Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Zoo Station
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #646
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRKeyintheUSA View Post
I don't know what it was, but it was on Larry King last night. The judge was a baldheaded white guy, they showed him. Maybe it was just commentary, but that's what he said.

Thanks for the info. I wonder why they chose AOH?
I have no idea. Bono mentioned having a lot of conversations or seeing Michael a lot over the years, something along the lines. Maybe he'd mentioned liking the song or something like that?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:25 AM   #647
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRKeyintheUSA View Post
I wonder why they chose AOH?
This is why

Wikipedia:
The Jackson 5 had a number of admirers in their early days, including Sam & Dave, who helped the group secure a spot in the famous Amateur Night competition at the Apollo Theater in Harlem. The group won the August 13, 1967, competition during the Amateur Night showdown at the Apollo, impressing Motown Records artist Gladys Knight. Knight recommended the group to Motown chief Berry Gordy...

Old 07-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #648
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 11:51 PM
It's been about a week or so since I last visited this thread but I just wanted to add my thoughts about his memorial service last week. I was listening to it on the radio where they had Paul Gabaccini commentating like it was a weird sports event. Some of his comments were so random: "I've met Usher twice", "I don't know where the toilets are, I suppose they will be holding it in throughout the ceremony" and "Simon Cowell will be pleased". WTF? Then we had Mariah Carrey warbling. I hate Mariah Carrey. I don't like her voice, it sounds like someone bending a wire.

On the news afterwards there was an utterly tasteless report on it. The reporter was comparing his funeral to Princess Diana's funeral. Diana: hoards of weeping mouners outside the church. MJ: crowds of weeping fans. Diana: one superstar celebrity performing called Elton John. MJ: a few more singers performing at the service. Final score: Diana 2 Michael Jackson 3. Then Michael will go on to meet Tuten Karmen in the final.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #649
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
This is why

Wikipedia:
The Jackson 5 had a number of admirers in their early days, including Sam & Dave, who helped the group secure a spot in the famous Amateur Night competition at the Apollo Theater in Harlem. The group won the August 13, 1967, competition during the Amateur Night showdown at the Apollo, impressing Motown Records artist Gladys Knight. Knight recommended the group to Motown chief Berry Gordy...
I was thinking that too. It is of course technically where the got their start, but the Jackson 5 or Michael was never based/lived there, so I didn't know if that was U2's reasoning for playing AOH. It makes sense though.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #650
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 11:51 PM
the BET awards were rather stupid and good at the same time. This was because first someone would say something profound and I felt emotional. Then this same person would say something proposterous and I would swing the other way and get really cross at this idiot. I felt as though I was on malaria tablets. I was going to ring up and complain about whatever it was that was obstructing my view until I realized that it was the reflection from the shadow of my arm because I was flapping them about so much.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #651
Blue Crack Addict

It looks like MJ will be the top selling artist of 2009...not surprising.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #652
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:51 PM
YouTube - Michael Jackson Pepsi Commercial Accident - Jackson Hair on Fire!

That was crazy
Old 07-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #653
Refugee

I saw that Pepsi video last night an it was disturbing and sad at the same time too. That lead to his addiction to pain killers and his many surgeries.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #654
ONE
love, blood, life

^Well, he'd definitely had a nose job or 2 before that. Thriller came out a couple years before the Pepsi commercial, and his nose looked much different even then as opposed to his pre Off The Wall days. They say he had his first nose job as early as 79 because he fell onstage during a Jackson 5 show and had to have surgery to fix the damage to his nose.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:05 AM   #655
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
When I saw that on the news it just makes me sick, thank God all those guys jumped in and helped him. Who knows what this made him feel afterwards, it seems he didn't know for about 90% of that.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #656
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 12:51 AM
watched the edited Bashir interview again last night, at times MJ comes across sweet and others he is stressed/hyper.

of course they edited out his boy pal at time.

but I have to say seeing this man walk round his 'favourite store' - made me wonder, how many times he had gone in, what happened to when a room had too much stuff - if ever - its amazing seeing him pick two vases at half a million quid each.

I mean, really.

but a bit stressful watching him feed Blanket with, literally, a blanket over his head, while a hyper MJ tries to calm with agitated leg movement (okay, to calm baby)
his whole tone of voice was annoyance too. the accusations of course of baby over balcony.

ah well.

but sad to see him deny all the surgery.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #657
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1 View Post
watched the edited Bashir interview again last night, at times MJ comes across sweet and others he is stressed/hyper.

of course they edited out his boy pal at time.

but I have to say seeing this man walk round his 'favourite store' - made me wonder, how many times he had gone in, what happened to when a room had too much stuff - if ever - its amazing seeing him pick two vases at half a million quid each.

I mean, really.

but a bit stressful watching him feed Blanket with, literally, a blanket over his head, while a hyper MJ tries to calm with agitated leg movement (okay, to calm baby)
his whole tone of voice was annoyance too. the accusations of course of baby over balcony.

ah well.

but sad to see him deny all the surgery.
Blanket looks like him i wonder if he was his bioligical dad ? His eyes look like MJ's.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #658
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:51 AM
Yeh I watched the Bashir thing again last night too. Was hard to watch him get so upset about the beatings his father used to give them

He sure looked agitated at the end, especially with Blanket. I wonder if it was the drugs, if there is truth in that one?

He sure was fairly good looking in some of them pictures behind where he was sitting. One thing for sure, he may not have loved himself very much, but he dotted on them kids!

I agree with you Abycka, if any of them are to be his kids I would say Blanket is, he does look like him. But he reckons all of them are from his sperm cells, but I wonder how much of that was BS? seeing as he denied having plastic surgery.

The Pepsi commercial made me feel sick. There is NO WAY his hair would have grown back there again The pain must have been out of this world! (Thinking about when I burnt my hand once, that hurt like crap)
Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #659
ONE
love, blood, life

You gotta hand it to the Jackson brothers! They sure do know how to capitalize on their meal ticket's tragic death. They must have learned from the best: dear, old, Dad.

http://www.tmz.com/2009/07/17/michae...son-5-jamiaca/
Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #660
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:51 PM

Tags
michael jackson