R.I.P. Michael Jackson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At what point is one not responsible for their own demise

Of course. And Michael was responsible for his own life too. But his father is also responsible for his behavior as a parent and his behavior now.

I can see through Joe's behavior what his son might have dealt with. Dealing with grief in odd ways is one thing-promoting crap with Al Sharpton is another.

So you find it acceptable to promote your new project when someone is trying to offer condolences on the death of your child? :huh:

He is an 80 year old man.

after watching the BET awards last night

they could sure use his new project

Joseph is currently hosting a boot camp for aspiring hip-hop artists, to change what he sees as distasteful about the genre.
"Everybody is liking rap now. I'm going to have to clean it up a little bit, all that vulgar language out there. I'm going to have to keep that clean, with nice singing in it, and great music behind it".

The O'Jays reminded everyone there was a time when groups could write and sing grest songs like "money, money, money" and 'back stabbers"

some real talent and skill .

I' d like to give old Joe a belt and turn him lose on Soulja Boy Tell 'Em

Well, a horrible childhood is the source of things going wrong in your adult life. There are people who can deal with it and find a way to overcome it and live a good life, and others can't. With MJ, it was one of the factors that determined his fate, not the only one, but in combination with everything else, his childhood experiences just shaped him and made him who he would become later in life. He's always tried to understand and love his father, but he always admitted he didn't really know him as a person and was scared of him.

He is an 80 year old man.

So? Unless he's been diagnosed with something that would make him incapable of it I would think he would still feel that's inappropriate.

Wow he's going to clean up dirty words in music. I'd rather listen to that any day than to an abusive father engaged in shameless promotion when his son is still in the morgue.

Well, a horrible childhood is the source of things going wrong in your adult life.

yes, this seems to be the consensus when considering some of Michael's behavior.

do you give the same consideration to Joseph Jackson. His horrible childhood?

That contributed to his parenting behavior of his own children?

So? Unless he's been diagnosed with something that would make him incapable of it I would think he would still feel that's inappropriate.

I am capable of having compassion and empathy for both Michael Jackson and Joseph Jackson.

Can you tell me what official diagnosis Michael Jackson had that permits you to be tolerant of his behavior?

Janet's few words and the final song that Jamie sang with_____ (fill in name, I don't know him). I'll Be There...

YouTube - Janet Jackson BET Awards 6/28/09 Michael Jackson Tribute (HQ)

That's Ne-Yo. He's written alot of songs for many artists including Janet, and can be called one of those who were directly inspired by MJ. He also covered The Lady In My Life that night and also last year.

That's fine and good for adults. But Michael had that work ethic forced on him when he was 10 years old.

Actually, from 5 years old, but your point is bang on.

Yes I know about MJ being accused of abuse. Don't know if that's true or not. Abused kids sometimes follow that path themselves.

I don't give a damn about the work ethic. It doesn't matter in the slightest when your son has died and you go out promoting crap. Have some dignity and respect. It certainly fits in with a theme of using your kids for cash cows.

This.

all the siblings got harsh treatment from the father

Michael's issues seem to be more with the rejection by the American public,
as he grew older and faded from his childhood successes.

That's baloney. Michael faded the least. The other Jacksons faded right out, well, except for Janet. Everyone has a different set of neurotransmitters and emotional makeup. You take that many siblings and heap abuse on them? The odds are that at least one will come out fucked up. I think more of them are, they just aren't in the public eye as much so less documented.

lot's of kids have strict parents, and belts and whippings were common in my generation, I am near M J's age.

See my previous comment. You aren't MJ, he isn't you. Or me. Everyone's different.

The O'Jays reminded everyone there was a time when groups could write and sing grest songs like "money, money, money" and 'back stabbers"

some real talent and skill .

Your singularly best post of this discussion.

:rolleyes:

Promoting anything when his son isn't even buried isn't one of them

I don't know the guy personally but I find that disgusting. So sue me.

I'm well aware of MJ's flaws as described in the media. I don't know what's fact and what's fiction. But I tend to believe that his father was abusive.

I don't know. I just see a sad and confused old man with a microphone in his face. I wouldn't take anything anyone in that situation says so literally. My mother is from the same generation. When she's in emotional pain she either says crazy things or changes the subject completely because a lot people from her generation learned to mask pain by saying something positive, or completely unrelated, or just nothing much at all. Joe Jackson did not appear to be a heartless bastard in that video to me. I thought he was just an old man in pain.

welcome

there is room for two

soraya.jpg

I want to honor M J's many contributions.

I just don't think bashing his father is the way to do it.

as I said before,

I am capable of having compassion and empathy for both Michael Jackson and Joseph Jackson.

I saw Joe speak on the news today
That guy does not care his son is dead
I thought it was disgusting how he was promoting some new record deal or whatever. His son died 4 days ago. He clearly is not affected at all. All he wants is $$$. No wonder Jacko was slightly tapped in the head having that shit father bringing him up.

If only Joe died long ago, jacko would have been fine

AND he was smiling like he was at some comedy gig

Animal

I think the reason we are "bashing" Joe is because he is choosing the wrong forum to promote any/all of his upcoming projects. He shouldn't be promoting anything. He should shut his mouth and allow another member of the family to speak for them. Shit, I'll take LaToya or Tito over him. And he should take Sharpton with him. Instead of Sharpton, they should have chosen Jesse Jackson to speak for the family.

I don't know. I just see a sad and confused old man with a microphone in his face. I wouldn't take anything anyone in that situation says so literally. My mother is from the same generation. When she's in emotional pain she either says crazy things or changes the subject completely because a lot people from her generation learned to mask pain by saying something positive, or completely unrelated, or just nothing much at all. Joe Jackson did not appear to be a heartless bastard in that video to me. I thought he was just an old man in pain.

I tend to agree with this. He's old, the elderly don't always communicate effectively (whether or not they've been diagnosed with some sort of dementia), and stoicism is highly valued by that generation, they don't tend to wear their hearts on their sleeves.

I'm willing to give him a pass for last night, as bizarre and tacky as it was, without completely excusing his role in the way that Michael turned out.

I was honestly wondering if he was medicated last night.

Journal Sentinel Video Player - JSOnline
A video of Stevie Wonder from last night at Summerfest here in Milwaukee.

Entertainment
SUMMERFEST REVIEW | STEVIE WONDER AND JOHN LEGEND
Expressions of the heart

Rick Wood
Stevie Wonder performs in duet with John Legend on Sunday night at Summerfest’s Marcus Amphitheater in a concert that included several emotional tributes to Michael Jackson.

By Dave Tianen of the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Jun. 29, 2009

Photo Gallery

Stevie Wonder and John Legend

Summerfest
Get all the latest on Summerfest in our special section, including:

Music reviews
Your Summerfest photos
Journal Sentinal staff photos
Quick Guides
Speaking of Summerfest blog
And more...
Schedule
See who's playing what stage when in our easy-to-read browsable list
Or, put together your own schedule of bands using our day-by-day, printable interactive music guide

One thing can be said with utter confidence. Summerfest will not witness another concert like Stevie Wonder's performance Sunday at the Marcus Amphitheater for a very long time.

It was an evening filled with genuine emotion. It was also spontaneous, unpredictable, confusing, a bit sloppy, loving - and for a few moments, quite alarming.

Wonder essentially turned his concert into a tribute to Michael Jackson. He opened his set with a little speech telling people to celebrate the joy and magic in Michael's music and ignore all the gossip and scandal.

At one point, he brought opening act John Legend on stage to join him on a duet of "Get It," one of Wonder's songs that Jackson had recorded. When they were finished, they played a tape of Jackson's hit "The Way You Make Me Feel."

Suddenly, Wonder slumped over at his keyboard. It was hard to tell what was happening. Was he ill? Was he sobbing? Even the band seemed confused and unsure of what to do.

After some long moments, Wonder's daughter Aisha Morris came over and appeared to comfort him. It seemed as though the concert might be over.

But then Wonder rallied and plunged into a rhythm number without explaining exactly what had happened.

Perhaps 20 minutes and several songs later, he stopped and told the audience: "I am not ashamed to express my heart. Don't be afraid to express your heart."

He then brought Legend on again to join in a new song he had just written and planned to donate to the Jackson family. The title, apparently "In the Arms of God," is a celebration that Michael is now at peace.

From there, the set segued somewhat awkwardly into a medley of greatest hits such as "My Cherie Amour," "Uptight," "For Once in My Life" and "Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours." When the set list got to "Superstition," Wonder changed the chorus to lead a sing-along of "We love you, Michael, We'll see you in heaven."

Critically, what can you say about a performance like that? Anyone who witnesses Wonder for even a little while realizes he is a truly sweet, tender-hearted man. He is also sometimes seems almost childlike in his naiveté. Without in any way minimizing the tragedy or sadness of Jackson's life and death, there were troubling aspects to his life that go beyond gossip-mongering.

That said, this is probably not the time for hard truths. The night ended with Wonder and the band dancing on stage for a long, taped medley of Jackson's hits.

Legend is the most compelling young urban stylist of the last decade, and a superb writer and pianist to boot. Unfortunately, the Summerfest date catches him in the aftermath of his weakest album, "Evolver." Yet there were plenty of bright spots from the first two albums to redeem Legend's set.

Review of show

Stevie Wonder apparently also moonwalked 2 times :)

Joe Jackson is an idiot and has been for the 50 years hes been riding on the coat tails of his children.

FOX is re-airing the American Idol Michael Jackson episode tonight. It's from 8 to 10.

It's a little late for east coasters, sorry.

Pictures from just 2 days before his passing at rehearsal. Good lord, he still had it. You can just see it even a still photo. You can't fake that or learn it. It was just in him. I'm guessing the last pic. might have been a "Smooth Criminal" rehearsal. It looks similar to his outfit in the video.

Michael Jackson Concert Rehearsal | TMZ.com

This makes me so sad. :sad:

And Joe Jackson is nothing but a vile piece of shit.

I want to post one of my fav youtube vids that ive came across recently for MJ...this shows how polite he was to others as well as his under rated angelic type voice. I do hope that U2 put a small tribute to MJ in the new concerts it wouldnt be complete without it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0IweJ0g39I

yes, this seems to be the consensus when considering some of Michael's behavior.

I don't deny that. I'm sure there were things in Joe's childhood and youth that led to him becoming the man he is today.

I know it's probably far-fetched and I don't want to go into my personal life too much but I know from experience that people having a tough childhood later on can become very hard and cold people and unable to show emotions. I experienced this with my own father. He wasn't beating me or my brother but he was unable to show emotions and was very hard, and all of us, including my mother, suffered tremendously because of that. And in MJ's case, there was a lot of physical AND psychological violence. No excuse for everying Michael has done, but one way to understand why he became what he became.

Back
Top Bottom