R.I.P. Dixie Carter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
I'm seriously bummed about this one. Goodnight, Miss Julia Sugarbaker.

'Designing Women' star Dixie Carter dies - CNN.com

Julia: Excuse me, aren't you Marjorie Leigh Winnick, the current Miss Georgia World?

Marjorie: Why, yes I am.

Julia: I'm Julia Sugarbaker, Suzanne Sugarbaker's sister. I couldn't help over hearing part of your conversation.

Marjorie: Well, I'm sorry. I didn't know anyone was here.

Julia: Yes, and I gather from your comments there are a couple of other things you don't know, Marjorie. For example, you probably didn't know that Suzanne was the only contestant in Georgia pageant history to sweep every category except congeniality, and that is not something the women in my family aspire to anyway. Or that when she walked down the runway in her swimsuit, five contestants quit on the spot. Or that when she emerged from the isolation booth to answer the question, "What would you do to prevent war?" she spoke so eloquently of patriotism, battlefields and diamond tiaras, grown men wept. And you probably didn't know, Marjorie, that Suzanne was not just any Miss Georgia, she was the Miss Georgia. She didn't twirl just a baton, that baton was on fire. And when she threw that baton into the air, it flew higher, further, faster than any baton has ever flown before, hitting a transformer and showering the darkened arena with sparks! And when it finally did come down, Marjorie, my sister caught that baton, and 12,000 people jumped to their feet for sixteen and one-half minutes of uninterrupted thunderous ovation, as flames illuminated her tear-stained face! And that, Marjorie - just so you will know - and your children will someday know - is the night the lights went out in Georgia!

I'm seriously bummed about this one. ...

ok, I'll except a certain amount of 'bummed-ness' with this passing, 70 less years than many are getting these days,

I find it hard to be 'shocked' and 'sadden' when people pass in their mid 80s and older.

31,408* - that's all we really get, if we are lucky.

* number of days in a reasonable human life span.

Oh, okay. If you pass away when you're in your 80s, I'm sure no one will be sad about it.

I roll my eyes a bit when people say they're "shocked" when an old person died, but it's ridiculous to suggest that people shouldn't be "saddened."

Re: celebrities, I'm bummed that the actress behind one of my favorite TV characters has died.

Oh, okay. If you pass away when you're in your 80s, I'm sure no one will be sad about it.

I guess we just look at these things from our own life experiences.

I am very aware that we all have expiration dates.

when I see people in their 80s, I know their time on this earth is short.

When I see people in there 30s and 40s I expect them to be around a bit longer.

I began thinking about these things when I was 10 years old, as I watched my mother die at age 40.

When my father died in 2002 at age 87, I was sad, yes. But also grateful that he lived that long.

I did not feel cheated?, robbed or the emptiness I felt in 1991, when my older sister died at age 37.

I have spent a lot of time thinking about death, and what is a reasonable amount of time one should expect in a lifetime.

so for Dixie, and Hal I am more sad at 70 years,

George Burns, smoking a cigar at 100, he had it good.

Same for Bob Hope, also got the 100 year run.

Yes, of course when people I know die at an old age, I am glad for their long life in the midst of the natural sadness at losing them.

But if it's still all right with you, I'll continue to be "bummed" at Dixie Carter dying.

Back
Top Bottom