Parenthood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
Did anyone watch this on Tuesday? New NBC show, executive produced by Ron Howard and created by a guy named Jason Katims, who is the head writer for Friday Night Lights. Mr. Ron Howard's last foray into television, as we all know, was the decidedly brilliant absurdist Fox sitcom Arrested Development.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed it. What I liked most about it was the palpable air of sadness surrounding it. Most of the characters seem to be harboring some sort of misery or melancholia. I wasn't expecting that, and appreciated it. Of course, there were funny moments as well. And I expect the show to improve with time, as they often do.

The show stars Lauren Graham and Peter Krause, who are two of my very favorite television actors of the last decade. Also, Erika Christensen is around, looking great.

I suspect this thread won't get much action, but I was just curious if anyone watched it and what you thought of it if you did. Gracias.

I forgot it was on. I caught the last 30-40 minutes of it. Seemed alright. Will have to try & catch up on any pertinent info I missed in the first part. May give it another shot if I remember to watch/when it's on.

I enjoyed it okay and will probably stick with it for at least a few weeks. Dax Shephard had some good lines, Coach wasn't bad, and I do like the cast for the most part. Weird seeing Ann so... well, not Ann. She needs to get a mayonegg in an upcoming episode or I'm out.

Given the pedigree of actors and Friday Night Lights' showrunner Jason Katims creating this, I couldn't help but be excited, I think the pilot was a nice set up, but it'll certainly be a challenge for them to make each scene work very well. FNL has a big big ensemble that they manage to balance perfectly, but they're also not always connected and in the same house. At any rate I'm excited to see Peter Krause in a lead role again (still mad at ABC ruining Dirty Sexy Money), and of course ANN!!! Lauren Graham did a good job, but I'm still disappointed to not have Maura Tierney.

such a rare opportunity, treasure it like a fine wine

3 YEAR BUMP

Parenthood was sitting on my netflix instant queue for a year but I finally sat down and started watching S1 yesterday. I'm halfway through the first season now, so yeah I'm enjoying it. On a clinical level it feels like they're running through a check list of Trials of Parenthood (divorcee trying to make it on her own? newly diagnosed kid with autism? mother feels underappreciated for her decision to leave the workforce? slacker suddenly has to grow up? father has to learn to relax with his daughter's first bf), but really what's selling it for me is doing a great job making them interesting characters. The show doesn't need Terrorist Congressmen plotting to double-cross al Qaeda, I just want to see Braverman family dinners.

Amber and Sarah (Mae Whitman/Katara and Lauren Graham) have a great relationship. I think Haddie is the only forgettable member right now, although Doesn't Have A Father Figure Drew is close behind.

Sweeeeeet. I wouldn't call it slow paced, but the last show I caught up on was Homeland, so it's nice to relax watching this and not have an ominous sense of doom watching a high wire act.

Back
Top Bottom