R.I.P. Michael Jackson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When Mariah Carey came out and sang I'll Be There, I starting crying. Watching the sadness in Brooke's eyes, and her trying to stay composed (she was shaking). And watching Usher at the end of the song.... :sad:

Just a beautiful send-off. :sad: :hug:

I tried not to...but when I'll Be There, which I've always thought Mariah sang beautifully...when that came on, it was pretty much downhill for me. My eyes stayed red the entire time pretty much. I didn't bawl but you know, guys aren't supposed to.

Lionel Richie, Jermaine, Usher, all of them...simply beautiful.

Every generation has its heroes or icons whether its in sports, entertainment etc. I was born after the Elvis craze & was a little too young to go crazy over the Beatles. For me & many of us over or near the age of 30 Michael Jackson was our icon.
As people said he bridged a lot of gaps in society, making it possible for people of all races to recognize each other. He used MTV as a stepping stone to come into all our hearts & homes. True not all his songs were great but there were plenty that were. He must have been awesome live & unfortunately most of us won't get that chance now. I wish I had seen him when I had the chance. Many of the shows/concerts now can be traced back to him, with the lights, effects and videos.
Not only did MJ inspire a lot of artists he also gave back a lot to the world. It seems to me all he ever wanted was to make the world a better place. Hearing and reading the stories about his charities, & all the other things he did, like bringing kids into his shows free, We are the World etc proves that.
I wouldn't want to live his life though, not being able to go anywhere IN THE WORLD and not be noticed. That must have been scary for someone who never really seemed to grow up. I'll remember him as a shy person who shunned the spotlight but relished it on stage.
But the one thing I will remember about Michael Jackson is he just wanted to love and be loved back. I hope his kids are able to live some sort of "normal" life and are able to grow up as individuals. I don't care what allegations or stories we've heard nothing was ever proven, so let's all remember him for what he was.

THE GREATEST ENTERTAINER EVER!

RIP MICHAEL

I thought Brooke Shields was the most genuine speaker-she spoke from her heart about the person she knew.

I don't know how anyone's heart wouldn't break seeing Paris and what she said. She's just a beautiful little girl who lost her Daddy.

Smile
tho' your heart is aching
smile
even tho' it's breaking
when there are clauds in the sky
you'll get by
if you
smile through your fear and sorrow
smile and maybe tomorrow
you'll see the sun come shining thru for you.
Light up your face with gladness
hide ev'ry trace of sadness
altho' a tear maybe ever so near
that's the time you must keep on trying
smile
what's the use of crying
you'll find that life is stillworth while
if you'll just smile.

I love this song.

supposedly, it was Michael's favorite song.

'Smile' was the theme music for Chaplin last silent picture 'Modern Times' in 1936

Tony Bennett does a great version of it, too.

One thing I was truly greatful about this memorial, is that Joe Jackson has been gagged and not been in the spotlight at all today! :up:

that is not true,

speaker's mentioned him along with the rest of the family

he was on stage during the closing, 'we are the world'

:up: That song will never not be moving. I have yet to hear Jermaine sing it, but I'm getting there.

Catching up with my DVR on the whole thing at the moment.

Moving on..

I thought Jennifer Hudson did a fine job too

Less boobies at memorial services pls, Mariah

not to be negative, but I'm not a big fan of her voice. Volume doesnt equal quality.

and I will, under no circumstances, utter the phrase "less boobies"

I know there was an internet rumour at one point stating one of the boys admitted he had lied and it turned out to be false but I'm not sure if this is the one. :hmm:

I really liked that Mariah had Trey Lorenz singing it with her - he totally made that song back on her Unplugged album.

I wish she'd sounded a little better, although it was probably a combination of emotion and just not having the voice she did back then (which I think she's talked about, how not using her voice properly over the years has killed some of the range she used to have).

But that's pretty nitpicky. She was a good choice to have sing the song.

Also, dumb question - was that Latoya or Janet with her hair in a bun and holding Paris at the end? I know there was someone under a giant hat whose hair looked maybe kind of blondish - I couldn't tell who was who with the hats and dark glasses.

Obviously AEG who owns the Staples Center will pay for any costs relates to Staples Center. They are after all going to be releasing tons of Micheal rehearsal footage and documentary so I wouldn't worry about that. LA Lakers don't own the Stapes Center. They are going to be making tons of cash from the rehearsal footage made into a Blueray and DVD.

London Calling

Exclusive: Today’s memorial for Michael Jackson won’t be the last. Sources tell me that Jackson insiders are planning a true memorial concert for what would have been the singer’s 51st birthday on Aug. 29. The location would be the O2 Arena in London, where Jackson was set to start his “This Is It” concert tour this coming Monday. Details to follow.

I'm pretty sure that's the mayor of LA who approved this when he really shouldn't have, considering the state's budget crisis.

They'll make up the money in the influx of tourism this week and the next, and the week after that...

Exactly, the estimated money that L.A businesses (hotels, food services) will receive from all the MJ fans and media coming to the city is at least 4 + million dollars. There are people coming from all over the world.

Okay, I cried when Al Sharpton addressed his kids.

Sharpton kicked ass in his speach, sometimes I dislike him but man if he wants to do a good speach that lots of people agree with he really has power in his words. I'm so happy if addresed the kids ( I can't remember, it's been a long day) :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom