R.I.P. Michael Jackson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh and Im going to sound a bit - I dunno - uncaring? - or something - bitchy even - to say that I thought 50 shows in London, even when announced, was absolutely mind-boggling CRAZY amount to have thought about doing!

Take a number for that one, Maddie. I don't think anyone thought Michael would make it through 50 shows.

yeah, at the time it sounded so crazy!

seeing those last shots of him rehearsing They Dont Care, he does look kinda weakish, but yet, still makin strong dance moves.

to be honest thou, I never checked to see if he would have had the dates stretched out.

^ lol

I still feel weirdly busted up about MJ. Didn't think about him for years and now that he's gone, I keep getting waves of sadness.

City councilwoman would 'love it' if Jackson family helped pay memorial costs

8:51 AM | July 6, 2009

Los Angeles City Councilwoman Jan Perry said she was concerned about the cost involved in Tuesday's huge Michael Jackson memorial and would "love it" if the Jackson family helped pay some of those bills.

let's put blanket to work washing dishes

I still feel weirdly busted up about MJ. Didn't think about him for years and now that he's gone, I keep getting waves of sadness.

I know, right? It's very weird. As much as I feel the media has gone way past the point of "overkill," (CNN, I'm looking at you) there's no way I'm not going to watch the coverage of the memorial tomorrow.

And despite my weird feelings about it and my annoyance at the talking heads on my TV, I still am really enjoying the hell out of my Essential MJ CDs. I was blasting them and jamming in my car on the way to Spokane on Saturday. Great way to start the trip.

^ lol

I still feel weirdly busted up about (insert name here).

you realize this could be anyone, that crokes

I feel the same I did before he died

I remember people saying they felt more patriotic after 911

I don't get it.

I guess they were W's enablers.

And despite my weird feelings about it and my annoyance at the talking heads on my TV, I still am really enjoying the hell out of my Essential MJ CDs. I was blasting them and jamming in my car on the way to Spokane on Saturday. Great way to start the trip.

I guess it is a sense of community

your cd, will not evaporate anytime soon,

I will be listening to some of my Rolling Stones recordings, truly great stuff,

will they be any sweeter when Jagger is dead?

will they be any sweeter when Jagger is dead?

Maybe. Maybe not for you, but for someone else who'd maybe gotten tired of their songs years ago, or hadn't really gotten into their music when he was alive, maybe they will be sweeter.

This should come as a surprise to absolutely no one, but music affects people differently, and sometimes events - maybe a random thing that happens to you, maybe someone's death - will cause them to hear the music differently, appreciate the music more, or maybe even less.

Or maybe when Jagger dies, you'll just feel smug that you appreciated his music all along, not like these johnny-come-latelies who just apparently discovered their feelings about the music when he died.

Does it matter?

The Stones were one of my first favorite bands. Let It Bleed was one of the first CDs I actually went out and purchased with my own money. I think I was 13. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that when Jagger dies, I will go on a Stones listening binge and it will bring back all those memories and, yes, the music will be sweeter. To me.

Just like how it's felt sweet to hear Billie Jean and Man In The Mirror being blasted out of every bar jukebox for the last week or so. Anyways...

That ghost video clip that BVS posted scared the crap out of me.

I don't feel smug about any of this

I think MJ is a great artist and I am sad he died

his music is just not more to me now,

if I heard Billie Jean last week, I would have paused and appreciated it, I always did.

I am sad for the London shows that will not get performed

I hope they would have been successful, the media would not been as kind to him if he had lived, he would have had to have earned it,
I think there would have been nay sayers and positive reviews.
and many would have not paid much attention.

I hope they would have been successful, the media would not been as kind to him if he had lived, he would have had to have earned it,

This is completely true. Watching the reactions online, primarily on a celeb gossip website I frequent, it's reaching the point where now inevitably someone will comment on every new story (and there are many) about how no one would have cared two weeks ago, or there would have been 500 comments of LOL WACKO JACKO instead of 500 comments of people being all sad and sympathetic now.

And among those sad and sympathetic posters are a LOT of people who had, in the past, never had one good thing to say about Michael when a story about him would appear.

Just another bit of me being fascinated by the social phenomenon following his death.)

And deep, I'm sorry to have insinuated you were being smug - it just reminded me of the stuff I'd been seeing, about "oh, you're just sad now, but I've been loving his music forever, where were you five weeks ago when everyone was laughing at him and his 50 concerts" kind of thing.

I still feel weirdly busted up about (insert name here).

you realize this could be anyone, that crokes

I feel the same I did before he died

Not true at all for me. I was sad for a nanosecond when Heath Ledger died and never really thought about it again, for example. I do not have the same feelings for all celebrities that die. Most of the time it's "aw, that's sad" and then I move on. The last time I was very sad about a celebrity death was Jeff Buckley and before that it was John Lennon. I am sad the London shows won't happen - I would have liked to have seen them be successful and to maybe even see more of MJ on my TV again, dancing and performing on award shows, etc. I'm sad about his tortured life. I'm happy to have the music as I have always appreciated it so I'm sad there won't be any more. Why is that difficult to understand? I don't get the 9/11 comparison.

I was just thinking this the other day. Its really weird. I dont think a celebrity death has ever affected me this way. Its not like I'm moping around the house sobbing all day, but theres still the occational feeling of sadness that should really be gone by now. For me, I think it has to do with nostalgia for my childhood. There are just so many MJ songs that instantly remind me of growing up in the 80s. Its sad to think that the guy who provided much of that is gone

I was just thinking this the other day. Its really weird. I dont think a celebrity death has ever affected me this way. Its not like I'm moping around the house sobbing all day, but theres still the occational feeling of sadness that should really be gone by now. For me, I think it has to do with nostalgia for my childhood. There are just so many MJ songs that instantly remind me of growing up in the 80s. Its sad to think that the guy who provided much of that is gone

This

The only other time that comes close is the murder of John Lennon. I stayed home from school the day after.

I'm feeling this too. I've pinned it down to because he hasn't been buried yet. When he is finally, knowing me I'll shed another tear or two and then my personal "grieving" - and I hate to use that word because it seems weird to use for someone you don't even know - will be over and it will be just about the good memories. Right now those good memories are mixed with sadness because he isn't really laid to rest yet, is what I'm trying to say..

This

The only other time that comes close is the murder of John Lennon. I stayed home from school the day after.

I'd have to agree with Jive Turkey, and shari's post about John Lennon. I can't even really remember where I was/what I was doing :reject: I was shocked & saddened by Heath Ledger's passing last year, but the one or two that still gets to me is Paul Newman and George Carlin :love: With Paul, I knew he was up in years and was sick, so it wasn't as much a shock, but still much sadness. And with George, I happened to be cruising the forum and saw that a thread had been started about him passing, and I was in total shock & ran to the TV. I still get choked up now thinking about him. Right afterwards, HBO aired all of his specials back to back, and I just sat and watched them. I let Maddy watch them too, even with the "bad language" so she could see his genius.

Sorry I derailed the thread here. I'm sure I will be glued to my TV in the morning, and shed a few tears. I've listened to some songs over the last couple of days, and Man In The Mirror still stands out to me.

R.I.P. M.J.

There are 17 helicopters in the sky, over the memorial service right now. The pilot of one of them from KTLA tv station is saying that the view is surreal...

I'm glad I don't have to work until tonight. I really want to watch this as it happens not on my DVR. E! was showing the motorcade of about 30-odd cars as they went to the cemetery for the private funeral, and from a helicopter they showed the family/friends getting out of the car. Katherine and Michael's kids were the first to show up (they say the kids will be at the public memorial as well). I think it's hitting me and probably a lot of people all over again. Initially, of course even if some people predicted this end for him, it was still a shock, but I think a lot of us have become sort of numb to it with the constant coverage and speculation over the past 2 weeks give or take a couple days. But today, knowing that a casket is going to be sitting in the middle of the Staples Center, surrounded by thousands of people and countless millions watching all over the world, with Michael Jackson's body in it is just too hard to comprehend. It's so final today. Obviously we've known since the moment it was announced he had passed that he was gone forever, but this cements it. He's not coming back. Everybody dies, and we all know that, but when you look back at this life and see what he accomplished and what he went through and the pain he must have endured, it's heartbreaking to realize he'll never have that chance to do what he loved to do on stage again. He won't get to see his kids that he loved so much grow up. The people closest to him said he was just starting to get so happy and excited again about the tour and about showing his kids what he did best and for that chance to be taken from just when he was starting to get his life back is sad.:sad:

Sounds like they were able to keep the private service private? Hope so. Hope if they're planning on a private burial, that's kept private as well.

I'm going to watch the coverage, but I don't know how long I'll last through it. If it's just an endless stream of celebrities getting up to sing or talk, I won't watch much of it.

Just watched them load the casket into the hearse :sad: You know what? That has made it *real* to me. Until just this moment it has seemed like a news story.

I have got CNN on the tv along with a couple streaming LA stations with their helicopters on the computer......iTunes on in the background playing Michael

Back
Top Bottom