R.I.P. Blake Edwards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wasn't able to comment in this thread earlier because I didn't want to write anything on my phone, but now that I have a new computer I can take some more time.

I spent a good deal last year hunting down various Blake Edwards films and he's quickly become one of my favorites. While he does have a good number of noteworthy comedies, I think he was equally adept at other styles, as evidenced by his work on a very brutal film about alcoholism, The Days of Wine and Roses (Jack Lemmon's first serious role, if I'm not mistaken), an underrated western called Wild Rovers, and his epic musical Darling Lili. I can't say enough about the latter, which has become notorious for being one of the films signaling the end of the studio system and lavish productions with the rise of New Hollywood. While much of it is old fashioned (and charmingly so), there is some really exciting direction during the production numbers, and some thrilling aerial dogfight recreations. It's all over the place tonally, but I think Edwards manages to juggle these disparate elements pretty damned well. And Julie Andrews (who he would marry before the film's release), has never looked lovelier than she does in this film.

Well-worth checking out.

I also enjoyed The Tamarind Seed, another romantic espionage film (this time minus the songs) which has a nice adult relationship between Andrews and Omar Sharif. I had to find it online, but it's another film which deserves a better reputation.

S.O.B., which is a lot easier to find, is one of the best poison valentines to Hollywood ever made. It's demented yet pointed in its satire and also has William Holden in his final role, as well as Richard Mulligan (known to some from his brilliant work on Soap, to others for...Punky Brewster) and a host of notable character actors.

And then there's "10" with Dudley Moore, which has me giggling just thinking about it. As funny as the Pink Panther films and The Party are, I think Edwards' greatest contribution was making really funny films for and about adults. His observations about middle age and gender are sorely missed in the films of the last couple decades, not only in "10" but in Victor/Victoria, Sunset, Skin Deep, The Man Who Loved Women, etc.

Such an extensive filmography, so many highlights. R.I.P.

I wasn't able to comment in this thread earlier because I didn't want to write anything on my phone, but now that I have a new computer I can take some more time.

I spent a good deal last year hunting down various Blake Edwards films and he's quickly become one of my favorites. While he does have a good number of noteworthy comedies, I think he was equally adept at other styles, as evidenced by his work on a very brutal film about alcoholism, The Days of Wine and Roses (Jack Lemmon's first serious role, if I'm not mistaken), an underrated western called Wild Rovers, and his epic musical Darling Lili. I can't say enough about the latter, which has become notorious for being one of the films signaling the end of the studio system and lavish productions with the rise of New Hollywood. While much of it is old fashioned (and charmingly so), there is some really exciting direction during the production numbers, and some thrilling aerial dogfight recreations. It's all over the place tonally, but I think Edwards manages to juggle these disparate elements pretty damned well. And Julie Andrews (who he would marry before the film's release), has never looked lovelier than she does in this film.

Well-worth checking out.

I also enjoyed The Tamarind Seed, another romantic espionage film (this time minus the songs) which has a nice adult relationship between Andrews and Omar Sharif. I had to find it online, but it's another film which deserves a better reputation.

S.O.B., which is a lot easier to find, is one of the best poison valentines to Hollywood ever made. It's demented yet pointed in its satire and also has William Holden in his final role, as well as Richard Mulligan (known to some from his brilliant work on Soap, to others for...Punky Brewster) and a host of notable character actors.

And then there's "10" with Dudley Moore, which has me giggling just thinking about it. As funny as the Pink Panther films and The Party are, I think Edwards' greatest contribution was making really funny films for and about adults. His observations about middle age and gender are sorely missed in the films of the last couple decades, not only in "10" but in Victor/Victoria, Sunset, Skin Deep, The Man Who Loved Women, etc.

Such an extensive filmography, so many highlights. R.I.P.

All of this sounds really excellent. Some how or another I've managed to never hear of Blake Edwards, and in retrospect I feel really inadequate for this (I've never seen any of the Pink Panther movies :slant: ).

S.O.B. sounds like something I'd love so I think I'll check that out first (Someday I'll have an interest in watching The Pink Panther, I'm sure...just not right now).

He also directed Breakfast at Tiffany's. For better or worse. :)

Me, I love the movie, even though I understand the criticisms of it.

Oh really? I've been meaning to see that pretty much forever (I loved that retarded song about it when I was a kid), just never have gotten around to it.

Back
Top Bottom