it feels like a much shorter film or anything, but I think it's very well-paced.

It tends to play surprisingly well with audiences, and not that it feels like a much shorter film or anything, but I think it's very well-paced.

It's staggeringly constructed. There are enough small moments & callbacks (Jack's never-ending stream of cabs, any encounter with Gene, anytime someone mentions that they're a "writer") made through inference and understanding of adult emotions that even at 3 hours is a lean piece of filmmaking.

The first half, if only for how it tracks Louise's introduction to Greenwich Village culture and she & Jack getting wrapped up in the throes of revolution, is my favorite. Not that I mean to diminish from the second half.

On another note, the Alamo's hosting the first non-West Coast Noir City fest this weekend. Here's what's playing. Any insights?

NOIR CITY AUSTIN | Austin | Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

Yep. Arguably cinema's greatest living/working artist at our current moment. Certainly one of the most important. A sad loss, but he had a long career, long life, hopefully a satisfying one for him. Sure seems like it may have been. He went out making films just as good as he started out too, which is insanely uncommon.

If Godard outlives Rivette and Varda as well I'm going to be pissed.

Resnais is likely my second favorite Nouvelle Vague director after the former.

And as Lance said, the guy was cranking out several essential films in his last decade of work.

I'm glad we still have one last one from him to see. Though You Aint Seen Nothing Yet would have been a fitting swansong

I only got into his filmography a couple of months ago. It didn't take long for him to become my favorite French New Wave director. RIP

Watching The Wrestler. It's really good (must not be directed by the Coen brothers..!). I obviously had Mickey Rourke and Mickey Rooney confused. I've seen Rooney cop a lot of shit, and thought it was him in this, but Rourke is great.

Marisa Tomei should be in everything, ever.

if you want Tomei, I recommend Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
A good movie for P S Hoffman and Sidney Lumet, too.

Watching The Wrestler. It's really good (must not be directed by the Coen brothers..!). I obviously had Mickey Rourke and Mickey Rooney confused. I've seen Rooney cop a lot of shit, and thought it was him in this, but Rourke is great.

Marisa Tomei should be in everything, ever.

... Are you joking? Mickey Rooney is like 90 years old!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom