R.I.P. Michael Jackson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When does the next Rolling Stone come out? My friend works at a bookstore, so I bet I can get him to snag me a fresh copy.

I thought about People magazine, too. That comes out today I think.

0627_michael_jackson_time_ex.jpg

What a great, natural and respectful cover. This is the Michael I want to remember in this time.

RIP Michael Jackson. You were truly one of a kind.

It's definitely coming out that people were using him all these years. He really never had a chance with leeches and bloodsuckers around him. I'm so sad for the life he lead. I'm also sad for his kids and family because his lawyers and the people he hung around with are giving them a hard time.

Whatever people say about him.... most of us can see why he was the way he was. I wasn't an uber fan, but I did love him and appreciated his talent so much! Still do probably more now. My gawd, how he could move.

My take on his life; since he was alledgedly abused from the time he was a little boy, I believe all the negative crap that dogged him is a direct result of that without a doubt! He hated himself, it's like he wanted to erase who he was, and that's exactly what he did.
I am also feeling for those people around him who were truly his friends, that really did try to help him, but somehow failed. They must feel so incredible awful just like LMP said. And to those who didn't try to help him, well that's not for me to judge although I am so puzzled and don't know how people could stand by and watch (allegedly) as his inner circle inabled his addictions. It's just disgusting.

So sad. :sad: RIP Michael. What a talent you were. Dance with the angels, and shine down some joy on this sad sad world.

People wanted to destroy him as they could not take it the most famous person ever was black (for the most part)

I watched CNN off and on yesterday, and caught Larry King Live (say what you will about his declining interviewing skills, but industry people seem to flock to his show to speak when something like this happens). Some of the guests were Miko Brando (Marlon's son), who was a close friend of Michael's, and was with him at his rehearsal the night before he died, Deepak Chopra (another close friend), Quincy Jones on the phone, Liza Minelli and Usher via satellite from Paris. And just after that, Sanjay Gupta and Drew Pinsky were speaking on Anderson Cooper's show, along with Barry Gordy.

Anyway, Miko said that MJ seemed healthy and strong and happy at the rehearsal, and that the rehearsals were coming along very well. Deepak (who had gotten to know MJ in a spiritual guidance capacity and then became close friends) spoke out and said that MJ had been abusing prescription painkillers for a long time, and had been enabled by various people in his life, including physicians. He also went on to say that MJ had approached him and asked him to write a prescription for a drug (Deepak is an MD), and that Deepak refused and tried to discuss his problem with him. He said that MJ refused to listen, and that after that, he was cut out of MJ's life for a while. Larry asked Miko if he was aware of any of this, and Miko said no, but just in the way that he said it, it seemed to me that he probably was, but didn't want to admit it - perhaps to protect his friend, perhaps out of guilt for not doing something about it. Deepak went on to talk about what a huge problem the abuse of prescription medication is, and that something has to be done about it.

Later when Drew Pinsky came on, he confirmed what Deepak said about prescription medication, and said that there seems to be many doctors who kind of attain fame by extension by joining the entourage of various celebrities, and that they're willing to write prescriptions for just about anything, in order to stay within the inner circle of the celebrity.

Anyway, the whole thing sounds fucked up and sad and terrible. Some of his close friends sound like they're in denial, but some are starting to speak out. Maybe something positive will come out of this.

I've always said alot of doctors, psychiatrists in particular, are nothing more than legalized drug pushers. They can talk about abuse all they want, but someone had to write that first prescription for something that likely could have been explored further as a possible situation where a natural alternative might be better. I'm almost convinced the doctors around him have his blood on their hands

I watched CNN off and on yesterday, and caught Larry King Live (say what you will about his declining interviewing skills, but industry people seem to flock to his show to speak when something like this happens). Some of the guests were Miko Brando (Marlon's son), who was a close friend of Michael's, and was with him at his rehearsal the night before he died, Deepak Chopra (another close friend), Quincy Jones on the phone, Liza Minelli and Usher via satellite from Paris. And just after that, Sanjay Gupta and Drew Pinsky were speaking on Anderson Cooper's show, along with Barry Gordy.

Anyway, Miko said that MJ seemed healthy and strong and happy at the rehearsal, and that the rehearsals were coming along very well. Deepak (who had gotten to know MJ in a spiritual guidance capacity and then became close friends) spoke out and said that MJ had been abusing prescription painkillers for a long time, and had been enabled by various people in his life, including physicians. He also went on to say that MJ had approached him and asked him to write a prescription for a drug (Deepak is an MD), and that Deepak refused and tried to discuss his problem with him. He said that MJ refused to listen, and that after that, he was cut out of MJ's life for a while. Larry asked Miko if he was aware of any of this, and Miko said no, but just in the way that he said it, it seemed to me that he probably was, but didn't want to admit it - perhaps to protect his friend, perhaps out of guilt for not doing something about it. Deepak went on to talk about what a huge problem the abuse of prescription medication is, and that something has to be done about it.

Later when Drew Pinsky came on, he confirmed what Deepak said about prescription medication, and said that there seems to be many doctors who kind of attain fame by extension by joining the entourage of various celebrities, and that they're willing to write prescriptions for just about anything, in order to stay within the inner circle of the celebrity.

Anyway, the whole thing sounds fucked up and sad and terrible. Some of his close friends sound like they're in denial, but some are starting to speak out. Maybe something positive will come out of this.

I was watching parts of LK and AC too. That was very enlightening what Dr. Chopra said and so sad that MJ was so addicted he pushed people away that were trying to help him.
What I don't get is why they didn't do an intervention. A real one. Not , "I'm a celebrity and I'm going to rehab for publicity" stunt. I know they showed a clip of MJ saying he was going in to rehab for addiction to prescription drugs....obviously it didn't work. :sad:

I've always said alot of doctors, psychiatrists in particular, are nothing more than legalized drug pushers. They can talk about abuse all they want, but someone had to write that first prescription for something that likely could have been explored further as a possible situation where a natural alternative might be better. I'm almost convinced the doctors around him have his blood on their hands

Well, in all fairness, I think that psychiatrists would rarely prescribe prescription painkillers, it would usually be GPs.

Anyway, your point was discussed as well. Deepak wanted to discuss natural ways of coping with pain with him, but MJ didn't want to hear about that. Pinsky said that there are two competing schools of thought in the medical profession when dealing with pain. One is to treat the patient with medications, the reasoning being that the meds are available, and it's not the right of the doctor to withhold meds that will ease their pain; the other is to find more natural methods of coping with the pain. Pinsky also brought up the point that it's difficult enough to treat a person for addiction that wants to be helped, never mind trying to fix someone who doesn't want help or who doesn't think they have a problem.

:up: I'm just saying the medical profession has a 'prescribe first' attitude and that's how patients get hooked. You're right, psychiatrists wouldn't be dealing in painkillers, but psychopharmaceutical administration is just about the only function of most psychiatrists nowadays. Anyways that's an aside. I'm really wondering just how much this doctor who was willing to administer drugs that perhaps other doctors had refused, even knew about the other drugs Michael had been taking and how they would all interact. Alot of speculation, but I just don't see him dropping dead of cardiac arrest so suddenly. From what I understand cardiac arrest is either caused by something or is part of an electrical problem that develops (or one is born with). Heart attack is the one that catches you suddenly...or do I have that wrong?

:up: I'm just saying the medical profession has a 'prescribe first' attitude and that's how patients get hooked. You're right, psychiatrists wouldn't be dealing in painkillers, but psychopharmaceutical administration is just about the only function of most psychiatrists nowadays. Anyways that's an aside. I'm really wondering just how much this doctor who was willing to administer drugs that perhaps other doctors had refused, even knew about the other drugs Michael had been taking and how they would all interact. Alot of speculation, but I just don't see him dropping dead of cardiac arrest so suddenly. From what I understand cardiac arrest is either caused by something or is part of an electrical problem that develops (or one is born with). Heart attack is the one that catches you suddenly...or do I have that wrong?

No, I think that's pretty accurate. From what I've heard over the past few days, cardiac arrest basically means that there's some electrical interference that causes the heart to stop, and that can be caused by myriad reasons. They said that sometimes the cause is never found.

Also in the Pinsky/Gupta discussion, they talked about "doctor shopping," where one gets medications prescribed by various doctors who have no knowledge of what the others have prescribed. They said it's extremely difficult to check for that. I guess there's been talk of setting up a national database for narcotic pain killer prescriptions, but nothing's ever come of that.

There was also speculation as to why he'd have a doctor living with him in the first place, when he seemed to be healthy of late. They also mentioned his medical exam for insurance purposes for the tour, that he supposedly got through with flying colours. One of them suggested that most insurance exams are cursory at best, and someone also speculated that the in house doctor could have been a condition of insurance. I'm sure a lot of it will become more clear in the coming days and weeks.

Still in shock. :sad: The UK Papers are wall to wall Jacko again today, and I suspect they will be for weeks to come. :sad:

I found it very sad on the other thread about some people just attacking him and focusing on the "alleged" kid sex stuff. We are not in possession of the facts? so who the hell are we to judge? Personally I think it is down to the kids parents, they blew everything out of proportion as they saw £$£$£$ from a story. I don't believe MJ was that way for one single moment. But that is only my opinion. My other opinion is that the US seemed to turn their backs on him at that time, whereas we still kept him close to our hearts.

Only his maker knows for a fact, and he is the one judging him now. So people need to focus on the talent he had, and not what sold millions of papers and made a kids family very rich thank you very much! MJ said he was innocent and I believe him. He lost almost everything because of that.

The boy man was an absolute genius. Unless you have ever seen him live, you really do not have much room to comment on his lack of talent!. I saw him, and was ambivalent to his talent before I walked into Wembley Stadium all those years ago. I came out blown away by his talent and his showmanship, and a bit in love with him actually, as he had the whole crowd eating out of his hands and hanging on every word! Genius. :ohmy: Bad side, was my mum was also there (God rest her soul) and she learned to Moonwalk watching him on stage, that became her party trick. I only got rid of her moonboots last year when she died.

I have seen every U2 show in London since 1982, and not one betters MJ, and that REALLY says something! As U2 are the best group on the planet IMHO. He just had that extra something, that I just could not put my finger on...... Charisma I think? :hmm: And that Too really says something, when I could happily jump on stage, drag Bono off it and ... :evil:

So much so, there is not a place I have been, or people I have met since he died that the main topic of conversation hasn't been MJ. Also, all I am hearing on the radio or shops or cars driving past is MJ songs, such is the power and love of MJ over here. :love:

There isn't a UK forum that I am a member of that there is not a topic about MJ. He was deffinately what we would call the "Marmite" effect, you either loved him or you hated him. He was the brightest star of my generation, and the night sky seems just that little bit darker now he has gone :sad:

It's fucked up. I'm listening to all this music from the start on up, and I still can't believe it.

:up:

We had an MJ "video party" last night. It was fun. :)

I forgot to say earlier, thanks to Tiger Edge for posting the tribute pics, and the video. The video is awesome, especially the reaction of the two guys who got on the train halfway through.

Also to whoever mentioned how happy he looked in earlier days, I noted the same thing last night while watching Thriller. In the scenes where he and the girl are walking down the street, and he's dancing around her, sort of teasing her with the zombie stories part of the song, he's smiling and happy and looks so playful. I really enjoyed seeing that. My former in-laws used to have a The Making of Thriller documentary. I'd love to see that again.

Eta - oh yeah, just wanted to mention this, too, which I think someone alluded to earlier. While watching the Smooth Criminal video, my daughter said "holy shit, Justin Timberlake basically stole everything from Jackson and should be paying him royalties for the costumes, the moves, etc." :lol:

. We are not in possession of the facts?

That's a funny thing, the facts. Because what everyone heard and is calling 'evidence' is what the police decided to tell the media who then went on their warpath. The facts are what were analyzed, dissected, and heard in court. The facts are what led to him being acquitted. :up:

PS I agree with your post, btw :up:

I hope that issue of Time will be sent to subscribers as well. I got my usual weekly edition today in the mail. The latest Rolling Stone (The Brothers Jonai on the cover) is a double issue, so it might be a while before their tribute issue comes on, unless they're going to rush a special edition, which wouldn't surprise me.

I blasted my Essential Michael Jackson CD this morning while cleaning, and had a grand time singing and dancing. That is some fine, fine pop music (even if I did start skipping tracks once we got to Bad and the later albums).

One of the radio stations said they're going to have some sort of gathering tomorrow, some sort of mass Moonwalk or something. If it means a lot of people hanging out and dancing to MJ tunes, I might actually have to go to that. That sounds like something I'd like to do. When they showed a clip of the crowd in London yesterday singing and dancing to Thriller, I thought that was amazing. I love stuff like that.

On one hand, MSNBC is showing that interview that he did with Martin Bashir, and it's obvious that he and his life had become very disconnected from reality. It's very disturbing.

On the other hand, CNN is showing music/videos from The Jackson 5 era, Off The Wall and Thriller and it's great.

I think that dichotomy is what is so hard to wrap my head around. I'm glad that we'll always have his work.

I love that video of people singing on the subway.

Lisa Marie Presley said they were 'two people who never had a real life who found a connection.' He slipped further from reality until he was gone.

I see the family is suspicious of the concert promoter and wants a second opinion autopsy.

I would be wary of anything on wikipedia- a horrible edit war has been going on and his article is protected, and at one point the site almost crashed due to people editing at once. I have never done his article, but I have done others, and I can tell you that all it takes to get something in the article is to find a source for it- a source that may not even be accurate, such a magazine quoting someone who is lying, or just rumors. Then somebody else comes in and says, no, it was this way and I have the source, and then someone deletes what they put, and on and on. It is not an accurate source of info and should not be taken as the truth for these reasons.

I do not believe he got his first operation due to breathing problems. Nope. David Coverdale had breathing problems and got surgery, it does not change the outer appearance of your nose, it's all internal. I also do not believe he had vitilgo, because it comes in splotches and does not cover your entire body. I think he bleached his skin intentionally. That and the fact he chose to have children by white women makes me wonder why some black people haven't turned on him for betraying his heritage. Vitilgo also takes the pigmentation from your eyes and hair, and and you can see this didn't happen to him.

I don't mean to rag on him, no matter what, he was a tragic story and I"m sorry he had to go the way he did. But now he's forever one of the famous 'dead rock stars' and will live forever.

One of the radio stations said they're going to have some sort of gathering tomorrow, some sort of mass Moonwalk or something. If it means a lot of people hanging out and dancing to MJ tunes, I might actually have to go to that. That sounds like something I'd like to do. When they showed a clip of the crowd in London yesterday singing and dancing to Thriller, I thought that was amazing. I love stuff like that.

See how we can never guess what would tickle our fellow Interferencers? I would have never guessed that. No substantial reason why, just wouldn't have. I'm with you on this! I hope Toronto has one! :up:

I also do not believe he had vitilgo, because it comes in splotches and does not cover your entire body. I think he bleached his skin intentionally. That and the fact he chose to have children by white women makes me wonder why some black people haven't turned on him for betraying his heritage. Vitilgo also takes the pigmentation from your eyes and hair, and and you can see this didn't happen to him.

Of course it comes in splotches, I have a family member with it. Unlike Michael, however, he doesn't have unlimited $ and a horde of doctors telling him he can even it out one way or the other. Also, rightly or wrongly, black people do bleach their skin, it's quite common - there's only hundreds of dancehall reggae songs that address the issue (not going to get into why they do it). Frankly, I also don't see what you mean by his hair or eyes, for all you know he could've been coloring his hair - wait - he definitely was - and wearing contacts. He was reclusive and shunned the public eye for years, you have no idea what went on when he wasn't veiled or heavily made up for the public eye, really.

Finally, I find your comment about choosing to have children with white women as being even remotely part of some "evidence" of him betraying his heritage revolting and offensive. Some black people did say he was betraying his heritage. They are idiots. :down:

See how we can never guess what would tickle our fellow Interferencers? I would have never guessed that. No substantial reason why, just wouldn't have. I'm with you on this! I hope Toronto has one! :up:

Oh, I'm all about shared experiences revolving around music. As long as it's music I like. ;)

at least now that hes able to be anywhere he wants, whenever he wants, he gets a chance to leave that body of his

his hideously disfigured body

the general consensus if hes probably chosen to go wherever he wants to go in the form of what he looked like when he was that 13 year old boy

has anyone heard anything from Janet at this point? ie...where she is...or a statement from her? I am sure she is just devasted:sad:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom