R.I.P. Roger Ebert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess this..aversion?..is based on The View? (which I don't watch)

Because her stints (especially early ones) as host of the Oscars are among the best of the best both in ratings and popular opinion. She was very good.

Her last stint was not that great. She said a few funny things, and her tribute to Siskel was the best part, but not too many liked her hosting that time.

Her last stint was not that great. She said a few funny things, and her tribute to Siskel was the best part, but not too many liked her hosting that time.

I'll agree. However, Crystal had a couple of stinker years too, in the middle of his run, when he didn't perhaps really want to do it(?). He still came back and rendered his some of his best stuff post those outings. She could do the same. :shrug:

He's had cancer for some time; he'd had his lower jaw removed (partially removed? something like that). It was just announced a day or two ago that his cancer had returned.

He had thyroid cancer that later spread to his salivary glands.

There are several types of thyroid cancer: Papillary, which is the most common (about 86 of 100 cases) Follicular (about 9 of 100 cases) Medullary (2 of 100 cases) and Anaplastic (1 0f 100 cases) I was surprised when I learned Ebert had the most common and usually most survivable types of thyroid cancer, Papillary. I assumed he'd have had one of the rarer types to be hit so hard by it.

RIP.

It's really weird how immune I can be to the passing of public figures/celebrities, and then how unexpectedly sad I can get every once in a while. When Heath Ledger died it bothered me for months, and, frankly, still sometimes does and I don't fully understand why. This news, the passing of Roger Ebert, has made me fairly morose today. I heard about it by overhearing two coworkers making a joke about it, and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

This post is already too long so I'll spare you the hows and whys of what Ebert meant to me, and just say that he was a very positive part of my life for a very long time. I always felt like he was able to balance a cinephile's love and knowledge of film with a common person's approach to criticism, which is not such an easy or common feat.

I'll miss him.
Totally understand what you mean. I do generally find it odd to be deeply affected by the passing of someone I didn't actually know, but Roger Ebert's death has gotten to me on a more personal level.

I think the last celebrity death that really upset me was Adam Yauch, and that's because the Beastie Boys' music had a huge impact on me growing up. That being said, I had nothing approximating his talent or the depth of his compassionate humanitarianism.

Roger Ebert I feel I can relate to more. The title 'film critic' doesn't come close to summing up his accomplishments; still, at heart he was a film lover. I don't have his gift of deep analytical thinking or writing, but I do have a love and appreciation for movies, due in no small part to him. I never met him, but he still taught me how to think and how to watch and I'm sad that he's gone.

It's really weird how immune I can be to the passing of public figures/celebrities, and then how unexpectedly sad I can get every once in a while. When Heath Ledger died it bothered me for months, and, frankly, still sometimes does and I don't fully understand why. This news, the passing of Roger Ebert, has made me fairly morose today. I heard about it by overhearing two coworkers making a joke about it, and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

I can share that sentiment, for sure. Brittany Murphy is the one that still bothers me to this day, as far as young celebrity deaths go. It just really pains me to see her in anything now.

As for Ebert...I just don't even know what to say. I've kind of been waiting to post something in here because I wanted to get my feelings out, but it's just not happening. There has always been a love of the movies in me, and the thing that is scariest to me (and this is the case in music as well) is my taste for "older" material, meaning that the artists/actors/directors/what have you are all much older than I am. When we lose people we care about in any way, knowing them or not, it hurts. Realizing that I've now lost one of my personal "heroes" (for a long time I wanted to be a movie critic, just because I admired Ebert so much) just serves to remind me how many I've already lost (Clarence Clemons being the biggest one) and how many more I will lose in my lifetime. It just gets me thinking about death a lot, I suppose, younger though I may be.

Anyways, Rest in Peace to him, I'm truly going to miss him and can not wait to read his review for To The Wonder.

Ugh I did not realize that his funeral was going to be open to the public. I know that might be weird to some but if he was going to open to the public then I assume his fans were wanted there. It's too late for me to take the time off work now and even if I did by the time I got there I'm sure the chapel would already be full oh well I guess.

Back
Top Bottom