Random Movie Talk IX: Insurrection? More Like Insur-SUCK-tion, Amirite???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Title should have simply been BBRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPP. Missed opportunity there.

Tubasynth makes everything better. That thought always brings me back to Tim Meadows introducing Dewey Cox to weed in Walk Hard.

On that note, can it be decided that Walk Hard, Hot Rod and The Foot Fist Way are the three most criminally underrated comedies of the last decade? They're easily in my Top 10, and if not for lack of exposure, I'd imagine they'd be in a lot of other folks' as well.

On that note, can it be decided that Walk Hard, Hot Rod and The Foot Fist Way are the three most criminally underrated comedies of the last decade? They're easily in my Top 10, and if not for lack of exposure, I'd imagine they'd be in a lot of other folks' as well.
I don't know, you know, I'm just tryin' to get some more songs on the album.

Blade Runner is definitely great for all its collaborative contributions, and Peoples has always been a good writer. That's exciting news. I've heard great things about the novel too. Good source material, the genre, the director, the script... this could come together to be a winner.

I hope this project finally gets off the ground for Ridley. Looking forward to the Alien prequels a lot too though, I hope he figures out how to slot in (and finance) The Wolf of Wall Street with DiCaprio, and it is too bad that it seems that noir project with Casey Affleck has been sedated into production limbo.

Forever War's something he needs to do as soon as possible, instead of the 10 other less-interested projects he's attached to, like you know, fucking Monopoly.

The projects I mentioned are not uninteresting, :angry:. Also, I don't think he was ever considering directing the Monopoly thing, which if you read about what it supposedly is, is pretty damn trippy.

Scott's body of work is uneven as hell, and seeing as that his two forays into science fiction are not only his best works, but pinnacles of the genre, then I'd rather him do that than roll out another American Gangster or Legend or something.

Agreed, but the Alien franchise obviously counts as returning to sci-fi, that said I did say I was looking forward to The Forever War. was hoping he'd continue trying something new with The Kind One. Also, I know people obviously have their issues with American Gangster, but it is hardly worth putting it in the same sentence as Scott's one true turd, Legend.

Also, pretty much all prolific directors are uneven, particularly ones who do not influence the writing of their movies to a high degree, and Scott seems to be in that category.

Hannibal isn't a turd?

You're right to a degree about prolific directors, but there are few from his body of work that I'd hold up to others with a comparable number. Not having seen The Duellists, would the world be worse off if the man had only made Blade Runner, Alien and Kingdom of Heaven?

Well you definitely identified the top 3. I happen to admire aspects of almost all of his work, Hannibal needed a whole new screenplay but it looks gorgeous, :shrug:. I love Matchstick Men for one, and I like BHD, Thelma and Louise, Robin Hood, Gladiator, and 1492... also, not gonna lie A Good Year is a guilty pleasure of mine. I also sadly have not seen The Duelists, I keep forgetting about it, but now you've reminded me of it and I'm putting it near the top of my Netflix queue, a lot of people hold it up among his very best.

I saw a big chunk of Body of Lies the other night. Not too good, but surprisingly engaging.

Bastard, I watched a Sopranos episode the other day directed by The BOG!

Nice! He's got a recurring role on the show, too, right?

Well you definitely identified the top 3. I happen to admire aspects of almost all of his work, Hannibal needed a whole new screenplay but it looks gorgeous, :shrug:. I love Matchstick Men for one, and I like BHD, Thelma and Louise, Robin Hood, Gladiator, and 1492... also, not gonna lie A Good Year is a guilty pleasure of mine. I also sadly have not seen The Duelists, I keep forgetting about it, but now you've reminded me of it and I'm putting it near the top of my Netflix queue, a lot of people hold it up among his very best.

Hannibal's faults aren't only with the screenplay, for starters.

Black Rain's a load of fun as well. I'm not saying that he's not talented, far from it, but I don't think his output's strong enough to warrant the acclaim he gets.

Scott with only one turd = LOL.

American Gangster was pretty fucking unmemorable. That story with that cast should have been a slam dunk. Can you imagine what Spike Lee or Scorsese would have done with it?

I didn't even bother to see Robin Hood but the trailer pretty much said it all, didn't it?

Scott has more turds that gems, I'd say, and a whole lot of just bland wish-wash in the middle. But then the project is right for him it can go really right. Alien and Blade Runner of course, Kingdom of Heaven, and damn me for saying it, but I still really enjoy Gladiator for what it's worth.

Agreed, Gladiator is a first rate crowd pleaser, but Kingdom of Heaven wipes the floor with it. But there's no way in hell the turds out number his good films, I said that Legend was the one I couldn't find anything to admire (having not seen The Duelists, Black Rain, or White Squall). I forget to mention Body of Lies, sure it's no masterpiece but it is a fun modern spy movie, and Mark Strong gives an excellent twisted performance.

I agree he's completely uneven in terms of making absolute classics, but he almost always engages me, and he's directed numerous memorable performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom