R.I.P. Roger Ebert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Roger Ebert, Legendary Film Critic, Dies : The Two-Way : NPR

Roger Ebert, the legendary film critic, died today, his long-time employer, The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting.

Ebert had been wrestling with cancer for years. He had lost his voice and his jaw, but he still kept up an unrelenting pace, reviewing more than 200 movies a year for the paper. On his blog and on twitter, he chronicled his struggle with cancer and just two days ago, he penned a post saying he was taking a "leave of presence."

:sad:

What a giant. He "created" the industry. Without him, Rotten Tomatoes would not exist.

At last Siskel and Ebert are reunited. RIP.

Holy shit, didn't even know he was sick. R.I.P.

He's had cancer for some time; he'd had his lower jaw removed (partially removed? something like that). It was just announced a day or two ago that his cancer had returned.

just recently read he took another leave of absence because of his cancer came back
I mostly remember him from

siskelandebert.jpg

Siskel and Ebert, at the Movies

It seemes there was a time when most of America watched their show along with 60 Minutes every Sunday night. Two thumbs up was a big boost for the box office.

70 years is better than many get, cancer is such a killer.

I want to say that I'm surprised, but that's only because he seemed larger than life, one of those figures that has always been a part of my life and has inspired the way I critique films myself. In truth, he's been slowly dying for a long time and it was bound to happen sooner rather than later.

He's said a lot of things I disagree with and we didn't value all of the same things, but he was a great writer and had an inspiring love for film that I have always admired. He will be missed.

Truly a giant. He pioneered real criticism of film at a time when movie 'reviews' were little more than promo pieces that recounted the plot and players. Grew up watching these guys every week to find out what the scoop was on the new movies. He coined the two thumbs up phrase it wasn't even a saying in pop culture before that.

RIP good sir. It's hard to say :down: because he fought this for the better part of the last decade and yet refused to let his cancer stop him. So for that, and his legacy of wit and brilliance in reviewing the films that we grew up on :up: :up:

Fucking lame. He was the only critic that didn't seem to let his ego get in the way of an honest review.

a lot to admire in Mr. Ebert

not a coward

Many readers have informed me that it is a tragic and dreary business to go into death without faith. I don’t feel that way. “Faith” is neutral. All depends on what is believed in. I have no desire to live forever. The concept frightens me. I am 69, have had cancer, will die sooner than most of those reading this. That is in the nature of things. In my plans for life after death, I say, again with Whitman:

I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,

If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles.

And with Will, the brother in Saul Bellow’s “Herzog,” I say, “Look for me in the weather reports.”

Raised as a Roman Catholic, I internalized the social values of that faith and still hold most of them, even though its theology no longer persuades me. I have no quarrel with what anyone else subscribes to; everyone deals with these things in his own way, and I have no truths to impart. All I require of a religion is that it be tolerant of those who do not agree with it. I know a priest whose eyes twinkle when he says, “You go about God’s work in your way, and I’ll go about it in His.”

What I expect to happen is that my body will fail, my mind will cease to function and that will be that. My genes will not live on, because I have had no children. I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes.

I read this story when it was first published, and it has been making the rounds online in the wake of his death. As a fan of Will Leitch, it was a great read, as I knew little about him during my formative years and don't listen to people who haven't earned my respect.

My Roger Ebert Story

So sad :(

I remember when Siskel died, at the next Academy Awards, the host Whoopi Goldberg mentioned him right after that in memory of part the Oscars always do. Next year, the Oscars should do the same for Ebert.

R.I.P.

So sad :(

I remember when Siskel died, at the next Academy Awards, the host Whoopi Goldberg mentioned him right after that in memory of part the Oscars always do. Next year, the Oscars should do the same for Ebert.

R.I.P.

You want Whoopi Goldberg on next years Oscars?

It'd take a super notable death for Ebert to not get the hammer in next year's In Memoriam montage.

Jive Turkey said:

Of course not. ;) Just whoever is hosting to honor Ebert.

I was reading today his website and eager for his plans for a new website to unfold. Then someone at work today said he died. :sad:

I loved his reviews for Vertigo and Citizen Kane.

Truly a giant. He pioneered real criticism of film at a time when movie 'reviews' were little more than promo pieces that recounted the plot and players. Grew up watching these guys every week to find out what the scoop was on the new movies. He coined the two thumbs up phrase it wasn't even a saying in pop culture before that.

RIP good sir. It's hard to say :down: because he fought this for the better part of the last decade and yet refused to let his cancer stop him. So for that, and his legacy of wit and brilliance in reviewing the films that we grew up on :up: :up:
Well said. I loved watching him and Gene Siskel as a kid. That show played a big part in fostering my love of film and film criticism; I'm sure it did the same for countless others. Even when he was completely wrong (he panned Blade Runner and Blue Velvet) he had an opinion worth hearing. This is a sad day for cinephiles.

I'm not sure anyone could have done that better than Ebert.

Does anyone like Jay Mariotti?

I used to be a huge fan of his Sun-Times columns in the early-mid 90's. He was highly critical of the Bulls and Bears when the rest of the city continued drinking the Kool-Aid, refusing to question anything. He led an eventually successful charge to get rid of Mike Ditka, who I always hated.

But I have to say, when he started appearing on television, he came off as a major asshole. Whatever intelligent thoughts he may have are buried deep in his own ego.

It's really weird how immune I can be to the passing of public figures/celebrities, and then how unexpectedly sad I can get every once in a while. When Heath Ledger died it bothered me for months, and, frankly, still sometimes does and I don't fully understand why. This news, the passing of Roger Ebert, has made me fairly morose today. I heard about it by overhearing two coworkers making a joke about it, and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

This post is already too long so I'll spare you the hows and whys of what Ebert meant to me, and just say that he was a very positive part of my life for a very long time. I always felt like he was able to balance a cinephile's love and knowledge of film with a common person's approach to criticism, which is not such an easy or common feat.

I'll miss him.

Of course not. ;) Just whoever is hosting to honor Ebert.

I guess this..aversion?..is based on The View? (which I don't watch)

Because her stints (especially early ones) as host of the Oscars are among the best of the best both in ratings and popular opinion. She was very good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom