R.I.P. Michael Jackson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"wasnt nothing strage 'bout your daddy" I believe he said. I thought the matter of fact way he said it made it much more poignant. I thought it was classy of him to address the kids directly

Sharton - Jermaine - Paris

most moving parts for me.

I was 10 year's old at my mother's service, I was too numb to cry.

I guess Janet didn't have the strength.

I could barely carry my sister's casket, yet alone speak at her service.

Hey Deep I know what you mean, I have lost too many family and friends to count and had to do eulogies and then I said to myself this is just hard too hard to continue doing these things.

What makes Micheal Jackson so special to me is that I did not know him personally and he is not a part of my family or a direct friend. He is somebody we all have seen for so long and we all make our opinions or judgments throughout the years and finally after his death we deal with it. But I feel for myself it's easier to grieve and celebrate his life and music because I didn't know him personally.

When my best friends and family died from drugs and suicides and cancer, I feel absolutely numb and I find myself unable to grieve or cry because my brain is in comlete shock and I can't handle it and it shuts off.

I know it sounds strange or bad but it's too much for me to handle. Our own parents and family members and friends dying is so direct and carrying the casket etc is too real to me. I convinve myself in some weird way they are not dead (I know this is wrong because people need to grieve) But what happens with me is that one day out of the blue I have a wave of emotion and cry for days and finally mourn.

When my best friend died I did not grieve or cry then 2 years later when I was on a vacation to Hawaii I was sitting in the morning in a bar and something happened I didn't know what was happenning, I felt a wave of emotion and I got out of there and started walking back to the hotel I felt started crying like crazy. People saw me cry walking down the street but I couldn't stop, I got back to the hotel and I couldn't stop crying for hours.

I don't know maybe I don't make any sense but to me when someone I like who means a great deal to me like MJ but I don't know them personally it's easier to grieve and especially when many others also are grieving. But when it's a family or friend it's so unreal and so diffilcult I just can't move on I just feel numb and I won't belive it. It's too strange, I know it.

I saw Al Sharpton, John Mayer, Brooke, and Jermaine.....I actually got teary eyed with Jermaine...he did a GREAT job...I do not know how he did that.....I did not see Paris....what did she say? I would have lost it I am sure:sad:

It definitely made me tear up. :sad: If I had watched it again, I would have cried.

I woke up late at 10:45am PST, I had tried to stay awake but at 8 am I fell back asleep.

I didn't realize the kids were there then I saw Paris and sitting next to Katherine I really started to feel emotional and sad, but so happy at the same time.

She looked so great a young respectful girl who seemed to know what was happening around her. She even got up for standing ovation before others around her did for certain speakers it really hit my heart so much, I think she is beyond her years. And then I saw the kids singing at the end with the rest of the celebs and other kids and it made me happy.

Then at the end when Paris talked about her father it made me cry so much it was the most emotional moment of that memorial to me, and seeing her older brother Prince Michael reach out to console her made me cry too. To think that is the first time MJ's kid said something in the media at such a young age too made me cry and gives me hope for their future and the Jackson family future and legacy of MJ.

So does Steven Tyler & Chris Botti.
there are probably 200- 330 covers of it.

my favorite goes back to a girlfriend that would come over with a case of beer and a couple of packs of cigarettes
then she would put on 'best of Tony Bennett'
she knew the back story to every song, told me Chaplin composed Smile
we would drink
and dance
and smoke
and ........
until the sun came up.

Hey Deep .....

I don't know maybe I don't make any sense but to me when someone I like who means a great deal to me like MJ but I don't know them personally it's easier to grieve and especially when many others also are grieving. But when it's a family or friend it's so unreal and so diffilcult I just can't move on I just feel numb and I won't belive it. It's too strange, I know it.

you are making perfect sense

at 10 I could not cry for my mother, I wanted to, everyone else was, I tried, I felt guilty for not crying. I still have not cried. I can't remember her. That is how I survived it.

I fell on the floor and wept went my sister died. I was 36 then.

Seeing Paris was hard, each time the clip plays, I get tears.

you are making perfect sense

at 10 I could not cry for my mother, I wanted to, everyone else was, I tried, I felt guilty for not crying. I still have not cried. I can't remember her. That is how I survived it.

I fell on the floor and wept went my sister died. I was 36 then.

Seeing Paris was hard, each time the clip plays, I get tears.

I was 22 when my father died and I did not cry at the funeral. I grieved privately.

When my best friend died 8 years ago I couldn't stop crying. I still cry.

I've teared up seeing the Paris clip each time, too. Just gut-wrenching.

It was touching to see both Anderson Cooper and Larry King reflect on what it was like to lose their fathers at a young age and what the Jackson kids will face in the coming weeks/months/years.

Wow. I didn't watch the memorial, don't think I could have handled it today, so I made myself busy instead. But reading the news and all of your posts, it sounds absolutely heart-wrenching. It's like...he was my generation's Elvis. I actually remember Elvis's death, and think for my young years I had a fairly good grasp of the cultural significance of it, but it didn't...move me.

So tonight, I'm several glasses of wine in, and watching his videos, and celebrating him, in a way that makes me happy. Hopefully they'll put out the memorial in some form that I can watch it later. RIP MJ, thanks for the great tunes and the memories. :heart: And love and comfort to his family.

You've been hit by...a smooth criminal.

Indeed.

Yeah. I was able to watch it for like 5 seconds....

I'm shocked that she spoke. She must have really wanted to. I only got a few seconds in before I had to turn it off. I want to hug her. :sad: :hug:

No kid should ever have to go through that.

I saw it as her choice. She said something to Janet and it looked like Janet said something like 'are you sure' and then she nodded and said yes...most of what was going on at that point was spontaneous, I think they would have rather said less but, like most funerals, people need to be given a chance to put a voice to their grief. I feel so sorry for her, I hope she'll get the support she needs from the family or someone who really cared for her as much as it appears Michael did.

I saw it as her choice. She said something to Janet and it looked like Janet said something like 'are you sure' and then she nodded and said yes...most of what was going on at that point was spontaneous, I think they would have rather said less but, like most funerals, people need to be given a chance to put a voice to their grief. I feel so sorry for her, I hope she'll get the support she needs from the family or someone who really cared for her as much as it appears Michael did.

Yeah. I'm a fan although I realize his freakzoidness, but to her and her siblings he was just "dad." I lost my dad way too soon, too, although not as early as her and her siblings. And I'm currently coming to terms with my mother's illness...I guess it just struck a nerve, and I can relate to her, in a way. It kind of hits a nerve, and makes all this hard to watch, in a weird way,

I guess what I'm saying is, I applaud her strength...I'm not sure I'd have it, in her position.

Just wanna get something off my chest...so bear with me.

You know....I'm a school teacher. I love children. I'm a big kid myself. Would I let a kid sleep in my bed...no. Did Michael make bad decisions...YES! Is it easy for someone to slander someone like myself who works with kids....YES! Would someone think I'm guilty because of allegations. For sure! Let's compile the fact the possibility that I'm rich and someone just wants an out of court settlement to make a movie "Men in Tights"? Heck...you think Jacko molests his kids too? pffffft.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever been the victim of an allegation before? I have...but that's another story. Let's just say that it almost ruined me to the very core....and I was innocent but treated like a guilty person.

I'm jaded. I'm a 37 year old black man who went to the Victory Tour concert in 1984 when I was 12. I bought, breathed, and lived MJ when I was younger. I remember sitting with my family and watching the Thriller video when it was first shown on Much Music.

Aren't all of our heros tragic in some way? Music wise......Kurt Kobain....Elvis....Jim Morrison......Hendrix........Marley?

MJ made production the way it is....videos...music....performance...and perfected it. And for me...this was during at crucial point in my childhood and being able to watch these award shows and seeing a guy with the same colour skin as me clean up and win. He was half man half amazing. He made me believe that I could do whatever I put my mind to. The man demonstrated LOVE!

Ok...so he changed his skin colour....he secluded himself to Neverland. There are some aspects that are strange. Fame, fortune, and success does do strange things to people with most hardcore values.

I'm glad and happy he experienced his fame and fortune....

I know the younger generation only saw Wacko Jacko.....but I'm tired of defending him and other people.

I bawled like a baby today. My wife came home and I was in tears. The funeral put me over the edge. I wasn't sad that...oh no...he's gone. I'm sad because the world lost another musical artist that I adore. The shows in London would have been off the hook.

When I was a kid, I wanted to BECOME Micheal Jackson and so did a ton of other peeps my age. I remember asking if I could have Jheri Curls when I was younger. Thank god she said no......

Fall from greatness I will agree. He didn't stay hot right up to his final days....but he set some industry standards that you can't deny.

One of the things that the memorial talked about today was the fact that blacks, whites, latinos, and asians all fell in love with the music this man was making....and in essence, united those folks in the process. To me....that's a beautiful thing. But I'm just a sap.

All I know...when I hear the first three beats of "Wanna Be Starting Something".....

mutherfuckas better get outta my way, cause I'm headed to the dancefloor.!

RIP my dear, dear Michael. I watched every moment of your tribute today and I am truly touched to have witnessed you perform when I was younger.

As far as full entertainer goes, I doubt I will ever see another of your kind in my lifetime. You are the king.

I agree..MJ was the greatest entertainer of all time. I, too, watched this morning from the time they loaded his casket in the back of that hearse until they left Staples Center. I was pretty much in tears from the time Mariah came out until the end, too. I am not ashamed to admit I am a big sap as well.
I can't help but feel confused by comments that it was a circus, I thought it was handled very respectfully, aside from a few of the 'shout outs' during but for the most part, the fans inside were appropriate. Yes, the media goes overboard but it's their job.

I thought the songs/tributes were beautiful, and the words spoken were spoken from the heart. These were people that knew Michael, and the fact they chose to share their feelings with the world was to me, an incredibly touching and selfless act. The Jackson family knows how much Michael meant to the world. They could have held a private ceremony but they gave the world one last part of MJ to hold onto, knowing so many needed it.
They have amazing strength for holding their composure the way they did. I still can't figure out how Jermaine got through 'Smile'. It was so moving, my heart was breaking. I am not overly religious, but I will say May God Bless them all, especially those beautiful children.

Hi SolaceVIP,

I'm a brown boy and like you said about the memorial talking about different races all liking his music really hit a chord with me too, his songs were out to unite every race and help all the children of the world. I think we should listen to the children sometimes and ask them if they like his music it seems they hear things without judgments or walls like us adults seem to do.

I can understand why you're jaded after having something like that happen to you. I have never had any accusation against me but I don't work in schools or anything that might be a more easier place for someone to accuse me of something.

I'm 38 and getting Thriller cd when it came out was incredible, everybody loved it as you know. :) Seeing Billy Jean on tv was such a higlight of the 80's for me it really affected me in what and how I felt about music. I started playing rock guitar many years later and I think Thriller made realize that music can be mixed, it doesn't have to be rock or pop or r&b excluslively, I think that's one of the many things that made MJ revolution our generation was to mix pop and rock, remember Beat It with Eddie Van Halen's solo? That was cool, he knew what was going on and him and Quincy really wanted to revolution pop and rock and they did it for that time period.

No need to defend him anymore my friend, I know about the "Men in Tights", that dad was an idiot and he was out for money whether Michael did anything or not and that is inexcusable.

The reason I think a lot of us are so happy and celebrating Michael is because for the past 15-20 years everything we saw on the news said Michael was called Wacko Jacko, a bad person, they never showed anything positive about him. Imagine being showed as the King of Pop for 10 years in the 80's then in the 90's and up to 2 weeks ago (19 years) you are demonized in the mass media, that has got to kill a person seriously with stress and depression and anxiety and who knows what other mental disorder.

I never saw one positive interview about MJ in the 90's that is just not right when he wrote so many great songs during that period.

I agree..MJ was the greatest entertainer of all time. I, too, watched this morning from the time they loaded his casket in the back of that hearse until they left Staples Center. I was pretty much in tears from the time Mariah came out until the end, too. I am not ashamed to admit I am a big sap as well.
I can't help but feel confused by comments that it was a circus, I thought it was handled very respectfully, aside from a few of the 'shout outs' during but for the most part, the fans inside were appropriate. Yes, the media goes overboard but it's their job.

I thought the songs/tributes were beautiful, and the words spoken were spoken from the heart. These were people that knew Michael, and the fact they chose to share their feelings with the world was to me, an incredibly touching and selfless act. The Jackson family knows how much Michael meant to the world. They could have held a private ceremony but they gave the world one last part of MJ to hold onto, knowing so many needed it.
They have amazing strength for holding their composure the way they did. I still can't figure out how Jermaine got through 'Smile'. It was so moving, my heart was breaking. I am not overly religious, but I will say May God Bless them all, especially those beautiful children.

Yeah that about nails it, when Jermaine was singing Smile I think he was feeling a lot of emotion but he made it sound very good.

I only saw it from the guy playing Human Nature, and wow I thought he was really good, it sounded lovely.

then I enjoyed Jermaine singing Smile.

I think my prob was I was part-detached in watching it. it was sad yes, but I found myself feeling all sort of :scratch: at moments like Jacksons son chewing gum in a chilled-out manner. it looked so...disrespectful to me, or somethin. oh dont have a go at me! :( Im not in a good frame of mind at mo and at times found it sad like when the brothers spoke, but at times found it strange, like it should have happened month away - like a big Celebration Memorial with fans there, etc, after he was buried.

:reject:

:hug: to everyone here.

Mad, I admit I noticed the gum chewing but chalked it up to a kid who had every right to be nervous/uncomfortable.

I will also admit to feeling strange while Paris was speaking. Yes, it was so very sad..but it made me feel like an intruder at that point. I'm in no way faulting her for sharing her feelings, it was a natural outpouring of emotion. It just felt like we should not have been privy to that.

That was John Mayer playing guitar on Human Nature. I caught him on Larry King later saying how he was honored that they asked him to participate. He had never met MJ. I thought it was well done.

No problem..I'm glad I can come here and share. My husband is 10 yrs. older than me and isn't as sentimental/sensitive as I am. So, thanks to you, too :hug:

Back
Top Bottom