Parks and Recreation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's the deal.....

I've seen clips of this show.....I've seen the Pilot......I've seen the episode "Practice Date" from the second season....none of it won me over.

Now, given all the critical praise and the fact that my sister calls it the best thing ever, I really want to like this but don't think I will. I understand that the first season is widely regarded as a piece of shit, but the "Practice Date" episode that I randomly watched a couple years back didn't really make me laugh much more. Did I just pick a weak choice for a second outing?

Anyway, I'm willing to watch one more episode on Netflix. Any recommendations?

That was a pretty funny episode. I'd say just watch the first few episodes of season two and see if it clicks.

Personally I don't like it as much as I do Community but it's still a great show.

That said, I've never really liked 30 Rock.

Yeah, my sister said it was one of her favorite episodes also. I think the show probably just isn't for me. It's character based humor, mostly from what I can gather/little that I've seen....I'm not against that (I absolutely love King Of The Hill), but I just don't think this works for me. Parks & Recreation kind of reminds me of Modern Family although Parks is not as obvious with its humor. Both rely on the characterizations more than anything else, rather than having a lot of great rapid fire deliveries.

Personally, I am more of the 30 Rock type. I love having like 261 jokes thrown at me in a 21 minute span, and the more ridiculous/random the better.

Here's the deal.....

I've seen clips of this show.....I've seen the Pilot......I've seen the episode "Practice Date" from the second season....none of it won me over.

Now, given all the critical praise and the fact that my sister calls it the best thing ever, I really want to like this but don't think I will. I understand that the first season is widely regarded as a piece of shit, but the "Practice Date" episode that I randomly watched a couple years back didn't really make me laugh much more. Did I just pick a weak choice for a second outing?

Anyway, I'm willing to watch one more episode on Netflix. Any recommendations?
Practice Date isn't the best one I'd pick from the second season. Even that season was up and down for the first few episodes before it got consistently great. And I'd definitely argue the third season is better than the second.

My favorites from the second season off the top of my head were Ron & Tammy and Telethon.

I randomly watched a bunch of YouTube clips of this show last night and was in tears most of the time. There will be like a minute of me thinking "hmm...that's clever" and then the scene will end with an action, line or facial expression that just absolutely slays me. Definitely will watch some more of the second season later.

tumblr_lyfwcxeQVK1ro0cbpo3_250.gif

tumblr_lyfwcxeQVK1ro0cbpo4_250.gif

Don't be turned off if the first season doesn't wow you. It's pretty universally agreed that they found their feet in season two.

I went to the Live Talks Los Angeles event last night with Jane Lynch interviewing Amy Poehler. They didn't talk about "Parks" too much but Amy did say she felt the show had the best comedic and dramatic ensemble on television, that Ann and Leslie's relationship is the true romance of the show, and that she's directing an upcoming episode.

He was completely misused when he was on episodes in the past. Hopefully that will change this time.

His star has risen considerably since then, so the writers very well could have taken advantage of it.

Not saying he wasn't a big star before, obviously. But no one enjoyed a better 2011 than Louis CK. Maybe Tim Tebow, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom